Aphogee Treatment on Long Hair -- Pin Hair Up Before Sitting Under Dryer?

renee_n_3000

Aphogee on Long Hair -- Pin Hair Up Before Sitting Under Dryer? UPDATED Q

Hi ladies, I wonder if you can help me figure this out. I recently purchased the Aphogee Treatment for Damaged Hair, along with the shampoo and balancing moisturizer, but have not used them yet. I did a search on it here, and came up with a few pages of info, which I read thoroughly. Most ladies have said their hair dries under the dryer with the treatment on it in 15 - 30 minutes. But I did not see any of the ladies with long hair mention whether they pin their hair up before getting under the dryer, though I think this would have to be done in order to get the heat to reach all of the hair. My hair dryer only covers the very top of my head, so the rest of my hair from about my shoulders - waist would just be hanging down far out of the heat's reach if I did not pin it up.

From what I've read here at LHCF as well as on the directions on the package, the treatment makes the hair very hard and the hair should not be moved or disturbed in any way before rinsing the treatment out, or it could snap off. So, if I pin it up loosely, would I be able to remove the pins before rinsing? If so, what type of pins should I use?

Would the 'inside' of my hair dry in 30 minutes if it is pinned up with the treatment on it? Or, would it just stay wet for hours on end, the way it would if I tried to dry my hair that way under a dryer under regular circumstances?

If all of the hair 'inside' did dry, and I rinsed the 'outside/underside' portion first while it is still pinned up, would I then be able to 'unfold' my hair in a downward motion so that the water could then reach the 'inner/top' portions, without my hair snapping and breaking off?

I know that these are a lot of questions and I hope I am explaining my concerns clearly. I am very confused about this and but would like to use the treatment without damaging my hair. I'd appreciate any info you can offer from your own experiences. :)

Last edited:

Divine Inspiration

Re: Aphogee on Long Hair -- Pin Hair Up Before Sitting Under Dryer W/O Causing Damage?

Hey lady!
I'm no Aphogee expert, but I'll do the best I can...
I just started doing these at home, and I totally understand what you're saying about the longer hair not getting heat. I sat under the dryer for about 20 minutes and then I used the hand held dryer to dry the length. I'm not sure what to suggest about pinning it up, but it doesn't sound like a good idea to me. With the hair being ultra hard and fragile, it would probably behoove you to just dry the length manually rather than pinning. The pinning situation might work though, and if you're prepared to take a chance, then I say, go for it. However, if you prefer a method that you know will work, I would just sit under the dryer until you felt the stiffness of the top, then use the handheld to complete the process.
Just my two cents...hope this helps!

ADB

When I apply an aphogee treatment I don't pin my hair up, I just let my hair hang down. The top of my hair dries a lot faster than the bottom when sitting under a dryer. To get the bottom of my hair dry I just bend down enough for the heat from the dryer to hit the bottom of my hair. It may take a while to dry like that but it works.

zora

My hair is by no means what I would consider long, but I use a pin. You just have to be careful when you rinse it out. If you continually rinse your hair thoroughly with the slightest agitation, the clip should slide out of your hair with no problem.

renee_n_3000

Thank you very much for the great advice, ladies! For my first attempt at this, I think I will just do the front/top portion of my hair, as that is the part I am interested in strengthening. If that goes well and I feel I am able to handle doing my whole head, I will do so six weeks from now as recommended on the package.

I will try a combination of the hooded dryer and handheld dryer while leaving my hair hanging downward. I am so happy I still have my handheld dryer now. I haven't used it in years and almost threw it away. I knew it would come in handy for something someday!

I'm so excited but nervous at the same time! I can't wait to try this later this morning (Monday). I just hope I am not crying afterwards 'cause my hair broke off. :ohwell: :grin:

esoterica

My hair is short and i use a hand held dryer. if you pin your hair up, you could always rinse it with the pins in and then take them out once your hair stops being hard.

plainj

zora said:
My hair is by no means what I would consider long, but I use a pin. You just have to be careful when you rinse it out. If you continually rinse your hair thoroughly with the slightest agitation, the clip should slide out of your hair with no problem.

ITA. This is what I do.