Aphogee Protein Treatment changed their ingredients?

OnceUponAtime

It says it's pH optimized and I don't remember that on the previous package. The bottle is different and it seems that the ingredients have change.

Old bottle is white and box shaped.
Ingredients (copied from a sale site so it may not be complete):
Deionized Water, Hydrolyzed Animal Protein, Magnesium Sulfate, Citric Acid, Ethylene Urea, Dimethylol Urea, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Magnesium Carbonate, DMDM Hydantoin, Fragrance.

The new bottle is grey-ish and round.

Ingredients:
Hydorlyzed Collagen, Water; Citric Acid, Dimethylol Urea, Magnesium Sulfate, Ethylene Urea, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein, PG-Propyl Silanetriol, Trimethylsiloxyamodimethicone (whew!), Mauritian Flexousa Fruit Oil, Panthenol, Phytantriol, etc.

I'll be a guinea pig this weekend and try the new stuff. I'm not sure if I'll follow the regular directions or add it to my cholesterol conditioner.

Last edited:

Dare~to~Dream

I see animal protein is no longer an ingredient. I still have an old bottle but this really sucks that the formula changed! :mad:

MuslimahTresses

Did anybody notice a difference in the way it 2 make your hair feel? I'm scared now. I just started using protien weekly and I've been using the Aphogee 2 minute reconstructer. Is this the one you are talking about?

LocksOfLuV

OnceUponAtime said:
It says it's pH optimized and I don't remember that on the previous package. The bottle is different and it seems that the ingredients have change.

Old bottle is white and box shaped.
Ingredients (copied from a sale site so it may not be complete):
Deionized Water, Hydrolyzed Animal Protein, Magnesium Sulfate, Citric Acid, Ethylene Urea, Dimethylol Urea, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Magnesium Carbonate, DMDM Hydantoin, Fragrance.

The new bottle is grey-ish and round.

Ingredients:
Hydorlyzed Collagen, Water; Citric Acid, Dimethylol Urea, Magnesium Sulfate, Ethylene Urea, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein, PG-Propyl Silanetriol, Trimethylsiloxyamodimethicone (whew!), Mauritian Flexousa Fruit Oil, Panthenol, Phytantriol, etc.

I'll be a guinea pig this weekend and try the new stuff. I'm not sure if I'll follow the regular directions or add it to my cholesterol conditioner.

Damn man!:mad:

They took the animal protein out, they probably were trying to go vegan. And I also noticed they made water the second ingredient, not the first. It's probably a little thicker and not so runny. And it has a cone :)mad: :mad: ) and other stuff I guess to make it more "moisturizing."

Damn Aphogee. I didn't want moisture. I just want hard core protein!

Dee-Licious

I'm sooooooo going to search for old bottles of Aphogee in stores and stock up.. HOPEFULLY somewere still has some...

RubyWoo

*Vegetable protein -- Vegetable protein absorbs more easily into the hair shaft (than animal protein) and does not create build-up, leaves the hair very shiny, radiant, luxuriant, and healthy.

*Animal protein -- Animal protein breaks down into fatty acids, which coats the hair and create residual build-up.

I got this from the "a little info about protein" thread(http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=114629). I don't think the change is all that bad. IMO, the new ingredients actually look more favorable. I just bought the new Aphogee treatment today and I'm planning to use it next week. I'll report my results afterwards.

ETA:I just opened my bottle and it still stinks:lol: (actually smells the same) and the consistency appears to be the same as well.

Last edited:

HoneyDew

Collagen protein IS animal protein. That is where they get it from. Keratin, too. Well, most Keratin is from animals except with Joico and I am sure some others. They use Human Keratin in their products. But most is from Animals.

Edited add:

I just used the new one last week and it was great. Honestly, I saw no difference. It still dripped all over the places, smells bad and feel gross and still gave my hair the strength it needed.

jayjaycurlz

OnceUponAtime said:

What does adding Aphogee to your cholesterol conditioner do for your hair?

Dare~to~Dream

Still not sure about it though...the old formula worked very well for me in the past. I'm actually looking into another line to use after my remaining formula runs out (Sebastian Penetraitt...there were a few old posts about this line {circa 2003-2004} and now they have a shampoo and conditioner to complete the set!).

OnceUponAtime

jayjaycurlz said:
What does adding Aphogee to your cholesterol conditioner do for your hair?

A couple of members posted threads about alternative ways to apply Aphogee. Adding it to a cholesterol conditioner and adding some oil, then cover your hair with a plastic cap, sit under a dryer or heat cap for 20 to 30 minutes and rinse. I also add a moisturizing conditioner to my mix. I've been applying this and it has been so beneficial to my hair.

Mixture pros:
  • Not runny (make sure to use a thick cholesterol conditioner like Queen Helene)
  • You don't have to let it harden on your hair
  • I am able (because my hair responds so favorably to protein) to use it more often than every 6 - 8 weeks, lessening my breakage
  • No hard hair and little loss of moisture after rinsing out
  • Easy to reconstitute any lost moisture with a conditioner after rinsing

Cons:
I'm only worried about the pH balance of my hair, because the product I used to do this, Salerm Biomarine, is no longer available at stores around me. I don't have a substitute yet, but maybe the new formulation of Aphogee, will help.

jayjaycurlz

OnceUponAtime said:
A couple of members posted threads about alternative ways to apply Aphogee. Adding it to a cholesterol conditioner and adding some oil, then cover your hair with a plastic cap, sit under a dryer or heat cap for 20 to 30 minutes and rinse. I also add a moisturizing conditioner to my mix. I've been applying this and it has been so beneficial to my hair.

Mixture pros:
  • Not runny (make sure to use a thick cholesterol conditioner like Queen Helene)
  • You don't have to let it harden on your hair
  • I am able (because my hair responds so favorably to protein) to use it more often than every 6 - 8 weeks, lessening my breakage
  • No hard hair and little loss of moisture after rinsing out
  • Easy to reconstitute any lost moisture with a conditioner after rinsing
Cons:
I'm only worried about the pH balance of my hair, because the product I used to do this, Salerm Biomarine, is no longer available at stores around me. I don't have a substitute yet, but maybe the new formulation of Aphogee, will help.

Thanks for your reply! I think I'll try this once I take out my cornrows.

omnipadme

I didn't know there was an older version. The new one in the purple bottle works great and does what it's supposed to do