As Christians. . .what are we ALL called to do?

HeChangedMyName

I ask this in light of some conversations that have been coming up a lot lately. What are we all to do? How do we carry that out in today's world where being PC(politically correct) is running rampant all the while people are lost in the darkness because no one is bold enough to tell them the truth and bring them to the light? At what cost do we fulfill our call? Do we risk losing jobs, homes, ridicule from the neighbors? Let's discuss and please let's keep this thread on the topic at hand. So, let's rally up. Get your Bibles. Let's see what Jesus has to say about it and let's discuss, precept upon precept. line upon line. Let's do this.

HeChangedMyName

Matthew 22:36-38
"Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment.

So, before we can do anything for anyone else, we must first love God with all our heart

Once we love God we are called to be disciples which is defined as: One who embraces and assists in spreading the teachings of another.

Matthew 10:1
He called his twelve disciples to him and gave them authority to drive out evil spirits and to heal every disease and sickness.

Matthew 10:5-8
These twelve Jesus sent out with the following instructions: "Do not go among the Gentiles or enter any town of the Samaritans. Go rather to the lost sheep of Israel. As you go, preach this message: 'The kingdom of heaven is near.' 8Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse those who have leprosy,drive out demons. Freely you have received, freely give.

This is a pretty simple and straighforward scripture. Jesus gave us authority and then told us to go into the world and gather his lost sheep. Those that are out in the world and in the darkness. Those people are like the foolish people in the next verse, they are lost and we are the ones responsible for giving them the knowledge to seek God

1 Corinthians 1:18
For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. 19For it is written:
"I will destroy the wisdom of the wise;
the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate."(NIV)

Matthew 13 discusses how to find them and recognize those who are lost. . .basically, they are the ones who just don't get it.
10 The disciples came to him and asked, "Why do you speak to the people in parables?" 11 He replied, "The knowledge of the secrets of the kingdom of heaven has been given to you, but not to them. 12 Whoever has will be given more, and he will have an abundance. Whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken from him. 13 This is why I speak to them in parables: "Though seeing, they do not see; though hearing, they do not hear or understand. 14 In them is fulfilled the prophecy of Isaiah: "'You will be ever hearing but never understanding; you will be ever seeing but never perceiving. 15 For this people's heart has become calloused; they hardly hear with their ears, and they have closed their eyes. Otherwise they might see with their eyes, hear with their ears, understand with their hearts and turn, and I would heal them.' 16 But blessed are your eyes because they see, and your ears because they hear. 17 For I tell you the truth, many prophets and righteous men longed to see what you see but did not see it, and to hear what you hear but did not hear it.

Once we accept the call, how do we fulfill it? FAITH

John 6
28 Then they asked him, "What must we do to do the works God requires?" 29 Jesus answered, "The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent."

John 14
12 I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. 13 And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father. 14 You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.

15 "If you love me, you will obey what I command. 16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever-- 17 the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you

Last edited:

Ms.Honey

We are to seek and save that which is lost, proselytize the unsaved, preach the gospel

Luk 4:18
The Spirit of the Lord [is] upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,
Luk 4:19 To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.

Luk 4:20 And he closed the book, and he gave [it] again to the minister, and sat down. And the eyes of all them that were in the synagogue were fastened on him.
Luk 4:21 And he began to say unto them, This day is this scripture fulfilled in your ears.

1Cr 1:17 For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.

Ms.Honey

To actually live the life of a Christian not in somethings but all things being a witness to draw folks to Christ.

1Th 5:6 Therefore let us not sleep, as [do] others; but let us watch and be sober.

1Th 5:7 For they that sleep sleep in the night; and they that be drunken are drunken in the night.

1Th 5:8 But let us, who are of the day, be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love; and for an helmet, the hope of salvation.

1Th 5:9 For God hath not appointed us to wrath, but to obtain salvation by our Lord Jesus Christ,

1Th 5:10 Who died for us, that, whether we wake or sleep, we should live together with him.

1Th 5:11 Wherefore comfort yourselves together, and edify one another, even as also ye do.

1Th 5:12 And we beseech you, brethren, to know them which labour among you, and are over you in the Lord, and admonish you;

1Th 5:13 And to esteem them very highly in love for their work's sake. [And] be at peace among yourselves.

1Th 5:14 Now we exhort you, brethren, warn them that are unruly, comfort the feebleminded, support the weak, be patient toward all [men].

1Th 5:15 See that none render evil for evil unto any [man]; but ever follow that which is good, both among yourselves, and to all [men].

1Th 5:16 Rejoice evermore.

1Th 5:17 Pray without ceasing.

1Th 5:18 In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.

1Th 5:19 Quench not the Spirit.

1Th 5:20 Despise not prophesyings.

1Th 5:21 Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.

1Th 5:22 Abstain from all appearance of evil.

1Th 5:23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and [I pray God] your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

1Th 5:24 Faithful [is] he that calleth you, who also will do [it].

1Th 5:25 Brethren, pray for us.

1Th 5:26 Greet all the brethren with an holy kiss.

1Th 5:27 I charge you by the Lord that this epistle be read unto all the holy brethren.

1Th 5:28 The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ [be] with you. Amen. [[[The following was added by editors of the KJV: The first [epistle] to the Thessalonians was written from Athens.]]]

HeChangedMyName

the ministry of reconciliation

I think I get it but would you like to elaborate?

We are to seek and save that which is lost, proselytize the unsaved, preach the gospel

I agree, the only difference is that I would say that instead of to save, to lead to salvation. But the important part is to seek. We have to stay with our ear and heart to the Lord so that he can lead us to the places where people who need salvation are. He gave us the Holy Spirit because we believe, but those who don't believe yet are out there in the world defensless(sp) until they know who God is and come to him on their own, even if they need help getting there.

NGraceO

We are called as disciples of Christ to: Matthew 28:18-20 "The Great Commision"

18Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in[a] the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you.

The bolded is what i believe (in a nut shell) is what we ALL are called to do as disciples of Christ:)

chicacanella

Well, I was praying to God about two weeks ago about my purpose/calling, etc. I wasn't even in Isaiah but the holy spirit led me to Isaiah and then I was impressed the numbers 61 in my spirit so I turned to that and this is my calling.

A Christian lady told me that is what all Christians are to do.

chicacanella

Luk 4:18
The Spirit of the Lord [is] upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,
Luk 4:19 To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.
Luk 4:20 And he closed the book, and he gave [it] again to the minister, and sat down. And the eyes of all them that were in the synagogue were fastened on him.
Luk 4:21 And he began to say unto them, This day is this scripture fulfilled in your ears.

1Cr 1:17 For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.

OMG! Honey, how did I not even read this thread I posted the same thing you said! This is just like soooooo different for me. :look: The holy spirit gave me Isaiah 61 when I was praying about my purpose...mind you, I didn't even know what the scripture said in Isaiah but he led me to the book and impressed upon me the number 61. I looked it up and there was my answer.

I have to get used to the holy spirit just revealing things like this to me. I'm still kind of in shock...and it really didn't take a long time of seeking God for all these wonderful things to happen in my life. I've been doing it fervently for like maybe two months. Anyhow, God is good!:grin:

nik4jesus

Dont you just love when the Holy Spirit does that...It just put the exclamation point at the end of the GOD IS REAL! sentence.

discobiscuits

in Luke 4, Jesus was talking about himself & the fulfilling of prophesy.

in 1 Cor 1:17, Paul was talking about what he, Paul, was called to do, not all believers.

In the church that I am a member of, they teach us that all believers are called to the ministry of reconciliation==> 2 Cor. 5:11-21

Dove56

We are called to be salt and light in a dark world. It is wise to pray for the Lord to lead people to you (or lead you to others). Also, our day-to-day actions can be a witness to others of our love for the Lord. We can touch others with the smallest deeds. You can hold the doors for people, smile at folks and just be kind to people and send up a quick prayer for them. You may never fully realize the impact of your prayers this side of heaven, but the Lord most certaintly hears you! We can touch others by being obidient to Christ (this is hard sometimes) but honestly people don't want to hear what you say, until they see what you do! :yep:

I know the other day I was doing my makeup and I was thinking as Christians "our deeds should out perform our words". Of course, this is in keeping with the saying "actions speak louder than words" and it sounds cliche, but if you mediate on that there's so much you can extract from it.

We as Christians need to learn to do things in love. We may encounter people that are living contrary to our beliefs but we have to deal with them in love; not look down on anyone or condemn them to hell. I respect people and their decisions but I pray for them as well that they may fulfill the Lord's purpose on this earth. We are all here to prepare for eternity, the most profound prayer is to pray for the salvation of others. If the opportunity presents itself and the person is receptive, then we can tell them of the love of Jesus Christ and what he did for them. We can plant the seed and let the Holy Sprit cultivate it.

Pray everyday for an opportunity to touch another person positively. Remember the same Lord that forgets our sins (when we sincerely repent) remembers our kindness to others. A cup of cold water is priceless if your heart is right. The Lord will honor 2 pennies you give with a right heart more than 2 million with a wrong one. We worship a good (GREAT) God and He is watching!

chicacanella

We are called to be salt and light in a dark world. It is wise to pray for the Lord to lead people to you (or lead you to others). Also, our day-to-day actions can be a witness to others of our love for the Lord. We can touch others with the smallest deeds. You can hold the doors for people, smile at folks and just be kind to people and send up a quick prayer for them. You may never fully realize the impact of your prayers this side of heaven, but the Lord most certaintly hears you! We can touch others by being obidient to Christ (this is hard sometimes) but honestly people don't want to hear what you say, until they see what you do! :yep:

I know the other day I was doing my makeup and I was thinking as Christians "our deeds should out perform our words". Of course, this is in keeping with the saying "actions speak louder than words" and it sounds cliche, but if you mediate on that there's so much you can extract from it.

We as Christians need to learn to do things in love. We may encounter people that are living contrary to our beliefs but we have to deal with them in love; not look down on anyone or condemn them to hell. I respect people and their decisions but I pray for them as well that they may fulfill the Lord's purpose on this earth. We are all here to prepare for eternity, the most profound prayer is to pray for the salvation of others. If the opportunity presents itself and the person is receptive, then we can tell them of the love of Jesus Christ and what he did for them. We can plant the seed and let the Holy Sprit cultivate it.

Pray everyday for an opportunity to touch another person positively. Remember the same Lord that forgets our sins (when we sincerely repent) remembers our kindness to others. A cup of cold water is priceless if your heart is right. The Lord will honor 2 pennies you give with a right heart more than 2 million with a wrong one. We worship a good (GREAT) God and He is watching!

You are soooo right. My pastor always says, "People don't care how much you know, until they know how much you care."

:yep:

cocoberry10

This is a great thread, and I agree with everything that has been said. Obviously, we are also called to OBEY the LORD!

chicacanella

Oh man, can't believe I forgot this one. No, the holy spirit didn't personally lead me to this scritpure but the most important commandments are to love God with all your heart, mind, soul and strength. The second is to love your neighbor as you love yourself.:yep:

HeChangedMyName

We are also to forgive and not hold grudges.

Matthew 18
21Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times?

22Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven.

discobiscuits

some of the things listed are not callings or a calling but instructions or directives to be followed. a call/calling is not the same as a set of instructions.

chicacanella

some of the things listed are not callings or a calling but instructions or directives to be followed. a call/calling is not the same as a set of instructions.

I kind of get what you are saying. Like someone may have a calling on their life to be a pastor or a prophet. But in general, most Christians have instructions to do the same thing as a follower of Christ.

MrJohnsonsRib

I'm usually always in the hair section...the reason I joined but I never really looked to see what the whole site offers....there's some good stuff here.
Anyhoo. :) I will say that we are ALL called to love everyone, live in his image and to spread the gospel...how we do that is usually where some folks "spiritual" gifts may come in. I am still trying to find my "niche". I tried to join our praise dance team but it aint work out too well...I am beginning to think the Lord wants me to work on me before I jump out there unprepared.

honeyflaava

I'm usually always in the hair section...the reason I joined but I never really looked to see what the whole site offers....there's some good stuff here.
Anyhoo. :) I will say that we are ALL called to love everyone, live in his image and to spread the gospel...how we do that is usually where some folks "spiritual" gifts may come in. I am still trying to find my "niche". I tried to join our praise dance team but it aint work out too well...I am beginning to think the Lord wants me to work on me before I jump out there unprepared.

I can agree with this because I believe the Lord wants me to do the same.

HeChangedMyName

I just feel like God is moving some things here on the board and wanted to revisit this thread for more responses. There may be some people here who aren't saved yet and really don't know what makes Christians different from the World, other than the title. So, let's continue to discuss our purpose and calling.

PaperClip

Defenders of the faith.

And from the days of John the Baptist until the present time, the kingdom of heaven has endured violent assault, and violent men seize it by force [as a precious prize--a share in the heavenly kingdom is sought with most ardent zeal and intense exertion]. (Amplified)

topsyturvy86

We're called to be representatives of Christ here on earth : This is very broad and includes most things that have been said. We're also to allow God to express Himself through us; using our hands and feet to touch and positively influence the world around us.

Last edited:

hurricane

I think we get caught up in this calling thing. I'm called to teach, I'm called to prophesy, ect. We first must LOVE. The Apostle Paul taught us that the greatest gift is Love. Though I speak with the tongue of men and of angels and have not LOVE, I am nothing. Jesus said that we must love the Father with all our might, then one another.

This will allow you to teach, prophesy, evangelise, and other things.

Those who do it without LOVE will be condemed because of wrong motives. Wanting to be seen, money. But if they repent the Father will forgive.