Are there any ladies that use direct heat once a week?

sexyeyes3616

I use the flat iron once a week after I wash my hair. Could this be stifling my growth? My hair seems to be stuck at the same length. Are there any ladies who use heat once a week and do not have problems with retention? Please chime in.

1Aleeesha

I use the flat iron once a week after I wash my hair. Could this be stifling my growth? My hair seems to be stuck at the same length. Are there any ladies who use heat once a week and do not have problems with retention? Please chime in.

I flat iron once a week for 3 weeks on then I DC every other day the 4th week and then repeat... Deep conditioning is my bestest friend.

I personally do not believe that flat irons stunt hair growth it has not for me... And I don't have a problem with retention either (accept for being scisssor happy :look:) Someone else may say something different.

I do believe that a person shouldn't flat iron unhealthy/damaged hair every week. I think once a person gets there hair to great health, it wouldn't harm it... Well in my case. Others will say something different.

Once you perfect your regimen and really get it down what works for you and what doesn't then you will know and be able to tell.

MsChelle

I use direct heat on wash days. I cowash twice a week and deep condition each time. I don't have any problems with retention because of the heat.

Tybi

Last year I used direct heat (blow dry +flat iron) once a week, sometimes more! Never had any retention problems, dryness or shedding. I measured my hair and took pics and my hair grew at a normal rate. And I have thin fragile hair too.

I stopped because I joined a gym and working out 3x a week messed with my press. I wish I could work out without my hair looking like a HAM cause I really miss my straight hair, and it takes too long to straighten more than once a week. My natural hair is at that awkward length where no matter how I style it it looks not too good.

Anyway, as long as you protect your hair and deep condition I really see no problem.

Christelyn

I am experimenting with this right now. I use a really good shampoo and deep conditioner and have an exceptionally good flat iron. That said, I'm following Aleeeesha's advice to do three weeks on, one week off to see how my growth is.

msa

Heat is the devil which is what your hair is telling you by not retaining much length

I was just going to say this. If you are doing everything "right": deep conditioning with protein and moisture, heat protectant, and high quality tools...and you still aren't retaining length then the heat just isn't working for you.

Maybe you should think about using heat every other week...or taking some time off heat just to get your hair healthy and figure out what it needs.

Denise11

I use heat 3 times a week. I blow dry after every wash and flat iron on at least 1-2 of those days, and my hair is in great shape and is retaining all of my growth.

texasqt

I use heat 3 times a week. I blow dry after every wash and flat iron on at least 1-2 of those days, and my hair is in great shape and is retaining all of my growth.

Oooooo Denise!!! Please share your regimen!

I use heat at least once a week and found that applying my heat protector on wet hair before drying, airdrying, and then flatiron without any additional product works best for me. Doing this has reduced my breakage . I also know that I must deep condition each time I plan to use heat. Otherwise, I'm setting myself up for weak, breaking hair.

The primary reason behind my slow growth/breakage is when I go through phases of blowdrying my hair with the comb attachment - and apparently I don't know what I'm doing but I do it anyway when I'm in a hurry. :blush: (However switching to PinkSkates' Tension method has been a blessing!). AND being lazy about deep conditioning for 20 minutes under the dryer. Quick conditioners (2-5 minutes) don't cut it and I can tell the difference when I do that. I know my issues and it's not heat in itself. It's the improper use of heat that's damaging.

DMJ's Mom

I used to blowdry and flatiron my hair like clockwork every sunday afternoon and never had any problems with retaining length with dryness even split ends, the only reason I stopped is because it takes so long with my hair that I don't feel like wasting half a day anymore.

I flat iron 1x a week and sometimes for maybe two weeks at a time airdry but my hair is perfectly fine and I am retaining length but remember everyone hair is different. Also if you'ree going to be using heat ant your hair is relax protein is ur friend. I just a light protein treatment every week (Alternate btwn Aphogee 2 Minute and ORS Conditioner) and my leave in are protein based (CHI Silk Infusion / Aphogee Green Tea and Keratin Reconstructor ) so if you're not using too much protein up it up a little but don't forget to always back protein up with moisture!! But yes as you see there are ladies that do use heat on their hair and their hair is fine. LOL I'm sorry that airdrying look jus doesnt cut it for me!! I want my sleek straight look hence why I get relaxers.. lol

supermodelsonya

I would suggest those that love to use heat to up your protein. It makes the hair more durable. Not trying to bring up anything but Ateeya uses a lot of heat in her regimen and her hair seems to be doing just fine.

Protein is what strengthens the hair. Ladies that use more heat, just need to step their hair game up to retain length.

I'd also like to add...just because some people use heat on a regular basis, doesn't mean your hair can tolerate the same thing.

I learned that my hair grows best when I leave it the hell alone.

Dove56

I do. I am seriously in love with my flatiron and I REALLY love the new one I just got...lol. Anyway, I pre-poo with ORS Hair Mayo, wash with a chealting shampoo (ORS) and then I condition (Kenra, Keracare, Pantene, Herbal Essence). After that I spray Tresemme or Dove heat protectants on my damp hair,I use Salerm-21 leave-in then use Sabino Moisture Block. Before I used Sabino I used Chi Keratin Spray and Chi Silk Infusion. I don't blow dry I just sit under my bonnet dryer then flat-iron and wrap my hair until the next wash. My hair still grows very fast and I retain of my length. My hair is triple processed, BTW (Tex-laxed, old-highlights covered by darker dye and now BKT'd). :)

If you are doing everything right just forego the heat and rollerset. You can never go wrong by eliminating heat. I DC once a week because I use heat.

Denise11

I don't have a regimen. I just shampoo when I feel I need to. And I DC after every shampoo. I don't cowash or do any of those other things like baggying, protective styling etc.

I just use a leave in and oil after conditioning, sometimes just oil. But I always use a heat protectant. My hair has always been in great condition treating it this way, even before LHCF. I came here because of dry hair, now that's taken care of with the DCs. LOL

I just go with how my hair feels. That's all.

Oooooo Denise!!! Please share your regimen!

I use heat at least once a week and found that applying my heat protector on wet hair before drying, airdrying, and then flatiron without any additional product works best for me. Doing this has reduced my breakage . I also know that I must deep condition each time I plan to use heat. Otherwise, I'm setting myself up for weak, breaking hair.

The primary reason behind my slow growth/breakage is when I go through phases of blowdrying my hair with the comb attachment - and apparently I don't know what I'm doing but I do it anyway when I'm in a hurry. :blush: (However switching to PinkSkates' Tension method has been a blessing!). AND being lazy about deep conditioning for 20 minutes under the dryer. Quick conditioners (2-5 minutes) don't cut it and I can tell the difference when I do that. I know my issues and it's not heat in itself. It's the improper use of heat that's damaging.

sexyeyes3616

I use OCT. So I don't want protein overload. I put a protein conditioner in my hair 2x a month. Should I be using a protein conditioner more often?

texasqt

...After that I spray Tresemme or Dove heat protectants on my damp hair,I use Salerm-21 leave-in then use Sabino Moisture Block. Before I used Sabino I used Chi Keratin Spray and Chi Silk Infusion. I don't blow dry I just sit under my bonnet dryer then flat-iron...

...I just use a leave in and oil after conditioning, sometimes just oil. But I always use a heat protectant....

@ Denise and Veejee - Do you only use your heat protectant on damp hair or do you also apply it on dry hair right before you flat-iron? I'm referring to the serum kind.

msa

I use OCT. So I don't want protein overload. I put a protein conditioner in my hair 2x a month. Should I be using a protein conditioner more often?

Do you deep condition before you use heat every single time?

You may need to do a light protein treatment every time you DC. You could just mix something moisturizing with a protein.

IMO, you should stop using heat until your hair is back to its optimal health. It's never a good idea to use heat on hair that is already weak and breaking.

Dove56

@ Denise and Veejee - Do you only use your heat protectant on damp hair or do you also apply it on dry hair right before you flat-iron? I'm referring to the serum kind.

Texasqt,

I use mine on damp hair. Sabino is VERY heavy so there's no way I can apply it without my hair looking like put Elmers glue in it..lol. When I used Chi Silk Infusion I put it in damp hair and I would use a little before I flat-iron. :)

*Michelle*

the tags good news from africa and you are not white ??huh??

???

I use heat (bdry/f-iron) weekly and is no problem at all. I use redken heat protecters and have for years LOVE THEM. Oh and the ceramides in their products rock! I digress, this isn't about how much I love Redken products...sorry. :grin:

Sabino is VERY heavy I have used it and a pea size for my whole head is all it takes.

Live4Me

I have relaxed hair with high-lights that cannot take excessive heat. If I do use heat, I kept it EXTRA moisturized and used CHI Silk Infusion before and after blow-drying. Even still, I never had a problem with retention, but I would need a light dusting more often than I would like.

blackpearl81

Before LHCF, I washed, blow dryed, and flat ironed my hair twice a week and its no suprise that that routine caused A LOT of damage. Now, I make sure to balance my moisture/protein, always dc, and always air-dry. I still flat iron once a week using a heat protectant. No problem w/retention, It just depends on how much and how often you're using heat. And I also agree that heat should not be used on damaged hair at all...:nono:

topnotch1010

Real Housewife of Houston
I use my flat iron on my friday wash day only. On my co-wash days, I air dry and bun. I co-wash with a protein reconstructor for added protection on heat days. I never use heat without a protector or on high either. I have had no problems retaining length either.

sparklebh

I press my hair once a week (weekend) and I tell you my hair is sooo nappy, and I work out 5 time a week also with no problem my answer is this deep conditioning with protein and moisture, heat protectant, and high quality tools and please get yourself some sabino moisture block this stuff is the best for all natural pressed hair. I am 53 and never press my hair without it the stuff works.:grin:

sexyeyes3616

???

I use heat (bdry/f-iron) weekly and is no problem at all. I use redken heat protecters and have for years LOVE THEM. Oh and the ceramides in their products rock! I digress, this isn't about how much I love Redken products...sorry. :grin:

Sabino is VERY heavy I have used it and a pea size for my whole head is all it takes.

Do you use Redken Heat Glide?