Apologizing to Spouses for Premarital Sex

Thiends

CoilyFields said in my thread on masturbation that our bodies belong to our spouses. If this is the case, then shouldn't those who have sex outside of marriage apologize to their spouses when they get married? Sex outside of marriage would be like misusing someone else's property, right?

Who agrees with this?

I am not inclined to, because I believe that my body belongs to God and to me. But I would like to discuss this more. Is it biblical that our bodies belong to our future spouses even before we meet and marry them?

Guitarhero

I would see no need to "apologize" anymore than to "apologize" for any other type of transgression. I definitely think it should be discussed due to the medical aspects but other than that, no. Your body doesn't belong per se to your spouse before marriage, it belongs to God.

loolalooh

In my opinion, we owe an apology to God first and foremost.

Next, I believe we should apologize to our spouse. We owe it to our spouse to reveal this sexual sin (i.e., to inform them that we are not a virgin and have had premarital sex). In the process of revealing, it wouldn't hurt to apologize, right? Not because our body is our spouse's property ... but because sex was to be saved until marriage and shared between the two of us. Our body belongs to God, but we can still apologize to our spouse for not waiting for them.

Curious to hear others' responses.

Inches411

Nope. I feel there is no need to apologize to him. Just to myself and God. Thats it.

I wouldnt even want him to apologize to me just to god and himself.. to me i guess its a nice gesture but very uneccessary.

Prudent1

CoilyFields said in my thread on masturbation that our bodies belong to our spouses. If this is the case, then shouldn't those who have sex outside of marriage apologize to their spouses when they get married? Sex outside of marriage would be like misusing someone else's property, right?

Who agrees with this?

I am not inclined to, because I believe that my body belongs to God and to me. But I would like to discuss this more. Is it biblical that our bodies belong to our future spouses even before we meet and marry them?
I know a lot of couples who have done this and I can understand their line of reasoning:scratchch: (Sex outside of marriage would be like misusing someone else's property, right?).:yep: It certainly won't hurt/ de-value anything. The ppl I know did it as part of solidifying even more so their vows/ committment to one another. Your body does belong to God and you second unless you are married.:look: Then your spouse's body belongs to God, then you and vice versa. But you are not married right now are you?

I would see no need to "apologize" anymore than to "apologize" for any other type of transgression. I definitely think it should be discussed due to the medical aspects but other than that, no. Your body doesn't belong per se to your spouse before marriage, it belongs to God.[/QUOTE]
:yep:
Once again, I think that is a question to be point blank prayerfully asked of God. I guess another tangent of your excellent questions is how many couples have asked God if they needed to or should apologize to spouses?:drunk:

1 Cor 6:19-20
19Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body.

1 Cor 7:4
4The wife's body does not belong to her alone but also to her husband. In the same way, the husband's body does not belong to him alone but also to his wife.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
No, I do not believe your body belongs to a spouse before getting married.

Our bodies belong to God.

The ONLY reason you would need to apologize to your actual spouse is if you cheated, committed adultery, or fornicated with someone else within the marriage committment.

Now let's say you are not married yet and you both are refraining from sex until marriage, and you go out and cheat on your boyfriend, THEN you would need to apologize for premarital sex or fornication.