Are all your friends christian?

Deluxe

I was just wondering if the christians on the board surround themselves with other christians, as friends and associates or if some of your friends are unbelievers?

I guess this question surfaced after I went to my sister-in-laws bridal-bachelorette party and saw that she had all christian friends. They all were really special and in love with God. It made me see what I was missing and it made me wonder if christian friendships are what help some people maintain (to a certain extent) their faith. I guess I am also asking how important is christian fellowship?

MomofThreeBoys

I think its very important to surround yourself with Christian BUT I make it a point to have friends of other faiths as well, i.e. muslim, agnostic, etc.

If your walk in Christ is in its infant stages, it is wise to surround yourself with strong believers. As you grow stronger in your walk and feel more secure, you are able to be in non-Christian environments without being tempted to fall.

I wouldn't abandon a close friend who wasn't Christian. I would just be more careful in what I exposed myself too when I am in the company of said friend.

webby

Think Slim
I know people from a variety of backgrounds. However, my closest friends happen to be Christian.

I have never judged a person by how they worship, but their actions towards me and others, in general.

Last edited:

Enchantmt

Progress...not perfection
Basically mine are

During one period of my life when I was really excited about God was giving me revelations concerning different teachings, I tried to share this with a friend. She happens to dabble in "white witchcraft" and spells and stuff. At one point she called me and asked me to come over and watch a movie with her because she was lonely but added "When you come over I dont want to hear anything about God." I didnt come at the time, I told her I wasnt able to make it. Honestly I was hurt over it. Later tho she ended up borrowing a lot of my joyce meyer tapes and eventually going to church. I still see all those books over her house when I come to visit though. I had tried to gingerly approach the topic, but shes the type if you give any type of feedback implying she needs to change something she goes ballastic. I figure God will deal with her in His own time.

I say this to say that I dont think that we should "exclude" anyone from our friendship. If I were not an example for her she probably would never have gotten around to going to church. I do think we should be careful though. its ok to be a friend to someone but you sometimes have to limit how intimate you are with them, and how much of yourself you expose to them. Use wisdom and limit your exposure if you are put into bad situations, are exposed to things that negatively affect your spirit or if being around them in any way negatively affect your walk/time spent with God.

Deluxe

I figured you guys were going to say as much, I already knew better I just guess I needed to hear it. My husband and I haven't been to church in a long time. We have a church home but he does not want to attend there anymore, I think mainly because my mother also attends there. The other day we got into a spat about not going to church, he said he didn't want to go to church period anymore. When I became upset he said he was just playing. I know that we can read the bible for ourselves, but I believe are in need of some type of christian fellowship. I Would like ask you all to pray myself and spouse, and pray that we find a church home that is compatible with us. Thanks for reading and responding, its appreciated.

Ms Red

Is your husband saved? A Christian? Just wondering.

I've found that going to church and being in the presence of/worshipping with Christians helps to encourage me.

JuJuBoo

Child of THE King!
For the most part yes. I have non Christian friends, but they're more acquantainces than anything.

lalah

I am in the beginning stage of strengthening my walk with God. All the people that I am surrounded by (family and friends) are doing things that are not christian like. They believe in God adn some even go to church and consider themselves saved, but their actions say differently. I am talking about gambling, getting drunk, going to clubs, smoking weed, having prematural sex with numerous guys, etc. I don't even want to answer my phone most of the time because when my cousins and friends talk, every other work is a curse word. Then in the mist of the conversation I start slipping up and cursing right along with them.

I don't have any christian friends that I can fellowship with and help me in my walk. I had my gospel cd on in my car when I went to pick up a friend and she said, "can we not listen to this." I love my friends and family, but I just feel that I need to get away from them for a while because it's making me feel that I am in constant struggle to do right being around them. They bring my spirit down and I really want to do what is right in God's eyes. I have prayed and asked God to bring strong Christians in my life because of all the negativity that I am surrounded by and to help me find a new church home that my friend don't attend. I am also praying to be stronger.

Honeyhips

Lovely
that is why this was hard for me to answer. I have lots of acquaintices and I'm not sure I can call them friends. But my covenant friendships are with Christians. I don't exclude anyone either.
JuJuBoo said:
For the most part yes. I have non Christian friends, but they're more acquantainces than anything.

lalah, it'll happen. God will send them.

Sweet C

lalah, don't fret, I know exactly how you feel. Just keep pressing toward your higher calling in God, and they will be the ones turning around and asking you for prayer (TRUST!).

I will say that as I grew in Christ, some acquantainces grew into friendship and vice versa. My closest friends are for the most part Christians, and this is good so we can encourage each other in the Word and be accountable to one another, but I do have some friends/acquatainces that aren't Christians.

JuJuBoo

Child of THE King!
Surprise said:
Did most of you meet your christian friends in church?

yes, alot in church, and a LOT in college SUPRISINGLY! Prayer works I'm tellin you. A lot of people fall away in college, but my faith became stronger because before I went to college I prayed that God would send me Christian friends FIRST and He did! Let me tell you, we knew how to PAR-TAAAAY!!!! without the boos, sex, and other foolishness that usually goes on in college. AND they were strong in their faith?!?!?! *sniff*...I miss those days!!! I still keep in touch with almost all of them. :yep:

Ayeshia

webby said:
I know people from a variety of backgrounds. However, my closest friends happen to be Christian.

I have never judged a person by how they worship, but their actions towards me and others, in general.
Same here, I am not christian and almost 80% of my friends are. When we hang out religion never comes up. Not because its an avoided convo, but just because. Any person who refuses to hang out with me based solely on what I believe in is not worth my time anyway. And I dont believe in someones bad habits brushing off on anyone. You're an adult ,the "bad" infulence stage should be zip to none at this point of your life.

JuJuBoo

Child of THE King!
Ayeshia said:
Same here, I am not christian and almost 80% of my friends are. When we hang out religion never comes up. Not because its an avoided convo, but just because. Any person who refuses to hang out with me based solely on what I believe in is not worth my time anyway. And I dont believe in someones bad habits brushing off on anyone. You're an adult ,the "bad" infulence stage should be zip to none at this point of your life.

Oh but they do. I think "peer pressure" is just as revelant to an adult as it is to a teen. You are who you hang around. For instance, if you hang around people that cuss ALL THE TIME for 5 years, what's the chance of you developing that habit? VERY high.

Ayeshia

JuJuBoo said:
Oh but they do. I think "peer pressure" is just as revelant to an adult as it is to a teen. You are who you hang around. For instance, if you hang around people that cuss ALL THE TIME for 5 years, what's the chance of you developing that habit? VERY high.
True...but like I said YOU are in control ultimately ....correct? I can give you a perfect example. A few of my friends that I hang around smoke weed, And Im proud to say that I have NEVER tried it. Even my grandmother smokes it. Since I am who I hang around, does that make me a pothead as well? Peer pressure is a ******, but it doesnt control me. Thats all Im saying. I mean whats the worse thats going to happen if you dont follow along with the crowd, is the world going to end?, are your friends going to shoot you in the neck? Nope. If someone pressures you that much to make you feel like you have to do something to fit in, then they arent your friends, thats an obvious.

And like I said before if someone doesnt want to hang aorund with me becasue of my religious convictions, then screw them. Im pretty sure if I was ignorant and said "no I don't befriend Christians, becasue I dont want the Christianity to rub off on me", it wouldnt sit well with a lot of people here. Not saying that anyone here said it, just generally speaking.

Last edited:

sithembile

Most of my friends are christian, I am still close to the friends I had before being born again, but its just not the same seeing as I don't party and drink anymore, so we naturally don't hang out as much.