Are all sins created equal?

momi

All sins are not created equal - the Bible is clear on that. There will be some sins that require a greater penalty... I consider those of us who live in America. We have unlimited access to the Bible, commentaries, and the right to worship freely. I believe those who reject Christ amidst the freedoms we enjoy will endure greater wrath according to Matthew 11.

John 19:11 - Jesus answered, “You would have no authority over Me, unless it had been given you from above; for this reason he who delivered Me to you has the greater sin.

1 John 5 16-17 If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it.

Matthew 11:20-22 Then He began to rebuke the cities in which most of His mighty works had been done, because they did not repent: “Woe to you, Chorazin! Woe to you, Bethsaida! For if the mighty works which were done in you had been done in Tyre and Sidon, they would have repented long ago in sackcloth and ashes. But I say to you, it will be more tolerable for Tyre and Sidon in the day of judgment than for you.

... just thought I'd share.

Iwanthealthyhair67

^^ reminds me of Luke 12
47"And that slave who knew his master's will and did not get ready or act in accord with his will, will receive many lashes, 48but the one who did not know it, and committed deeds worthy of a flogging, will receive but few. From everyone who has been given much, much will be required; and to whom they entrusted much, of him they will ask all the more.

momi

^^ reminds me of Luke 12
47"And that slave who knew his master's will and did not get ready or act in accord with his will, will receive many lashes, 48but the one who did not know it, and committed deeds worthy of a flogging, will receive but few. From everyone who has been given much, much will be required; and to whom they entrusted much, of him they will ask all the more.

I'd forgotten about this one - very sobering. Thanks!

naturalgyrl5199

Good topic. I always felt that the Wages of Sin is Death and that...unlike Dante's Inferno...there is one hell for all sinners.

That being said, some people feel like lies are not as bad as murder. Gossiping, cheating, adultry are all "lesser sins."

But I always felt like ANY SIN keeps you away from God, so why risk a "little sin" because its not murder? Maybe the penalty is the same, but what will get you there is different. Just thinking out loud.

momi

Good topic. I always felt that the Wages of Sin is Death and that...unlike Dante's Inferno...there is one hell for all sinners.

That being said, some people feel like lies are not as bad as murder. Gossiping, cheating, adultry are all "lesser sins."

But I always felt like ANY SIN keeps you away from God, so why risk a "little sin" because its not murder? Maybe the penalty is the same, but what will get you there is different. Just thinking out loud.

Absolutely - all sin separates us from God, however if I am interpreting the above scriptures correctly, there are different degrees of sins and transgressions.

I think at times Christians are reluctant to share scriptures like this because we may think it gives a license to sin. It shouldn't, and since God saw fit to inspire the writers to include texts like this, I think its important to bring them to light.

Thanks for your response. :yep:

Last edited:

blazingthru

Well the bible does say some sins lead to death, but not all sins lead to death. Sin that is committed continually eventually there is no forgiveness.

There are degrees of punishment but it all leads to death. Its best to get our acts together now. this scripture below is in indication that no one suffers forever, everyone is punished according to what YOU have done on this earth and not a standard punishment for everyone like folks want to believe. But a life living for Sin leads to death period there isn't a way around it.

Luke 12:47-48
King James Version (KJV)
47 And that servant, which knew his lord's will, and prepared not himself, neither did according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes.

48 But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more.

but it means death to both, one will die quicker then the other. We are saved by Jesus righteousness, When God looks as us he sees Jesus Righteousness and not our own. I work very hard not to sin against God and I pray every single day sometimes many times in one day not to sin against God and for the sins of those I know.

momi

@blazingthrough - Scripture is clear that hell is both hot and eternal. We've disagreed about this in the past so there's no point in rehashing.

Yep agreed - it's definitely time for all to decide. Now is the appointed time.

blazingthru

@blazingthrough - Scripture is clear that hell is both hot and eternal. We've disagreed about this in the past so there's no point in rehashing.

Yep agreed - it's definitely time for all to decide. Now is the appointed time.

I wasn't using this to bring up Hell Momi, I was saying that there are degrees of punishment.

1/18/2014 I had to add this because this has been bothering me for a long time now. My silence was very sinful. You are right we do not agree, the bible states that hell is a place reserved until the end of the world. Hell is the grave, as this earth will become at the very end when that trumpet sounds. Every christian should research and find if these things are true, if they chose not to then they face God and God alone no one else. I firmly cannot have anyone say to me that the bible confirms it when it does not and I be silent.

All sins are not created equal nor is the punishment some will be beaten with fewer stripes. Which means some will burn up quickly and some will take days to burn as will satan, he will burn till every portion of his body is ash as will all sinners and sin will never rise again. So if any christian wants to continue to believe that folks are in agony in hell well what more can be said, I will continue to proclaim, there is always someone the holy spirit pokes who will listen and go and research and discover that truth of the matter.

1 Thessalonians 4:13-18
King James Version (KJV)
13 But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope.

14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him.

15 For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep.

16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:

17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

18 Wherefore comfort one another with these words.

www.helltruth.com
http://www.helltruth.com/q-a/undying-immortal-soul.aspx
http://www.helltruth.com/q-a/forever-and-ever.aspx
http://www.helltruth.com/q-a/their-worm-dieth-not.aspx
http://www.helltruth.com/q-a/angels-cast-down-to-hell.aspx
http://www.helltruth.com/history/ancient-beliefs.aspx
http://www.helltruth.com/history/sinners-in-the-hands-of-an-angry-god.aspx

Last edited:

CoilyFields

Matthew 11:20-22
Explains it all. There are different degrees of punishment based on the sins.

Also there are sins that God called abominations in the OT.

lastly, all sin separates us from God so all should be shunned. But the consequences of certain sins are greater than others, in this life and the next. Much like our penal system, you get a different sentence/consequence for unintentional manslaughter than for 1st degree murder. They take the motive of the heart into consideration as does God. That's why we don't condemn folks

Maracujá

November 2020 --> 14 years natural!!!

Absolutely - all sin separates us from God, however if I am interpreting the above scriptures correctly, there are different degrees of sins and transgressions.

I think at times Christians are reluctant to share scriptures like this because we may think it gives a license to sin. It shouldn't, and since God saw fit to inspire the writers to include texts like this, I think its important to bring them to light.

Thanks for your response. :yep:

Thank you momi for this thread as it is something I've always wondered and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Like naturalgyrl5199 mentioned though, don't let sins keep you away from God. In that light, the reaction you have to the Scripture momi posted should be very telling, I had this sigh of relief like 'phew' when in reality it should propel me to pray even more to not fall into the temptation of committing these 'lesser' sins perpetually because they are 'lesser'. Thank you ladies!