Bunning Ladies, No-heat, Air-drying, Weave,& So on...

MizaniMami

Or anybody who is successfully avoiding heat to retain length.

How often do you use direct heat? I am contemplating changing my whole regimen to include no heat. I have been doing no heat since April 1st (can you believe it?!:p :D ) and I am doing a personal no heat for a month challenge to see how this works.

But I still want to flat iron once in a while. I think I may do it every other week or every 2 weeks.

I wanted to get some ideas from other ladies. How often do you low/no heat users use direct heat (flat ironing or blowdrying) without it damaging your hair?

KiSseS03

For me even when I tried to use direct heat once a week, it was too much. My hair made a complete turn-around when I just stopped using direct heat altogether. The first time I gave up heat I went cold-turkey for 5 months and after that I was hooked, based on the results... My hairdresser barely had to trim my hair. I stopped using heat again on November 24th and only flat-ironed once (April 1st like you!) to check length, and it's no heat again for five months now. If I want to smooth my hair out now, I just roller-set and let it airdry.

Mestiza

I don't use any direct heat, whatsoever and my hair loves me for it. :lol: Recently, I started deep conditioning under a dryer and my hair loves it! :love: I always airdry my hair and wear it in a bun, most times. My hair is so healthy. :drunk:

Healthb4Length

I use heat when I do my deep treatments. I only use direct heat once in awhile, like every 5 months or so. I just wear a bun or braids or other protective styles 99% of the time. I just purchased an Ion soft bonnet dryer and I'm hoping to do more straight styles with it, I hope that it's not damaging, I dont' believe it is.

OneInAMillion

MizaniMami said:
Or anybody who is successfully avoiding heat to retain length.

How often do you use direct heat? I am contemplating changing my whole regimen to include no heat. I have been doing no heat since April 1st (can you believe it?!:p :D ) and I am doing a personal no heat for a month challenge to see how this works.

But I still want to flat iron once in a while. I think I may do it every other week or every 2 weeks.

I wanted to get some ideas from other ladies. How often do you low/no heat users use direct heat (flat ironing or blowdrying) without it damaging your hair?

Great question! I'm doing the same thing (a personal no-heat mini challenge). I used to use direct heat on my roots weekly, but I've gone 3 weeks minus heat so far. I'd like to cut back to at least every 3 weeks (blowing my roots only) and see what happens. From what I see, cutting back makes my hair more full & shiny, and I'm trying to see if growth will increase. I'm curious to know if anyone else has had luck with this as well...

Sistaslick

once a month for me-- mainly for the sake of checking up on my ends. Its usually bunned back up by the end of the day:lol:

cocowhite

I only use heat the day after a relaxer, so I can flat iron and check length and pretty goes back up into a bun. However, I have used heat once last month for length check and this month for Easter.

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
I think the last time I used a blow dryer was back in December to check length. I think in 2005 I may have used a blow dryer 4 times (maybe). Its been almost 3 years since I've used a curling iron. Now I use my maxiglide once every 2-3 months.

I have found other ways to get my hair straight so direct heat isn't really necessary for me anymore. My rule is if I'm wearing my hair straight or out I do it for 3 days (that's how long I go between washes) and then its back in a bun or clip for the rest of the week.

FlyyGyrl

I only use heat after a relaxer and even that is just to check length. So every 4 months for me.

ETA: I use the cool setting on my blow dryer. I still count it as heat.

Last edited:

MizaniMami

Whoa, I think every 3-5 mos if def. too long for me.

I think once every 3 weeks or a month is goof for me though.

Do you ladies worry about feeling 'cute?' I go a lot of places and I feel more, should I say, polished with my hair down.

How do you ladies feel abotu this issue?

SparklingFlame

MizaniMami said:
Do you ladies worry about feeling 'cute?' I go a lot of places and I feel more, should I say, polished with my hair down.

I think its about personal preferance. I would feel cute wearing it however I felt like wearing it at the time be it in a bun, or ponytail (like I can get my hair in a ponytail!).

I havent used any direct heat in almost 4 months but tonight I am going to use my blow dryer on warm so that I can see the leanght more and to make my twists longer.

alexstin

I usually only use direct heat when I get a relaxer so about every 14 weeks. When I first started taking better care of my hair the thought of no direct heat sent shivers down my spine;) . Now, no biggie. I'm able to achieve a straight look with a rollerset if I want to. I usually wear my hair in a rollerset(traditional and flexirod) and have no problems feeling "cute":D .

DH actually likes me to wear a bun since he likes my hair up. When I wear it up it's usually up with a hair claw.

MizaniMami

alexstin said:
I usually only use direct heat when I get a relaxer so about every 14 weeks. When I first started taking better care of my hair the thought of no direct heat sent shivers down my spine;) . Now, no biggie. I'm able to achieve a straight look with a rollerset if I want to. I usually wear my hair in a rollerset(traditional and flexirod) and have no problems feeling "cute":D .

DH actually likes me to wear a bun since he likes my hair up. When I wear it up it's usually up with a hair claw.

Damn I wish my hair would get straight with a roller set *jealous*

Your hair is gorgeous by the way!

alexstin

It doesn't get straight like it would with a flat iron but just the ends looked bumped so it has a little swing.

Have you ever tried setting it on large rollers and wrapping? I don't know how to wrap but I will tie the top down and tuck the rest under a bonnet for a nice bumped look.:)

Thanks for the compliment! You hair is very pretty!!!

taraglam2

Sistaslick said:
once a month for me-- mainly for the sake of checking up on my ends. Its usually bunned back up by the end of the day:lol:

Exactly what Sistaslick said above. Heat once a month--that's it and that one day that heat is applied, my hair is back in a bun later that day.

NYRICAN1

What do you ladies do when you have new growth. do you just rollerset and wrap? I usually get my roots blown but I am noticing my hair is getting slightly thinner so I am thinking of stopping my stylist from doing this.

FlyyGyrl

MizaniMami said:

Oh yes I stay flyy all the time (Hence my name). I am the girl who is always done. Never wear sneakers, always dressed to a T. I am able to get my hair really straight without heat (satin scarf method). Also I am pretty good with straw sets bantu knots etc. Luckily I look really good in a bun. So for me its not an issue. Oh yea I yr ago I thought I couldn't live without heat:lol: Its very do-able.

MizaniMami

Flyy girl

Okaaaaay! I see you with your bad self lol. I guess the name matches the face. Love it!

What is your silk scarf drying method?

divya

I have only used heat once on my hair twice since the beginning of 2006. I hardly use heat...

Cichelle

I don't ever use heat on my hair. Lately, I've been tempted to blow it dry just to see what it would look like. But I've been putting it off. I kinda don't want to break my no heat streak. It has been about 3 years, maybe longer. And I guess I am now being extra careful since the b/c. My hair is healthy and I don't want to do anything to compromise that. I don't think blow drying it once would ruin my hair. But I'm still scared.

SparklingFlame

Cichelle said:
I don't ever use heat on my hair. Lately, I've been tempted to blow it dry just to see what it would look like. But I've been putting it off. I kinda don't want to break my no heat streak. It has been about 3 years, maybe longer. And I guess I am now being extra careful since the b/c. My hair is healthy and I don't want to do anything to compromise that. I don't think blow drying it once would ruin my hair. But I'm still scared.
Yeah i feel the same as you.

FlyyGyrl

MizaniMami said:
Flyy girl

Okaaaaay! I see you with your bad self lol. I guess the name matches the face. Love it!

What is your silk scarf drying method?

Actually it's slyver2's method and I think she has photos of it in her album. Basically after washing my hair I apply my leave ins and seal with oil. I make sure the hair is combed and parted in whatever fashion I plan on wearing. Then while my hair is still wet I cover it with a satin/silk scarf and let it dry. If I want curly ends then I will apply rollers. Reniece also has a modified method in her album www.reniece.com. HTH

carmella25

I havent used heat in almost 3 1/2 years. I finally did it for the first time this month to check the length. I flat ironed it. I didnt add any products to it. It was so shiny and thick. I love my hair now.

All I do is put it in the bun using the baggie method.

planodiva

Mizani Mami,

Playing devils advocate here...I go to my stylist and she applies heat. So that is maybe once or twice a month(depending on my pocketbook). I totally have a heat phobia but my hair is growing as slow as molasses. I never apply heat at home and bun daily and I'm plain tired of it.

If just seems unfair and I don't want to give in to the whole genetically your hair is predestined myth but if I don't retain some growth soon I'm gone scream literally. For like three months nothing. GRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!

Isis

FlyyGyrl said:
Actually it's slyver2's method and I think she has photos of it in her album. Basically after washing my hair I apply my leave ins and seal with oil. I make sure the hair is combed and parted in whatever fashion I plan on wearing. Then while my hair is still wet I cover it with a satin/silk scarf and let it dry. If I want curly ends then I will apply rollers. Reniece also has a modified method in her album www.reniece.com. HTH
Sylver2's method is a very good one and one of the other ladies on this board had instructions in her album too on airdrying in a scarf. I think it works best on hair that's relaxed straight. Mine was smooth on top but the rest was bushy, unless I didn't do it right.
ETA:
I just checked my notes :fan: and no, I didn't do Sylver2's airdrying scarf method right at all. I'm going to have to just do it. I use her regular, daily scarf method always, especially while stretching my relaxer - it's a must. :yep:

Last edited:

Isis

NYRICAN1 said:
What do you ladies do when you have new growth. do you just rollerset and wrap? I usually get my roots blown but I am noticing my hair is getting slightly thinner so I am thinking of stopping my stylist from doing this.
I don't use any heat (since 2003), just airdry in rollersets. I've been recently learning new airdrying techniques, such as Neroli's airdrying bun technique. Wearing a silk or satin scarf over my newgrowth really helps to smooth it out and flatten it, including when I wear my hair down.

juicy555

I only get heat with touchup visits and that's less frequently now but used to be every 6 weeks. I agree with the satin scarf comments, works like magic to keep everything nice and smooth. Add the NTM silk leave in and yum yum, so silky :pWhenever I'm home I just slap that bad boy black satin scarf on my head....:D although lately I'm starting to worry if I look frumpy to my man all the time! :ohwell: