ANYONE MIXED SHEA BUTTER AND COCONUT OIL?

I did a search didn't find a good answer...

So I though about melting Shea butter and mix it with Coconut oil.
Would it be a good idea?
Anyone ever tried it?

I love both for my hair and I though the two combined would be awesome.

cutiebe2

I did it. I just put the tub of shea butter under hot water and when it melted I added whatever coconut oil I had left (1/4 cup melted?) I also added a few drops of Lavendar for scent

It made the shea a lot easier to apply

*Muffin*

I did. When I whipped my shea butter I added coconut oil to it. If you look at shea butter blends in stores you'll find they mix all sorts of oils in with it. Have fun and find what oil mixture works best for you. You could even whip jojoba, sweet almond oil, EVOO, etc...:yep:.

P.S. IMO, adding oils to shea butter makes it a smoother, more easily spread consistency and also makes your shea butter last longer. And you'll be getting not only the benefits of the shea butter, but also the benefits of whatever oil you melted in with it.

Filmatic

I did this. I did it the same way as the above poster. Make sure you get the shea as melted as possible. It goes in my hair and on my skin a lot smoother.

Jas123

The Star of a Story
i do... coconut oil it helps to thin out shea butter & shea butter keeps the coconut oil in a more solid form and best of all it works great on hair/ends, especially if you want something like a grease w/o petroleum & mineral oil

LadyD

I do. I also add aloe vera gel and glycerin and whip. I use this in my hair daily. It turns out really light and fluffy.

Skiggle

I do!
Instead of lavender I add essential
rosemary/orange oil, avocado oil, and wee bit of castor oil.
It has a nice creamy texture... better alternative
to "Blue Magic".

mj11051

Shealoe

8ozs shea butter
1/2 cup of coconut oil
1/3 cup of aloe vera gel
10 drops of Lavender oil
10 drops of rosemary oil
5 drops of pepermint oil

I add sodium lactate instead of vegetable glycerin and I add a fragrance oil to the mix. I've also made this and added murumuru butter it's a very moisturizing mix. you can get murumuru and other Brazilian butters and oils from this website. www.gardenstatenaturals.com use this code nappturality for a 10 per cent discount. HTH

adw425

My butter mix is shea and cocoa butters, coconut, babassu and camellia oils. It is mostly shea, though, then coconut oil. I infused this with nettle, chamomile and green tea and use it from head to toe.

Whisper

I think I'm going to have to do this with my Shealoe from lotion crafters. I've had it for a while because I don't like the consistency. I need to smooth it out a little. I will try this mix in the morning.

silkii_locks

My mix is shea butter, coconut and aloe vera straight from the plant. :yep:
I don't melt anything though I just scoop the shea butter in a blender and whip until smooth and light. Then I add the coconut oil and aloe. It's absolutely awesome.:yep:

pmichael52172

How do you whip butters? :blush:

I do shea and coconut oil too!.

I just melt them all down (nuke it or put over hot water)

Let it cool or stick it in the fridge enough to get a little thick. Take out my hand blender and start whipping until it has the consistency of cake frosting. I then take my spatula and spoon it into my jars. DONE!