Is the Devil in Charge of Hell?

blazingthru

Wow! This verse really changes things about whether or not the hell fire ends or keeps going. :spinning: Verses 43, 44, 45, and 46 mentions that same phrase of the "fire is not quenched."

In my life applications bible, it mentions that Jesus pictured the serious and eternal consequences of sins, and to the Jews, worms and fire represented internal and external pain.

This simple means that no one can put the fire out. it will burn until it is Ash. that is all it means. Remember this earth will be made over brand new. Sin shall never arise again on it. we shall tread upon the ash. let me find the scripture, Malachi 4:3, You'll tread down the wicked. They shall be ashes under the soles of your feet. not only that the lord says he will bring the fire right down in front of us. Those who are saved will be able to view the destruction of the wicked and the devil himself, the fire will come out of the devil.

Ezekiel 28 therefore will I bring forth a fire from the midst of thee, it shall devour thee, and I will bring thee to ashes upon the earth in the sight of all them that behold thee.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
This simple means that no one can put the fire out. it will burn until it is Ash. that is all it means. Remember this earth will be made over brand new. Sin shall never arise again on it. we shall tread upon the ash. let me find the scripture, Malachi 4:3, You'll tread down the wicked. They shall be ashes under the soles of your feet. not only that the lord says he will bring the fire right down in front of us. Those who are saved will be able to view the destruction of the wicked and the devil himself, the fire will come out of the devil.

Ezekiel 28 therefore will I bring forth a fire from the midst of thee, it shall devour thee, and I will bring thee to ashes upon the earth in the sight of all them that behold thee.

blazingthru - that makes perfect sense!

sweetvi

^^^^^. It's coming together!! Adam and Eve lost that gift of immorality when they sinned and was casted out! The angel stood guard so they do not reenter

Genesis 3:24 After he drove the man out, he placed on the east side of the Garden of Eden cherubim and a flaming sword flashing back and forth to guard the way to the tree of life.

So why should the punished get the gift of life? Hmmmm. Now I wonder if the earth will be destroyed with Satan, his angels and the sinners? Then the new earth will be created?

blazingthru

^^^^^. It's coming together!! Adam and Eve lost that gift of immorality when they sinned and was casted out! The angel stood guard so they do not reenter

Genesis 3:24 After he drove the man out, he placed on the east side of the Garden of Eden cherubim and a flaming sword flashing back and forth to guard the way to the tree of life.

So why should the punished get the gift of life? Hmmmm. Now I wonder if the earth will be destroyed with Satan, his angels and the sinners? Then the new earth will be created?

yes exactly, the earth will burn up and all of its terrible memories, Gone turned to ash, that is why we should not focus on the tangable things that are going to burn up anyway. I say that all the time, its all going to burn anyway. I rather put things in my mansion in heaven. So the next question is how do we do that, but that's for another study.

sweetvi

Okay.....Yayyyyy. I'm feeling so much better. You have no idea how anxious I was! My friend came to a conclusion that Mary Kay Baxter's book sounddddds very similar to Dante's Inferno ! However I will not judge because who knows what God revealed to her...and she only has to answer to God

blazingthru

I would not recommend reading her books or any books relating to someone's experiences to heaven and or to hell. The Bible is our example, all who have died and risen through Jesus had nothing to say. Not one word. There was nothing to say, they probably didn't even know they died. Which all of us at some point in time, can't remember when we fell asleep. One minute you were so into the program the next the alarm went off. In every instance we read the word none of the people that were risen from the dead by Jesus or the disciples had a story to tell not even one. because it is just sleep.

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
blazingthru and Poohbear, God brought you right in. Thank you so much. Please accept my apology for 'forgetting' your names. I was so sleepy when I posted last night. The two of you are awesome. Again,I apologize for missing your names.

No Roses, but a true hug. :bighug:

Galadriel

Thanks for the tag, Poohbear

Let's look at Matthew 18:8:

"And if your hand or your foot causes you to stumble, cut it off and throw it from you; it is better for you to enter life crippled or lame, than having two hands or two feet, to be cast into the eternal fire,"

The Greek word used here for "eternal" is aionion. If we are to interpret this "eternal" as a non-everlasting one, a temporary condition with an ending, etc. we're going to run into some problems, because this same Greek word is also used to speak of everlasting life with God.

Aionion also appears in the following verses:

Matthew 19:16-17
And someone came to Him and said, "Teacher, what good thing shall I do that I may obtain eternal life?" And He said to him, "Why are you asking Me about what is good? There is [only] One who is good; but if you wish to enter into life, keep the commandments."

John 3:14-15
"As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up; so that whoever believes will in Him have eternal life.

2 Peter 1:10-11
Therefore, brethren, be all the more diligent to make certain about His calling and choosing you; for as long as you practice these things, you will never stumble; for in this way the entrance into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ will be abundantly supplied to you.

Are we then to understand that God's kindgom is not everlasting (aionion)? That it somehow ends in duration as is being suggested? Will our existence in Heaven end or be temporary since eternal life is spoken of, using the Greek aionion?

If God's kingdom is eternal, and the existence of the Blessed in Heaven is eternal (aionion), then the damnation of the damned is eternal (aionion).

One of the most telling passages is Matthew 25:41-46

"Then He will also say to those on His left, Depart from Me, accursed ones, into the eternal fire which has been prepared for the devil and his angels; for I was hungry, and you gave Me [nothing] to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me nothing to drink; I was a stranger, and you did not invite Me in; naked, and you did not clothe Me; sick, and in prison, and you did not visit Me.' "Then they themselves also will answer, 'Lord, when did we see You hungry, or thirsty, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not take care of You?' "Then He will answer them, 'Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.' "These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life."

Also, just taking a step back and historically observing Christianity, you'll see that the earliest Christians, the ones who knew, talked with, and were taught by the Apostles themselves, reaffirmed an eternal Hell. The only people who taught otherwise were a sect of Gnostics (and if you're familiar with Gnosticism, their doctrines were C-R-A-Z-Y!) and later certain Protestant sects pick these up. Most major Protestant churches (Lutheran, Anglican, Methodist, etc.) teach that Hell is eternal.

@sweetvi @Galadriel and others,

Here is a passage from another site about hellfire not being infinite and it explains Mark 9 as well:

It’s interesting to note that Jesus used this particular locale, and what usually occurred there, to help us understand the fate the wicked and unrepentant sinner will suffer in the future (Mark 9:47-48). This fiery punishment meant they will be consumed by the fire and not the eternal torment wrongly portrayed by Christianity throughout the ages. The text also referred to the worm that dieth not. However, the worm is not symbolic of sinners, but maggots among the garbage. No one is in Hell right now. Scriptures show that this Hellfire is to come (Daniel 12:1-12; John 5:25-29; 2 Peter 2:9; Revelation 20:13-15).

Various denominations have long held the view that Hell is an everlasting punishment based on Revelation 14:11, “…the smoke of their torment ascendeth up forever and ever;” Matthew 25:46, “…and these will go away into eternal punishment but the righteous into eternal life;” Revelation 20:10, “…the devil, who deceived them, was cast into the lake of fire…and they will be tormented day and night forever;” Isaiah 34:5-10, “…the streams thereof shall become burning pitch…the smoke thereof shall go up forever and ever;” and Jude 13, “…to whom is reserved the blackness of darkness forever.”

In all the passages above, the Greek word, aion translated ‘forever,’ does not mean eternity or infinity. Forever and ever simply means the object will continue to last as long as conditions permit-a limited time. The fire will burn until everything is consumed or destroyed.

Matthew 3:12; Mark 9:43; Luke 3:17; and Isaiah 34:10 speak of a fire that shall never be quenched. When we look at the Greek for unquenchable, we realize Jesus was simply saying that the fire will burn until the bodies of the wicked are consumed. An unquenched fire is one that has not been extinguished. It burns itself out when it consumes everything and has no more combustible material to keep it going. Ezekiel 20:47 speaks of fire that consumes entirely. In Jeremiah 17:27, Yahweh said he would kindle an unquenchable fire in Jerusalem. This was fulfilled in 2 Chronicles 36:19-21. Is Jerusalem still burning?

The following scriptures speak of eternal judgment: Jude 7, “…even as Sodom and Gomorrah and the cities about them…suffering the vengeance of eternal fire;” Mattthew 25:46, “…these shall go into everlasting punishment;” Matthew 25:41, “…depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire;” Hebrews 6:2, “…resurrection of the dead and of eternal judgment.”

In the above texts, the Greek for eternal is aionou, which means final and complete. Sodom and Gomorrah are not burning- they burnt to ash long ago (Matthew 11:23; 2 Peter 2:6). Eternal destruction means the consequence is eternal. Once you are burned up, you will not return (Psalms 104:35).

Source: http://www.prevailmagazine.org/is-there-an-eternal-hellfire/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Let me know what you ladies think of this.

Galadriel

@blazingthru and @Poohbear, God brought you right in. Thank you so much. Please accept my apology for 'forgetting' your names. I was so sleepy when I posted last night. The two of you are awesome. Again,I apologize for missing your names.

No Roses, but a true hug. :bighug:
I still think you're one of THE nicest ladies here, hands down :yep:.

Galadriel

Okay.....Yayyyyy. I'm feeling so much better. You have no idea how anxious I was! My friend came to a conclusion that Mary Kay Baxter's book sounddddds very similar to Dante's Inferno ! However I will not judge because who knows what God revealed to her...and she only has to answer to God

Awww, I LOVE Dante! I know the Divine Comedy like the back of my hand. However, Dante's "Inferno" is a beautiful allegory, a poem. He did not really have that experience, nor did he intend to give that impression.

Galadriel

Just also wanted to add this explanation about "eternal" and "forever" from a Protestant Christian apologetics website (because most Protestants also teach that Hell is eternal):

Is "forever and ever" without end?

The phrase "forever and ever" is used both of describing God's eternal worth and the duration of eternal damnation. The exact same Greek phrase is used in each of the verses in the table below.

forever and ever

aionas ton aionon
"ages of the ages"

Eternal - without end Eternal Damnation

"Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen," (1 Tim. 1:17).

". . . To Him who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb, be blessing and honor and glory and dominion forever and ever" (Rev. 5:13).

"And a second time they said, "Hallelujah! Her smoke rises up forever and ever" (Rev. 19:3).

"And the devil who deceived them was thrown into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are also; and they will be tormented day and night forever and ever," (Rev. 20:10).

The Greek phrase aionas ton aionon, which is translated "forever and ever," occurs 18 times in the Greek New Testament. In 17 of them, the phrase means without end, extending into infinity. In Rev. 19:3, the phrase is used to describe the destruction of the great whore of Babylon (Rev. 17:1,4) whose smoke ascends forever and ever. It too is eternal and it signifies the beginning of the eternal judgment that comes upon her.

Also worth examining is Rev. 14:11: "And the smoke of their torment goes up forever and ever; and they have no rest day and night, those who worship the beast and his image, and whoever receives the mark of his name."

The Greek in Rev. 14:11 is only slightly different. In the table above, "forever and ever" is translated from the Greek, aionas ton aionon, which is literally "ages of the of ages." In Rev. 14:11, the Greek is aionas aionon which is literally, "ages of ages." In the latter, the single Greek word "of the" is missing. But it is not necessary and does not change the meaning of the text. Therefore, the scripture teaches the smoke of their torment goes up forever, without end.

Unquenchable Fire

Some believe that the fires of hell are symbolic and/or temporal. But the following verses show that they are not.

Matt. 3:12 says, "And His winnowing fork is in His hand, and He will thoroughly clear His threshing floor; and He will gather His wheat into the barn, but He will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire." (See also Luke 3:17.)

Mark 9:43 says, "And if your hand causes you to stumble, cut it off; it is better for you to enter life crippled, than having your two hands, to go into hell, into the unquenchable fire." The word "unquenchable" is asbestos in the Greek. According to the enhanced Strong's lexicon, it means "unquenchable, the eternal hell fire to punish the damned."

The following citations are from Greek dictionaries and Lexicons. They show that the word "unquenchable," which is asbestos in the Greek, (which occurs only in Matt. 3:12, Luke 3:17, and Mark 9:43) means unquenchable, without end.

"unquenchable, inextinguishable"2
"not quenched"3
"pertaining to a fire that cannot be put out" - "unquenchable."4
"unquenched, unquenchable"5
"that cannot be put out"6
"inextinguishable"7

Is hell eternal? Yes it is. Are its fires without end? Yes they are. Is it a pleasant doctrine to discuss? Not really. But, hell is real. This is all the more reason to preach the gospel. Jesus said,

"And if your hand or your foot causes you to stumble, cut it off and throw it from you; it is better for you to enter life crippled or lame, than having two hands or two feet, to be cast into the eternal fire," (Matt. 18:8).

sweetvi

Galadriel. Poohbear blazingthru

Sorry to put you guys on the spot

Okay a friend if more mine is also studying this as well and she asked a good question? She asked are we wrong to think heaven is infinite? The bible refers to heaven as well as hell as Eternal, and if we all conclude Hell will not be eternal then what about heaven?

Galadriel

@Galadriel. @Poohbear @blazingthru

Sorry to put you guys on the spot

Okay a friend if more mine is also studying this as well and she asked a good question? She asked are we wrong to think heaven is infinite? The bible refers to heaven as well as hell as Eternal, and if we all conclude Hell will not be eternal then what about heaven?

sweetvi you may have missed my recent post (post #38 or #39) but I addressed the issue. I think that's a very logical question to ask, because the Greek aionion for "eternal" or "everlasting" is used in Scriptures for BOTH Heaven and Hell, so why is it that Hell is interpreted as not-forever, but Heaven is forever?

sweetvi

The wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord" (Romans 6:23).

"For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son so that anyone who believes in Him will not perish but have eternal life" (John 3:16)

The Lord Jesus Christ proclaimed, "I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, no one can snatch them out of my Father's hand" (John 10:28-29b).

And I'm pretty sure there are many more....

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
Hiya sweetvi, Jesus' death, descension to hell, resurrection and ascension to the Father, serves as the guide. I believe both to be eternal states for man after death because that's what the Bible says.

"And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.
Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels ..."
-Matt 25: 40-41

On the cross, Jesus promised eternal life to the man being hung with Him who believed: "And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, Today shalt thou be with me in paradise" - Luke 23:43

Jesus was hung between two men, one on His left, another on His right. One believed Him, the other rebuked Him. His arms outstretched in the direction of each man. If that other man had believed, Jesus would've forgiven him and he'd get the same promise. So this is a great lesson on choosing to believe.

[Side note: There is doctrinal argument about what Jesus means by "today" concerning paradise. I don't see the point, because God cannot be contained. He is the Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end... ]

On Paradise:
"He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God." - Rev 2:7

-----
Glad to see you excited ... I encourage you to ask God to guide you to revelation knowledge on heaven and hell, as you continue to study His Word.

Last edited:

Galadriel

This is a very good discussion--and it just emphasizes to me how much I DON'T want people to go Hell, and how important it is to introduce the Gospel to people and contend for the faith.

"O my Jesus, forgive us our sins. Save us from the fires of Hell. Lead all souls to Heaven, especially those who are in most need of Your mercy."

Indeed!

momi

Whew - I have enjoyed reading everyones responses! Just my two cents - I believe hell is clearly eternal (like everlasting) just as heaven will be (Glory to God)!

Since eternal is used for both hell and heaven to take the position that it is only temporary would mean that we would only enjoy heaven until for a season as well. One would have to do some major reconstruction in order to hold to that theory. I believe that whenever possible we should read the Bible literally.

If The Lord wanted us to understand eternal as anything other than (forever and ever) I believe He would have had Inspired the writers to use a word more fitting ... like season or span of time.

momi

This is a very good discussion--and it just emphasizes to me how much I DON'T want people to go Hell, and how important it is to introduce the Gospel to people and contend for the faith.

"O my Jesus, forgive us our sins. Save us from the fires of Hell. Lead all souls to Heaven, especially those who are in most need of Your mercy."

Indeed!

Amen Galadriel - this is the bottom line right here! He desires that no one should perish!

Seek the Lord while He may be found - call on Him while He is near!

AtlantaJJ

My brother in Christ lead me to this site for study purposes on this topic:
http://www.preparingforeternity.com/hellfire.htm

• Will there come a day of destruction for the wicked?
"That the wicked is reserved to the day of destruction? they shall be brought forth to the day of wrath." Job 21:30.
• How will they be destroyed?
"Thou shalt make them as a fiery oven in the time of thine anger: the LORD shall swallow them up in his wrath, and the fire shall devour them." Psalms 21:9.

• What will happen to evildoers?
"For evildoers shall be cut off: but those that wait upon the LORD, they shall inherit the earth." Psalms 37:9.

• What will happen to the wicked?
"For yet a little while, and the wicked shall not be: yea, thou shalt diligently consider his place, and it shall not be." Psalms 37:10.

• Will the wicked go on living throughout eternity?
"But the wicked shall perish, and the enemies of the LORD shall be as the fat of lambs: they shall consume; into smoke shall they consume away." Psalms 37:20.

• So the wicked will be destroyed and not burn forever?
"But the transgressors shall be destroyed together: the end of the wicked shall be cut off." Psalms 37:38.

• But doesn't "cut off" only mean they will be separated from God?
"As smoke is driven away, so drive them away: as wax melteth before the fire, so let the wicked perish at the presence of God." Psalms 68:2.

• So then this must mean that the wicked will be no more or consumed?
"Let the sinners be consumed out of the earth, and let the wicked be no more. Bless thou the LORD, O my soul. Praise ye the LORD." Psalms 104:35.

• So there will be a final destruction of the wicked, they will not burn in hell for eternity?
"The LORD preserveth all them that love him: but all the wicked will he destroy." Psalms 145:20.

• What method will God use to destroy the wicked?
"Behold, they shall be as stubble; the fire shall burn them; they shall not deliver themselves from the power of the flame: there shall not be a coal to warm at, nor fire to sit before it." Isaiah 47:14.

• But I thought the soul never dies?
"Behold, all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine: the soul that sinneth, it shall die." Ezekiel 18:4.

• Will the wicked be burned up completely?
"Thou hast defiled thy sanctuaries by the multitude of thine iniquities, by the iniquity of thy traffic; therefore will I bring forth a fire from the midst of thee, it shall devour thee, and I will bring thee to ashes upon the earth in the sight of all them that behold thee." Ezekiel 28:18.

• So they will cease to exist?
"All they that know thee among the people shall be astonished at thee: thou shalt be a terror, and never shalt thou be any more." Ezekiel 28:19.

• How does God feel about the final destruction of the wicked?
"Say unto them, As I live, saith the Lord GOD, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked; but that the wicked turn from his way and live: turn ye, turn ye from your evil ways; for why will ye die, O house of Israel?" Ezekiel 33:11.

• So after the destruction of the wicked, sin will never rise up again?
"What do ye imagine against the LORD? he will make an utter end: affliction shall not rise up the second time. For while they be folden together as thorns, and while they are drunken as drunkards, they shall be devoured as stubble fully dry." Nahum 1:9-10.

• How complete will the final destruction of the wicked be?
"For, behold, the day cometh, that shall burn as an oven; and all the proud, yea, and all that do wickedly, shall be stubble: and the day that cometh shall burn them up, saith the LORD of hosts, that it shall leave them neither root nor branch." Malachi 4:1.

• Does the New Testament talk about the destruction of the wicked?
"Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:" Matthew 7:13

• Does the New Testament speak about the soul dieing?
"And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell." Matthew 10:28.

• When will all of this take place?
"As therefore the tares are gathered and burned in the fire; so shall it be in the end of this world." Matthew 13:40.

• Matthew 25:41 speaks of "everlasting fire" for the wicked. Does it go out?
"Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:" Matthew 25:41.?
NOTE: Yes, according to the Bible, it does. We must let the Bible explain itself. Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed with everlasting, or eternal, fire and that fire turned them "into ashes" as a warning to "those that after should live ungodly."
"Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire." Jude 1:7.
"And turning the cities of Sodom and Gomorrha into ashes condemned them with an overthrow, making them an ensample unto those that after should live ungodly;" 2 Peter 2:6.
These cities are not burning today. The fire went out after everything was burned up. Likewise, everlasting fire will go out after it has turned the wicked to ashes.
"And ye shall tread down the wicked; for they shall be ashes under the soles of your feet in the day that I shall do this, saith the LORD of hosts." Malachi 4:3.
The effects of the fire are everlasting, but not the burning itself.

• Doesn't Matthew 25:46 say the wicked will receive "everlasting punishment"?
"And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal." Matthew 25:46.
NOTE: Notice the word is punishment, not punishing. Punishing would be continuous, while punishment is one act. The punishment of the wicked is death, and this death is everlasting. Nowhere in Scripture will you find that the wicked will receive eternal life, only the righteous.

• What will happen to the saved?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." John 3:16.

• What are the wages of sin according to the book of Romans?
"For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord." Romans 6:23.

• What will happen to the devil, will he be destroyed also?
"Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil;" Hebrews 2:14.

• Why is it impossible for sinners to be in the presence of God?
"For our God is a consuming fire." Hebrews 12:29.

• What example does the Bible use to show that God will destroy the wicked by fire?
"And turning the cities of Sodom and Gomorrha into ashes condemned them with an overthrow, making them an ensample unto those that after should live ungodly;" 2 Peter 2:6.

• Where will this fire occur which destroys the wicked?
"But the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men." 2 Peter 3:7.

• Doesn't God want us to repent?
"The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance." 2 Peter 3:9.

• What will happen to the whole earth?
"But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up." 2 Peter 3:10.

Sent from my iPad 3 using LHCF

AtlantaJJ

Part 2

• If we miss out on the first resurrection, will we have a "second chance"?
"Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years." Revelation 20:6.

• Where will the fire come from?
"And they went up on the breadth of the earth, and compassed the camp of the saints about, and the beloved city: and fire came down from God out of heaven, and devoured them." Revelation 20:9.

• What is the second death?
"And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death." Revelation 20:14.

• Are there any more verses that talk about the second death?
"But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death." Revelation 21:8.

• What about the verse in Revelation 20:10 where it talks about the devil, the beast and false prophet being tormented for ever and ever. Doesn't that show that hell fire is forever or eternal?
"And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever." Revelation 20:10.
NOTE: The term "for ever," as used in the Bible, means simply a period of time, limited or unlimited. It is used 56 times in the Bible in connection with things that have already ended.* It is like the word "tall," which means something different in describing men, trees, or mountains. In Jonah 2:6, "for ever" means "three days and nights."
"I went down to the bottoms of the mountains; the earth with her bars was about me for ever: yet hast thou brought up my life from corruption, O LORD my God." Jonah 2:6. (See also Jonah 1:17.)
In Deuteronomy 23:3, this means "10 generations." In the case of man, this means "as long as he lives" or "until death." (See 1 Samuel 1:22,28; Exodus 21:6; Psalm 48:14.) So the wicked will burn in the fire as long as they live, or until death. This fiery punishment for sin will vary according to the degree of sins for each individual, but after the punishment, the fire will go out. The teaching of eternal torment has done more to drive people to atheism and insanity than any other invention of the devil. It is slander upon the loving character of a tender, gracious heavenly Father and has done untold harm to the Christian cause.
*To check in a concordance, look up the word "ever".

All text from the King James Bible,
all emphasis supplied

Sent from my iPad 3 using LHCF

blazingthru

sweetvi you may have missed my recent post (post #38 or #39) but I addressed the issue. I think that's a very logical question to ask, because the Greek aionion for "eternal" or "everlasting" is used in Scriptures for BOTH Heaven and Hell, so why is it that Hell is interpreted as not-forever, but Heaven is forever?

Well the bible says there will be a new earth and a new heaven.

Isaiah 65:17

King James Version (KJV)
17 For, behold, I create new heavens and a new earth: and the former shall not be remembered, nor come into mind.

Revelation 21

King James Version (KJV)
21 And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.

sweetvi

AtlantaJJ. Love it!!! Thankssssss

I hope this cleared many things for people , and/or caused to seek answer for themselves using discernment and the Holy Spirit.!!

Don't want to offend anyone with this post but God tells us to seek the truth for ourselves and test everything! Yasssss!

Reminds me of that song by Hillsong..Lead Me to the Cross

Galadriel

All I can say is AMEN and AMEN. Let the bible explain itself.

I would say use proper Biblical hermeneutics (the study and interpretation of Scripture is called hermeneutics). This is something even Protestants teach.

Oddly, I earned a minor in Biblical Studies from a Protestant Evangelical university :lol:.

"Let the Bible explain" itself unfortunately is a roundabout way of saying "read and interpret based on your own judgment." I have encountered homosexuals who will quote Scripture to try and prove their lifestyles were not sinful (they would quote St. Paul and argue that he condemned temple prostitution and not gay sex, for example).

So I would caution everyone to be careful with your hermeneutics :yep:.

Blazingthru rejects that the soul exists after death (immortality), and wrongly confuses God's eternal nature with immortality (the angels are immortal, but are not divine, so immortality isn't solely an attribute of God).

I believe she also wrongly goes against, due to her particular denomination, against every Christian teaching for 2,000 years, even among Protestants, asserts that Hell is not eternal and that souls will only suffer temporarily before going out of existence.

Nice & Wavy

I would say use proper Biblical hermeneutics (the study and interpretation of Scripture is called hermeneutics). This is something even Protestants teach.

Oddly, I earned a minor in Biblical Studies from a Protestant Evangelical university :lol:.

"Let the Bible explain" itself unfortunately is a roundabout way of saying "read and interpret based on your own judgment." I have encountered homosexuals who will quote Scripture to try and prove their lifestyles were not sinful (they would quote St. Paul and argue that he condemned temple prostitution and not gay sex, for example).

Blazingthru rejects that the soul exists after death (immortality), and wrongly confuses God's eternal nature with immortality (the angels are immortal, but are not divine, so immortality isn't solely an attribute of God).

I believe she also wrongly goes against, due to her particular denomination, against every Christian teaching for 2,000 years, even among Protestants, asserts that Hell is not eternal and that souls will only suffer temporarily before going out of existence.
I agree 100% with the bolded quote. I also agree with the highlight in blue. This happens a lot with many different denominations:yep:

Galadriel

I agree 100% with the bolded quote. I also agree with the highlight in blue. This happens a lot with many different denominations:yep:

And my disagreement lies with the particular doctrines that reject the immortality of the soul and a non-eternal Hell, and not with blazingthru personally.

Jehovah's Witnesses for example, on the claim they are using Scripture to interpret Scripture, reject the Trinity and the divinity of Jesus.

About 3-4 months ago someone argued here in CF that Jesus and the archangel Michael were the same person--and they pulled out their Scripture verses to support their claim.

So I would definitely say that just because someone says, "I believe X because look at Scriptures 1, 2, and 3" doesn't automatically mean that person's interpretation is correct or that X is correct.

It should raise a red flag for us that the Christians who lived with and knew the Apostles themselves, taught an eternal Hell, but someone comes along 1,800+ years later saying Scripture REALLY teaches that Hell is not eternal.

It also raises a red flag for me that the Gnostics taught that Hell is not eternal, because the Gnostics also denied Jesus' divinity, taught Dualism, that the God of the Old Testament was evil, and that you should kill yourself to release your pure soul from your evil body.

Iwanthealthyhair67

another perfect example of why Holy Spirit is so important, He brings the revelation.

MrsHaseeb

Our soul will be spending eternity somewhere, that's certain.

Last edited: