Are you relaxer savvy????

Honi

There is no board.
I thought this was kind of interesting so I thought I’d share. I was really surprised after reading the comment after extreme breakage after relaxing. I don’t remember a stylist ever leaving neutralizer in my hair for 5 minutes.
Enjoy!

Why some hair will not relax:

Basically, this is due to the patron's body chemistry. If your patron is on certain medications or consumes large quantities of acid-laden foods or drinks such as lemon, lime, orange juice, carbonated soft drinks or is experiencing a nervous condition or in various stages of pregnancy, these and other conditions can lower normal body pH from 5.5 to approximately 3.5. This means that any scalp secretions, perspiration or sebum will be at the same lower pH. This, plus heavy hair dressings, coat the lower hair shaft causing a pre-neutralizing effect on the hair prior to contact with the relaxer. Combing a relaxer cream with a pH of 12 to 13 with sufficient scalp secretions at a pH of 3.5 to 4.0 may result in a pH of 8.5 or less. This pH is generally too low to relax hair.

Why Breakage Appears Sometimes On The Nape Of The Neck After Relaxing
Generally what happens is after you have rinsed the relaxer from the hair, you will lean the client back onto the bowl without first rinsing leftover from the neck of the bowl. Therefore, the relaxer re-contacts with the nape of the neck and overprocessing is possible. Be sure to rinse the relaxer from the neck of the bowl.

What Is The Cause Of Extreme Breakage Shortly After Relaxing?
If your hair was in good condition prior to relaxing, and then starts to break or shed after the relaxer treatment, this is probably due to improper neutralizing. (The shampoo was not left in the hair long enough to properly neutralize). The neutralizing shampoo must be in contact with th hair for at least 5 minutes regardless of how many soapings you give. It takes at least that long for the active ingredients in the neutralizer to penetrate all three layers of the hair shaft and bring the pH of the hair down to normal. If you rinse the neutralizing shampoo from the hair too soon, you may stop the action of the neutralizer while the pH of the chemical in the hair is still in a high alkaline state. This will cause breakage and shedding because some active ingredients from the relaxer are still in the inner-hair causing rapid deterioration.
Using Vitale's Revive Positive Conditioner prior to neutralization, helps eliminate all alkaline substances inside the hair shaft and thus prevent breakage problems due to poor neutralizing.

Can Plain Water Neutralize A Relaxer?

NO! Water may appear to neutralize the relaxer as you rinse all the relaxer off the scalp because any burning sensation ceases. The water also rinses away relaxer on the hair. However, it will not rinse away the relaxer that is in the hair. Only the active ingredients in the neutralizer can penetrate the hair shaft and stop the action of the active ingredient in the hair.

BrEE

does anyone know why some relaxers use neautralizing conditioner after washing out the relaxer before using neutralizing shampoo??? whats the big deal dont they both do the same thing??????? is one method better than the other????

BrEE

does anyone know why some relaxers use neautralizing conditioner after washing out the relaxer before using neutralizing shampoo??? whats the big deal dont they both do the same thing??????? is one method better than the other???? btw i plan to relax this upcoming week w/ elucence, would a relaxer that uses a neutralizing coditioner be better?

fine_beauty

Jesus, I Trust In You!
[ QUOTE ]
bree said:
does anyone know why some relaxers use neautralizing conditioner after washing out the relaxer before using neutralizing shampoo??? whats the big deal dont they both do the same thing??????? is one method better than the other???? btw i plan to relax this upcoming week w/ elucence, would a relaxer that uses a neutralizing coditioner be better?

[/ QUOTE ]
To prevent swelling of the hair, it is recommended that a conditioning neutralizer be used instead of a shampoo. These products are applied generously to the entire head and particularly to the new growth area, scalp, and hairline to completely neutralize the alkalinity from where it is most concentrated (new growth area) to where it is least concentrated (ends): just after the relaxer creme is rinsed out (usually 95 seconds of rinsing or 45-60 seconds for short hair). The low pH of the conditioning neutralizer (pH 3 - 3.5) will handle the excess alkali. The products should be combed through to keep the hair in a straight pattern and allowed to remain on the hair and scalp for at least 5 minutes, then rinsed and re-applied for another 3 minutes before rinsing again.
Shampooing is only offered as a service to remove/prevent the sulfury deposits in the hair. The hair and scalp should not be massaged, as the bonds may still be quite active and the scalp may be sore. It is also recommended to have very mild surfactants at this point, since both the hair and the scalp are chemically compromised.

Using a conditioner instead of a shampoo and the elimination of extensive water rinsing is a new concept. Several new commercial products using this technology are being introduced to the market place.

http://www.angelfire.com/journal/nutrients/manu.html

BrEE

thank you so much myhairsos =+). just wondering, since elucence doesnt come with a neutralizing conditioner could i use the one from motions oil moisturizer relaxer???or is it not a good idea to mix products from diff brands??

fine_beauty

Jesus, I Trust In You!
It's alright to mix. I learnt about this 3 months ago when I did my last touchup and I used the motions neutralizing conditioner since my just for me kiddy perm kit doesn't come with its own.