Anyone Henndigo?

Qurlyqt

I'm seriously considering combining henna & indigo in hopes of:
1) finally darkening my orangies and
2) darkening this all-over auburn.
Both of which are results of using henna alone.

Can I get brown by combining henna and indigo? Did you have to try several combinations before you achieved your optimal color? Is a 2-step required in order to get my orangies to darken to brown? I've been using henna for over a year and I want the orangies gone! My natural color is a dirty brown that has turned auburn since using henna. I'm tired of the reddish color, especially the orangies :mob: but I also don't want to embrace my gray. Can any of you henndigo users help?

2sweetnsugarland

Can I get brown by combining henna and indigo? Did you have to try several combinations before you achieved your optimal color? Is a 2-step required in order to get my orangies to darken to brown? I've been using henna for over a year and I want the orangies gone! My natural color is a dirty brown that has turned auburn since using henna. I'm tired of the reddish color, especially the orangies :mob: but I also don't want to embrace my gray. Can any of you henndigo users help?

Honey do I have news for you!!! :yep: I just went thru the same thing. I have been using Henna for over 3 years and I have dirty brown hair. I used 1/2 henna and 1/2 boxus/dioxus, I tried 1/2 henna 1/4 indigo 1/4 amla, then I tried 1/2 henna and 1/2 amla to try and tame down the Lucille Ball effect my hair had going on. NOTHING WORKED!!! :wallbash: Just 3 months ago I finally bit the bullet and used 1/2 henna and 1/2 indigo and I love the color!!! :grin: It's not a midnight black but it is a natural black with just the slightest hint of brown undertones. Yes it is a 2 step process. I mix my henna with orange juice and conditioner and leave it out over night. Then I apply it to my entire head, but for touch ups I apply it to my roots ONLY. Then after sitting in a plastic bag for 3-4 hours I rinse it out and then apply the indigo. I mix the indigo with warm water. Remember the indigo is only active for 15 minutes so put it on quick!!! I let that sit on my head for 1 hour the first time I used it but now I let it sit for 30 minutes or so. Rinse it out, wash/condition as usual/style and I'm on my way. No you cannot get brown by combining henna and indigo. Henna and indigo makes black. I'll be 50 in a matter of days so I know what you mean about not embracing the gray hair. I'm fighting mine down to my very last breath!!! Also go to www.hennaforhair.com and they have some excellent information on their website. Hope this helps!!!

laurend

I always use henna and Indigo because if I use henna alone, I would look like Bozo the clown. My hair is 50% gray because I started graying at a young age. I get the best coverage with the two step process. I henna my new growth for one hour, rinse, and then apply Indigo to new growth and let it sit for 1 hour and a half. I need to get it real dark to cover the gray.

MelodicVessel

2sweet, may I ask what is "boxus/dioxus" ?

OP, I tried a 1:2 indigo:henna ratio on my mom's 97.21% WHITE newgrowth last month. It still came out dark orange. Next week, I will try a 1:1 ratio on her and see how that works. I did this as a 1-step process.

From what I understand, you can get a dark auburn or brownish color with a 1-step process and you will get a blackish color with the 2-step process (putting the indigo on in the 2nd step). Have you checked out the free ebook on hennaforhair.com? It explains this.

I will be trying the 1:2 or the 1:1 ratio on my own hair this weekend. I have been hennaing for several months now (premature gray, LOTS on the top of my head, 50% white maybe). I too wish to tone down the oranginess.

I hope it works out for you! Whatever you try, please report back!

DivaD04

Honey do I have news for you!!! :yep: I just went thru the same thing. I have been using Henna for over 3 years and I have dirty brown hair. I used 1/2 henna and 1/2 boxus/dioxus, I tried 1/2 henna 1/4 indigo 1/4 amla, then I tried 1/2 henna and 1/2 amla to try and tame down the Lucille Ball effect my hair had going on. NOTHING WORKED!!! :wallbash: Just 3 months ago I finally bit the bullet and used 1/2 henna and 1/2 indigo and I love the color!!! :grin: It's not a midnight black but it is a natural black with just the slightest hint of brown undertones. Yes it is a 2 step process. I mix my henna with orange juice and conditioner and leave it out over night. Then I apply it to my entire head, but for touch ups I apply it to my roots ONLY. Then after sitting in a plastic bag for 3-4 hours I rinse it out and then apply the indigo. I mix the indigo with warm water. Remember the indigo is only active for 15 minutes so put it on quick!!! I let that sit on my head for 1 hour the first time I used it but now I let it sit for 30 minutes or so. Rinse it out, wash/condition as usual/style and I'm on my way. No you cannot get brown by combining henna and indigo. Henna and indigo makes black. I'll be 50 in a matter of days so I know what you mean about not embracing the gray hair. I'm fighting mine down to my very last breath!!! Also go to www.hennaforhair.com and they have some excellent information on their website. Hope this helps!!!
see now, ive been eyeing henna and indigo for 2 yrs now. i knew alot of folks in saudi arabia...alot of men walk around with burnt orange/red hair all day/every from henna alone. i knew indigo would go hand and hand with henna...i just knew it. thanks for confirming my thoughts. i'll be glad when i jump on the henndigo bandwagon. now, those who don't want to walk around with orange hair, don't have to...just adjust the ratios to one liking. thx y'all!

Minty

you girls every try black tea - not brewed, but very strong low boiled black tea? I do the two step sometimes, but other times I mix Henna with black tea.

2sweetnsugarland

2sweet, may I ask what is "boxus/dioxus" ?

I'm sorry I spelled it incorrectly. What I used was Buxus dioica. It is a plant that grows in Yemen. Buxus dioica is also called Katam. The leaves of buxus dioica have a mouse-gray dye. I used this trying to get to a dark brown but of course it did not work!!!

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
My Suggestion would be: the First time, I would do the 2 Step Process to ensure that all the Orangey Color was sufficiently Covered.:yep:

Then, You could consider mixing the Henna/Indigo for the Darkest Warm Brown or Dark Browish Black.

I cover my Grey using Henna & Indigo. If I haven't done it in a while, I'll do the 2 Step Process.:look:

However, afterwards, I am perfectly fine combining the two (after the dye has been released from the Henna and the Indigo has been mixed with Warm Water and a Dash of Salt) and it gives me great color (A Dark Brown) which is close to my natural color.:grin:

Qurlyqt

Re: Anyone Henndigo? ***TaTa Orangies - Pics***

After much research, I decided to do a 1-step Hendigo on my edges only. The pesky orangies that seemed to stand at attention when I would slick my hair back are gone! :dance7: Here are some before & after shots. The first thumbnail is before & after of my right side, second thumbnail is of my left side.

Since I'm in the Bun Challenge, I can't use the braidout to hide my edges so I HAD to do something. Just from looking at the pics, you can't tell exactly how many there really were. (Camera doesn't seem to capture them unless the lighting is absolutely exact.) :perplexed There were just enough to work my nerves... but they are G-O-N-E. Goodbye, and good riddance. At least for now.

Attachments

• HendigoA.jpg
    HendigoA.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 45
  • HendigoB.jpg
    HendigoB.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 44

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
I did the 2 step today on my natural graying mom. She has indogo on her head now......

wheezy807

I know how you feel about the red and orangie hair combo. In the past i've rinsed my hair back to back with two different red rinses (bright red and burgundy), then a (uva) grape rinse. After that i try a black rinse but it didn't take. In Nov. i did a gold rinse. So now my hair is two toned with red and orange. I actually ordered some indigo over a week ago. As soon as it comes i plan on doing the henna and then the indigo for black hair results. I don't even want brown hair (i think mines is naturally brown too) just give me BLACK! This will be my first time using henna so i am very excited.

Sorry for the long post.:look:

Qurlyqt

Msbhaven, how did it turn out?

Spain4risha, I've only found it on hennaforhair.com.

Omg, Wheezy807, girl you've been through a lot! Sounds like you have a plan, though. Don't forget to post pics of what I know will be your gorgeous black hair.

Last edited:

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Is it very messy?:blush: I'm scared, but I need to do this. I hate looking older than my age. My grays are mostly in the middle of my head. I hide them very well.:yep::rolleyes:

Qurlyqt

So Indigo alone doesn't darken your hair?

Nope, indigo alone will turn your hair blue/purple like a little old lady! :blush: I had heard/read this but thought I'd take a shortcut on someone else's hair when they insisted that I skip the henna because they didn't want to invest that much time. It was indeed bluish! I ended up having to go back and do the 2 step to get their hair black.

Qurlyqt

Is it very messy?:blush: I'm scared, but I need to do this. I hate looking older than my age. My grays are mostly in the middle of my head. I hide them very well.:yep::rolleyes:

Yes indeed! It CAN get messy but because I've been using henna for over a year, I've definitely gotten better and it is less messy now. I feel you on "hiding" but mine were along the edges and the only way I could truly hide mine was to wear my hair loose. I joined a Bun Challenge recently and there was no more hiding those orangies. I had to something... quick!

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center

I think the more you do it, the better your technique gets. For me, it's more time consuming than anything. BUT.........................

It will Give you Superior Color, Shine and Health. I like the Naturalness of it and it gives me Far Better 'Color' than any Bottled Color out there.

The Consistency should be that of 'stirred yogurt' and then you must wrap with Saran Wrap. I always put on a plastic Cap (or 2) over that and let sit.

To Get Black/Deep Brownish-Black Hair you must first Stain with Henna, then Apply the Indigo. OR Use Less Henna/More Indigo Mix Prepare Both Separately and then Mix together.:yep:

Hi, I've been a lurker for many, many years but I just paid recently.

I have been using a mixture of Henna and Indigo for the past several months and it's working great for me. My hair is medium to dark brown and the Henna & Indigo mixture has definitely helped my greys blend into my hair and it's given them a dark auburn or light brown color.

I tried several combinations. I started with 2/3 Henna and 1/3 Indigo but that made my greys orange and brassy. I didn't care for that at all. Then I tried the 1/2 Henna and 1/2 Indigo but the greys still weren't dark enough for me. Now I'm using 2/3 Indigo and 1/3 Henna and I really like this combination and it blends my greys with the rest of my hair very nicely!

My recipe is as follows: I mix the henna in a small glass bowl, with either Chai Tea or Green Tea, at least 12 or more hours before I plan to use it. After I have mixed it I cover the bowl with Saran Wrap and leave it on my counter (overnight). The next day when I am readly to get started, I then mix the Indigo and another glass bowl with warm salt water (sea salt disolved in hot water) and then I let that sit for about 15 minutes. When I am ready to combine the Henna and Indigo, I first add some (couple tablespoons) olive oil or almond oil to the Henna and about 15 drops of Rosemary Oil, then I mix that all together and combine it with the Indigo mixture (it's in the bigger bowl) and stir it all together. It is usually about the consistency of stirred up yogurt. I apply the entire mixture to my previously shampooed and semi-dry (damp) hair. I wrap my head with Saran Wrap and then cover that with a plastic conditioning cap. I usually try to keep it on for about 6 hours and I use my heating cap for an hour in the beginning and another hour at the end. After 6 hours, I rinse, rinse, rinse and rinse some more with water and then I use V05 conditioner to do a few CO washes. After I have washed out most (if not all) of the henna I do a Deep Condition with one of the many, many, many conditioners that I have on hand. I leave that on for atleast a couple hours (sometimes several and occasionally overnight) and once I have rinsed that out I style as usual which is a Wash and Go. I give my hair a couple days to let the henna/indigo oxidize and bring out the final color before I use shampoo (or a shampoo bar).

I hope that helps!

Qurlyqt

DDTexlax, indigo didn't stain my sink/shower, etc. I even found some several days later that I wasted and was now dry, afraid it would stain but it came off with a little cleaner.

CQ Diddly, thanks for your detailed response. Is the 2/3 mix of indigo getting your hair almost black? Or do you still see a tint when in direct sunlight?

Lola Laughs, loosening of curl pattern? Absolutely!!! I made a post about this - http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=417204&highlight= For this reason, I'm only applying the hendigo to my front hairline (where my gray just recently moved in and took over)! I'm afraid to say "never" but it is doubtful that I will apply henna all over my head again.

LadyPaniolo

This will be the main change to my reggie this year. I'm getting bone tired of the bozo red highlights :clown: and I'm ready to try something new. I could deal with blue-black but I prefer a brown color.

My family greys early... I am only 30 years old and I've been getting the family skunk stripe on my head since I was 19 :cry3:

I love henna but boy do I hate the messiness and the time it takes. Sigh. At least it's way better for my hair than any other way of coloring hair that I know about. I might try tea rinsing, I dunno yet. But I will for sure be doing the henndigo this year.

DDTexlax, indigo didn't stain my sink/shower, etc. I even found some several days later that I wasted and was now dry, afraid it would stain but it came off with a little cleaner.

CQ Diddly, thanks for your detailed response. Is the 2/3 mix of indigo getting your hair almost black? Or do you still see a tint when in direct sunlight?

Lola Laughs, loosening of curl pattern? Absolutely!!! I made a post about this - http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=417204&highlight= For this reason, I'm only applying the hendigo to my front hairline (where my gray just recently moved in and took over)! I'm afraid to say "never" but it is doubtful that I will apply henna all over my head again.

I see my hair as dark brown but I sometimes think I do see the slightest highlights of auburn. Since I actually mix the indigo into the henna (or vice versa) it does not make the hair black.