Are There Any STRICT Air-Dryers That Do Long Stretches?

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
I am still amazed by the number of women on this board that are able to do "super-stretches." I still can't seem to make it past about 12 weeks.

So I started thinking to myself that maybe the people that can go months and months and weeks and weeks between relaxers, are using heat to keep the hair more manageable.

So again, my question is is anyone out there not using heat and able to stretch beyond 12 weeks. (namely type 3s and 4s)

MizAvalon

Right here! :wave: I don't have a blowdryer. Haven't owned one in probably about 10 years. I stretch to 20 weeks just fine. Of course I didn't start off at 20, I gradually increased from 12, 14, 16, etc. If you just go a little longer each cycle, you'll see how much easier it gets. It's unbelievable to me now that I used to relax at 12 weeks.

That said, I have been considering getting a CHI turbo for those times when I just can't wait 4 hours for my hair to dry. Otherwise, airdrying is the best!:)

I am a 4a/b by the way.

baglady215

MizAvalon said:
Right here! :wave: I don't have a blowdryer. Haven't owned one in probably about 10 years. I stretch to 20 weeks just fine. Of course I didn't start off at 20, I gradually increased from 12, 14, 16, etc. If you just go a little longer each cycle, you'll see how much easier it gets. It's unbelievable to me now that I used to relax at 12 weeks.

That is great advice MizAvalon, and that is what I'm trying to do. I usually can't go past 8 weeks, but this time I'm shooting for 10, and so on.

Sorry for the hijack. :sekret:

MizAvalon

baglady215 said:
That is great advice MizAvalon, and that is what I'm trying to do. I usually can't go past 8 weeks, but this time I'm shooting for 10, and so on.

There you go!:) It will get easier each time.

Healthb4Length

When I first started stretching I could only go for 10 weeks, I've gradually worked my way up to 8 1/2 months(currently) and counting. I only use heat when I do my deep treatments or when I want to straighten my hair to see lenght...but that's rarely. I do protective styles like twistouts/braidouts and bantu knots that don't really require heat, my hair thanks me for that.

MizAvalon

Alli77 said:
When I first started stretching I could only go for 10 weeks, I've gradually worked my way up to 8 1/2 months(currently) and counting. I only use heat when I do my deep treatments or when I want to straighten my hair to see lenght...but that's rarely. I do protective styles like twistouts/braidouts and bantu knots that don't really require heat, my hair thanks me for that.

Wow!:eek: Why so long? Are you considering transistioning?

Allandra

Supergirl said:
So I started thinking to myself that maybe the people that can go months and months and weeks and weeks between relaxers, are using heat to keep the hair more manageable.
I only use heat two or three times in between relaxer touch ups (which is every 4 months).

Lucie

Dancin' on sunshine!
I have done long stretches, because I wear my hair in a bun, or ponytail. And if I leave it out, I make sure I deep condition it, so the NG ends up being really soft and manageable.

HoneyDew

I am so jealous of you guys.

I don't like the way my hair looks or feels if I stretch or airdry.

Arcadian

Last time I used heat - New Years Eve

Last time I relaxed - November 19

Here's whats kept me sane: Ensure and porosity control. I airdry, I just try to be really gentle and those two have helped to keep my relaxed hair from getting really tangled. Its getting hard though because my new growth is so out of control...can't get the denman through it or my big comb! (this morning I said forgeddabaoutit and put on a scarf):lachen:

I'm trying to wait to relax on march 19. That would be week 17 for me.

-A

Healthb4Length

MizAvalon said:
Wow!:eek: Why so long? Are you considering transistioning?

I'm not transitioning, I'm just broke:lol: ! But I've learned to understand and how to handle my hair effortlessly. I do buns most of the time and with the help of Mango butter or Cantu strengthening creme my NG looks fairly straight. I think I may do my next touch up myself but I'm not sure.

Isis

I have not used heat since July, 2003 and although I usually stretch for 13 weeks, I have stretched successfully for as long as 16 weeks. I airdry my hair 98 % of the time in a rollerset overnight to help smooth and straighten my hair. The other 2% of the time when I need to speed drying time up, I use one of my ION hair dryers (soft bonnet or hard bonnet) to rollerset, using the cool setting only.

MissYocairis

Supergirl said:
I am still amazed by the number of women on this board that are able to do "super-stretches." I still can't seem to make it past about 12 weeks.

So again, my question is is anyone out there not using heat and able to stretch beyond 12 weeks. (namely type 3s and 4s)

I stretch 16 weeks but I wear mostly wet buns. It gets old and annoying but I am not skilled yet with doing anything else to my hair and I don't want to risk hurting it.

Edited to add: I co-wash every 2 days or so, d/c weekly and comb only minimally when soaking wet before putting in bun.

Tamsin2005

Thanks to you ladies, I've been doing 14 week stretches. For the past 2 relaxers (and since joining this board), I have only used heat to straighten my hair twice since August 2005. I wash (2-3X per week), pull into ponytail, baggie the bun and tie it in a satin scarf. In the morning I re-do the ponytail, clip a phony bun on the baggied ponytail and off I go! It is boring but this has saved my rather thin hair. I'm sure I would be practically bald by now if it hadn't been for the great advice I get from you ladies. You are all sweethearts! To give my DH a break I do wear it down in the evening after work!

melodee

Good question Super::)

I'm like Allandra--I stretch out to every four months or so, and I only use heat maybe twice between time.

But I know that's not a STRICT air drying method. The only way I can do this is if I am in braids. Usually, I need to have my hair look "presentable" when at church (I am "highly visible" and people note my hair all the time) or when I attend meetings/events where a crispy air dry won't do.

I have done some neat buns, but I just don't always feel very pretty in buns.
So I'd like advice on this too.

melodee

Isis said:
I have not used heat since July, 2003 and although I usually stretch for 13 weeks, I have stretched successfully for as long as 16 weeks. I airdry my hair 98 % of the time in a rollerset overnight to help smooth and straighten my hair. The other 2% of the time when I need to speed drying time up, I use one of my ION hair dryers (soft bonnet or hard bonnet) to rollerset, using the cool setting only.

Isis, way to go girl. What is your heatless rollersetting secret? My hair stays soggy(it takes days to dry) and the curl goes flat when I remove the roller.

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
I just relaxed after a 18 week stretch. I co washed or rinsed every other day or every two days. I wore a aridried bun until my hair dried (usually a day) then I cornrowed in 4 braids and wore a braid out. I used heat once during the stretch when I needed my hair "done" for Christmas. When I wasn't wearing a bun I wore a braid or my hair pinned up in a claw clip.