Bunning Ladies, No-heat, Air-drying, Weave,& So on...

MizaniMami

planodiva said:
Mizani Mami,

Playing devils advocate here...I go to my stylist and she applies heat. So that is maybe once or twice a month(depending on my pocketbook). I totally have a heat phobia but my hair is growing as slow as molasses. I never apply heat at home and bun daily and I'm plain tired of it.

If just seems unfair and I don't want to give in to the whole genetically your hair is predestined myth but if I don't retain some growth soon I'm gone scream literally. For like three months nothing. GRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!

Maybe you are growing but having a hard time retaining. Maybe start using more protein based hair products. I am using strong protein based products while my hair is in the pony. I know for me if makes my hair retain length.

SweetCaramel1

i actually used more heat during my stretch than afterwards. lately i've been washing and air drying in a ponytail. the look of the results are "ok" but the feel and strength of my hair is fantabulous. it's very shiny and moist. i guess the dryer was "drying out" my hair without me knowing it. there's a huge difference not using heat. i enjoy not having to sit under that darn dryer for 2 hours. i'm going to try to make it through the summer using as little as possible.

MizaniMami

Bumping!!!

I wanted to use rollerset and flat iron every two mos, but I am getting that feeling again.

I want to rollerset and flat iron again in two weeks, which would make it a month since I used heat. Then refrain from heat for 8 weeks until touch up time.

Should I go for it????

glamazon386

So rarely that I can't even tell you. I had it blown out twice so far this year. And I blowdried it once or twice when I was about to go to the salon to reweave. Other than that I let it airdry.

Wishin4BSL

I usually use heat every one to two weeks but my hair has been thinning. I'm now challenging myself to a no heat regimen for 5 months. I hope I can handle it. My first experiment is wrapping my hair with Redken Smooth Down after air drying. I'll have the results by tomorrow on this one. My hair is wrapped as I type. If that doesn't work, I'll try wrapping with mango butter mixed with something since it has such a thick consistency.

Candy_C

every 3 months! my ends are in great condition, i wont trim ever again, just search and destroys. i wish i let go of heat a long time ago, but u live and u learn!

amy1234

I've cut back on the blowdrying for 3 weeks now! Since I am wearing my hair up in a protective style then I only need to smoothen out my rollerset because my hair is texturized. So I've cut back to only flat-ironing my hair every 2 weeks.

Lady_Lioness

NEVER...I haven't used direct heat since march of 2005 (dominican blowout)...and i'm never looking back...my hair is loving me for it.

sareca

I do length checks once a month which means rollersetting and pressing the roots or blow drying on low.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Wow, you guys are hardcore compared to me!:lol: When I was relaxed, I used heat with no problem. Is using heat bad? My natural and texlaxed hair will not straiten, so I don't use heat at all. My relaxed hair even has to be flat ironed to get strait. I'm relaxer resistant. The grasshopper will learn.

lana

Well I'm a natural 4a and I haven't used heat in about 5 weeks. That's the longest I've ever gone without using heat since I can remember. I plan to go 5 more months. Because I'm on the hide your hair challenge. I won't get to see my hair until December. I'm really hoping to aid my hair in retaining length. I'm using products with protein and moisture benefits and so far so good. I also don't plan to trim until I start wearing my hair down again. Right now it stays in a moisturized bun all day long.

MissFallon

If I want to wear my hair straight I rollerset and then wrap it and then I put some anti-frizz cream (not serum) and anti-poof cream (sunsilk) on my hair so that it stays straight. It generally stays straight for 5-7 days. I also use the scarf method and then twist the ponytail so it comes pretty straight then I wrap myhair when it dries.

I have used heat 3x in the past 9 months.

leleepop

I think Im gonna banish heat also. I am 6 weeks post and did the ponytail method last night and it came out great. I hope Im not getting ahead of myself. I gonna wash it tonight again and see if it comes out again.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Most times I use heat twice a month after I shampoo which is bi-weekly. Over the summer I've just been doing wash n'go's so I haven't used heat for like 4 months now. I must say my hair is much healthier now. I barely even see any splits and I haven't trimmed in about 5 months. That's a record for me cuz my hair is always splitting.....only now I know why.

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
I was the queen of air drying in a ponytail or bun and my hair thrived on the lack of heat then all of a sudden my hair couldn't take the air drying anymore. :ohwell: So I have been doing weekly rollersets w/ a wrap for straight hair for about 6 weeks. I really like it (except the time I spend under the dryer). Since I go back to protective styles in the Fall I guess I will have to rollerset and wrap to dry and then put it in a bun or braid for a protective style. I refuse to use a blow dryer so its all rollersets for me now.

Wishin4BSL

I haven't used heat for about a month and a half and I won't use it until December. After that, I'll probably use it once every 2 months after a relaxer, but that's only because I get my relaxers done in a salon. I get rollersets though, so it's not that bad. I never have split ends anymore. I thought it was weird, but I didn't think that I had stopped getting them because I don't use heat anymore. Now I know!

Jewell

The only direct heat I use is a blowdryer every couple of months...the last time was 4 months ago. I stopped using flat-irons, curling irons, etc consistently 3 years ago. As for rollersets, my hair is so thick that it takes upward of 2 hours to dry root to end. So I don't do them. Air-drying is the best method for me.

Mahalialee4

No heat. I rarely even deep conditioner under my hooded dryer. Occasionally I will use a barely warm Microwaveable heating cap just to keep my head from feeling cold from the peppermint conditioners. To my hair curling irons are the kiss of death and blow dryers forget it, too much trauma. Have not used these devices in about 8 years. I believe also that they thin out the hair and damage the ends and the roots and cause the hair to become dry overtime. Just my opinion
http://public.fotki.com/Mahalialee4/