Anyone on their own personal hair challenges?

IMFOCSD

I am on a personal grow my nape challenge and a baggy challenge. I actually don't have a set time to stop my grow nape challenge. As for the baggy challenge I am going to baggy two weeks at a time and on the third week I am going to flat iron my hair and wear it down some days and pinned up other days. Once that week is up it is back to baggying for another two weeks. I plan on doing this consistently until the summer just to see what kind of progress I can make baggying my hair.

Am I the only one with personal Challenges :look:?

Christa438

I am personally hiding my hair from family and friends until Xmas Day 07. If there is already a challenge out there for this year, I didn't see it but did see last year's. I'm using wigs and half wigs to do my personal challenge. Im also on a personal 3-month stretch challenge. If I master this stretch and my hair does well (it's 2 mo. post & I haven't had any extra breakage or shedding so far :)), then I may consider stretching for 4-6 months the next times.

newflowers

Good topic -

My personal hair challenges involve learning and working to grow longer hair as healthy as possible as I do intend to continue relaxing. Yet I am learning more about hair care than I have ever known and am already benefitting from this new knowledge.

I will not cut my hair even if it is long and I always wear it up so it does not touch my face - I will not cut my hair beyond necessary dustings and trims. As it gorws longer, I will keep it long. Additionally, I am working out a system of hair care that works for me - how often I need to wash my hair, low manipulation with which I am most comfortable, focusing on finding and using the products that work best for me without getting carried away when I read all of the really cool products others here are using. This one can be rather difficult because I like trying new things and I love shopping for the sake of shopping. I am also making a schedule of haircare so I do not get lazy.

Right now, I am in the boards C&G Challenge; however, that was my personal challenge before I dsicovered LHCF. It is easier with support from ladies here certainly. One of the advantages of C&G is that i am in braids until late summer which gives me plenty of time to learn and consider products - those I wish to continue and those new I'd like to try. By maintaining this part of my personal challengeand with the support of the board's challenge, I have not gone out and spent a mint buying stuff - which I probably would have done were I not braided right now. Whent he time comes, I will be reasonable. The expense, within reason, of a product is not as much a concern as is using products that work well for my hair and NOT getting carried away buying everything in sight.

Another personal challenge I have set for myself is to lose 50 pounds by the end of the year - I will not be overweight when I turn 45 - it WILL NOT happen. To effect this goal, while I generally eat well, I have cut out junk food (lays while on my period do not count) and no sodas - fruit juices and water only. I am exercising regularly - taebo and pilates at home. I may work up to joining a gym as I recently discovered my school district will pay everything except the monthly fees, but that's for later. right now, my challenge is to exercise in the morning before work and walk the dog for 30 minutes in the evening. So far, so good even if there are days when I have to drag my but to get it done.

Mom23

I am on a personal challenge to strengthen a weak spot in the back of my nape from my scarf.That little spot is shorter than the rest of my nape, and it's not noticeable to anyone but me, but I know it's there. :cool: I got a bonnet and will give it special treatment with castor oil, deep conditioning, and boundless tresses when I get it. :)

I'm also on my own little grow out challenge until the end of the year. I want to see how much growth I can get and keep. :p

Naphy

I'm on a personnal 3-4 months stretch too ^^ I'm 10 weeks post-relaxer and my hair is not that hard to manage. Co-washes and moisturizers are my best-friends !
I'm also in a hide your hair until april's fool challenhe : this challenge is for LHCFers and not for my family, because I don't plan to relax for april's fool day. So, I will take a picture of my hair only for my fotki, but I won't show my lenght to my familiy.
Others self challengee : protein challenge, apl for may-june (for my birthday more exactly, which is on may 31st), boot camp, and crown and glory (which help me stretch more my relaxers.
Another self-challenge : To be "that girl" > be more confident with myself, more girly, etc... I think this challenge is the hardest one.

pmichael52172

I'm on my personal challenge of using little to no heat. My main source of heat will come from my dryer when I do roller sets.

If my hair is doesn't do right in the morning, I'll either pin it up and work it with my fingers or Steam roll it with the Carusos. Only if I have to, will I use a flat iron.

This alone, I believe will be the catalyst to my hair growth and health.

sheba125

Starting April, my challenge will be hiding my hair. I really would like to wear braids, weaves etc......I want to thicken up my strands and my hairline. I've always had a thin hairline and figured it was genetic since both grandma(grand and great) both have thin hairlines. But I plan on using ORS Temple Balm and while in braids....anyone try ORS Temple Balm and had success?

Also I need to lose weight, I am trying to lose 30lbs by my 30th B-Day....August 23rd. Baked and grilled chicken, crystal light and water and taking a belly dancing class will hopefully help get me there:)

Blackoutzangel05

My Personal Hair Challenge for this year is very simple

1. No trimming, I will dust when my hair needs it but I don't want to get scissor happy

2. Baggy hair 90% of the time. ( I say this because I love variation and I find that phony ponys pull my sides a lot of there are going to be times when I simply take a break)

3. Pay attention to what products are doing to my hair

4. Find my protein/moisturize balance

5. Have healthy APL hair at the end of the year

6. No perms, continue transitioning

RubyWoo

I'm on a personal no blowdryer challenge. I'm planning to never use a blowdryer ever again because it really sucks the moisture out of my hair; even with a heat protectant. The only heat I'll use is from hood dryer for my rollersets and conditioning treatments. My flat iron will be used only on special occassions.

nomadpixi

I'm in the process of leaving the country and want to self relax because where I'm going I won't be able to trust their hair stylists (Australia). So I'm on a "Find the Right Relaxer before it's too late" challenge.

I've found what doesn't work, and what "kind of" works, but no cigar yet. I may have figured out my moisturization regime though, which is good, but I need my strands to thicken up. I have also found a way to use MTG that give me the growth I want without affecting my skin like it did the first time I used it.

Hopefully, I can bet it to APL and thick by the end of 2007.

Lady Esquire

Ever since it grew long enough to fit into a decent ponytail, which was May 2006, I have worn it in a pony, bun, or any kind of hidden style.

I plan to keep doing this until I reach a length that I refer to as a "wow" length. I want to whip my hair, and do the white-girl flip, and get a reaction of "wow"! For me, a "wow" length may be close to BSL. My "wow" needs to be able to bounce and flip and flow when I prance around town.

I just moved to Atlanta, Ga. I need to study for the bar and won't be working until I am admitted to the GA Bar, which will be later this year. In the meantime, I am home chilling with my daughters. This is a great time to wear constant baggie and buns. When I return back to work later this year, I want to look fierce in my suit and hair is an important accessory.

My personal challenge is to retain as much hair as possible. I am hiding my ends until I return to work, with the exception of a handful of holidays and sporadic events in between. :)

Last edited:

brandy

I am on a personal challenge to grow back my hairline. Thicken up my entire hair. Grow extra 6 inches by Dec 2007. Curb my Pjism and use up the products I have. Avoid direct heat on my hair till Dec 07. Stretch my relaxer application to 18 weeks (relax thrice a year). Loose some weight and live healthy.

locabouthair

im on a personal challenge to make my hair stronger and healthier by combing less and eating right. im also on a serious challenge to make it look healthier it looks really dull.

DSP

My current personal challenges are:

1. Take my vitamins
2. Keep my &%#* fingers out of my coils
3. No heat
4. Drink at least 8 glasses of water a day
5. Daily cardio exercise/movement of some sort
6. Resist the PJ urges
7. Treat my hair with love and tenderness, no matter what

C

chica_canella

I am. I don't use any blow dryers, pressing combs or heating utensils until my hair is in the condition I want it to be in.

The Girl

My Personal Challenges:
Take my vitamins
Attempting to stretch for 6 months/transistion but we'll see when summer gets here.
Resist the PJ urges.
Keep it simple and leave my hair alone.
SO far I am halfway getting these done. Lack of money helps with the pjs and stretching. Trying not to get bored with my hair helps me with the keeping it simple part.

IMFOCSD

Wow ladies these are some good challenges. I think I might put myself in a no direct heat challenge so instead of flat ironing my hair I will try doing rollersets to get a straight look. My hair is not long( end of neck) so I will see how that works out. I need to put myself on a water and vitamin challenge also. Hey I might start that beginning this sunday ;)!

dreysonsmommy2011

I'm doing a "what works" challenge that is going to start today actually. I am going to do everything that has proven to work for hair growth the next 3 mo. I'll be charting it in my fotki and I am putting up starting pics today:)

CAPlush

LadyEsquire said:
Ever since it grew long enough to fit into a decent ponytail, which was May 2006, I have worn it in a pony, bun, or any kind of hidden style.

I plan to keep doing this until I reach a length that I refer to as a "wow" length. I want to whip my hair, and do the white-girl flip, and get a reaction of "wow"! For me, a "wow" length may be close to BSL. My "wow" needs to be able to bounce and flip and flow when I prance around town.

I just moved to Atlanta, Ga. I need to study for the bar and won't be working until I am admitted to the GA Bar, which will be later this year. In the meantime, I am home chilling with my daughters. This is a great time to wear constant baggie and buns. When I return back to work later this year, I want to look fierce in my suit and hair is an important accessory.

This is the point I am at. I plan on wearing ultra-conservative elaborate buns, chignons, and updos every day to work and I need to have a lot of hair to pull that off on a consistant basis. Appearance is so important in the legal field (probably too important).

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
I'm on a personal challenge to use up my products and not buy anymore unless needed.

Grow my nape longer because it's shorter than the rest of my hair.

Fill in my thin spot.

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
Personal Challenges

1) Grow back nape and temples - I really should have never got my kinky twists and I definitely should have took them out when I noticed problems. Well, I've been having lots of success with ORS Temple Balm and moisturizing and sealing the areas with Softee Coconut Oil.
2) Extremely limited or no direct heat - The last time I used a flat iron was in December and I very reluctantly used a blowdryer last month. I'm trying to hold out on using either again for at least 6 months, possibly a year
3) Doing my own hair - I haven't been to the stylists since late September and I've managed to keep my hair healthiest without her hands. I'm try to learn self relaxing and rollersetting so I never have to step into a salon again.
4) Healthy diet - Most vitamins are disgusting, point blank. I'm trying to get the healthiest diet I can so I can reach my maximum growth potential without having to take any pills.

gradygirl

My transition is my personal challenge because I have not told anyone not even my husband. I tried it before and announced it to everyone and I got such grief so this time its my own personal thing.

Tamrin

unapologetic
I intend to be at shoulder lenght by june. Baggie at night.. Minimal manipulation.

Relax every 4 months

(even though I gave up 1 week shy of this goal yesterday) I relaxed myself and washed it 6 times with neutralizer. Did a deep conditionimg treatment with Alter Ego Coconut reconstrutor mixed with evoo, amla, kesavardhini, Castor oil peppermint and coconut oil for 30 minutes and did a CO wash with Sebastian Lamiates conditioner. Roller set and sat under my Soft bonnet dryer. when done I wrapped it to take our the curls (I hate curls). my hair is nice thick and and shiny..

Shoulder lenght here I come..

Last edited:

IntoMyhair

I'm on my own challenge kind of a knock off of the boot camp challenge only because when it started i was still a lurker and while in 2 stand twists without extensions i cut all of my hanging ends not to make it even but to get rid of the really long hairs

and I'm thinking of waiting 6 months before relaxing again like the challenge where you grow out your relaxer to find your hair type

I'm just tweaking everything lol

bLackButtaFly

I've been challenging myself for almost a year not to get braids, twists or anything and see what I can do with my hair with a little rpactice and a lot of love. Just trying to see what products, styles, techniques work for me. So far so good, It'll be a year this May;)

tatje

Sweetcoco, I am just in love with your baby boy. He is so beautiful. I love looking at the pictures. What a great blessing.:)

tatje

Oh I forgot to answer the question. My personal challenges are to take my vitamins everyday (not every other day) and keep up with my deep conditioning, essential oils, and baggie method as well as trying to stretch for 5-6 months. (With stretching I'm always on a challenge).

Everything else-no heat, bunning etc. are not challenges for me so that's why I didn't add them.