applying relaxer, smoothing and preventing burning

amy1234

hello, I have a question to ask... I've noticed that when I do my own touch ups at home with affirm lye I usually smooth the relaxer with my fingers after the application and I burn quicker after smoothing each section (3 times):burn: . Now do you think that smoothing too much can cause me to burn quicker? The thing is , if I don't smooth, then I risk underprocessing :naughty: my hair and I haven't tried this yet. Should I just apply the relaxer and let it do its work/straighten without smoothing, or risk burning every time I smooth?? tia :dizzy:

Sassygoddess

maybe you should try a higher strenght and maybe you don't have to smooth so much. also make sure your scalp is well base. i use regular relaxer and smooth one time and my hair comes out straight. i'm 4a-b.

karezone

Yeah, the last relaxer I got that is what she did. She smoothed each section once with her fingers after the application.

Isis

I make sure my scalp is well-based first and smooth once to prevent burning. I also make sure I always use a timer.

amy1234

thanks for the responses, I'll try to smooth only once for my next touch up, but it's tempting to continue smoothing though :ohwell:

Jewell

balisi said:
For better results, with little or no burning, smooth once and let relaxer do its thing.

ITA! I smooth once and let the relaxer work. I use a mild version and my hair comes out bone straight. I think the smoothing 3 times is causing the burning because the scalp is being manipulated too much. Just a thought. :look: