Atlanta Ladies, APL and longer: In here, please...

Artemis

Hey y'all!!!

My friend in Cali goes to this great guy, and ALL of his clients have hair BSL and longer, and I just was thinking why can't I find a place like that in ATL? We have enough salons here...:scratchch Hmm...I don't think this would be too much to ask for. I am still looking for a stylist in Atlanta, but I just haven't found someone that really "clicks" with my goals and expectations.

So if you live in ATL and you go to a salon and there's more than a handful of ladies with HEALTHY LONG hair, can you please send me the salon info?? The "healthy hair" salons I've been to, I don't see many long hairs and it's discouraging because everyone's always trying to cut your hair into a cute trendy short style, which is cool if that's what you like but that's not me right now...

And yes, it is that serious for me...I'm not playing with this hair thing :look:

(Not a lot of folks post in the Salon forum, so I'm posting this here...)

Please PM me with the info if you don't want to post it here...:sekret:

Thanks in advance ladies. :D

Shaley

I would like to know this too... It is very hard trying to find salons that really care about your hair or care about keeping or maintaining long hair.

I've been to a few, tried a few, and I have not found that stylist yet. It seems there is always some issue, be it large or small..

I've been to several who 'claim' they are 'experienced' & specialize in 'healthy hair' but my past and recent appointments with them have proven otherwise :ohwell:

I normally do my own hair on a regular basis but seek a 'professional' for relaxing, trimming, or hair color services.. or just an occasional 'treat myself' day...

Looking forward to responses...

Southernbella.

The Jones' Hair Studio
786 Marietta St. NW, Ste. 201
Atlanta, GA 30318
Phone: (404) 230-9979

My hair was SEVERELY damaged. My stylist cut my hair from a see through SL to a Halle style cut, then got me back to a healthy SL before I came to LHCF. My best friend goes there now, and she's APL. Another friend goes there who's APL. My other best friend, who put me onto the salon, was BSL before she cut her hair. They use Aveda and Design Essentials, and they listen to their clients.

I stopped going because I found LHCF.

Last edited:

Lady Esquire

The Jones' Hair Studio
Atlanta, GA 30318

My hair was SEVERELY damaged. My stylist cut my hair from a see through SL to a Halle style cut, then got me back to a healthy SL before I came to LHCF. My best friend goes there now, and she's APL. Another friend goes there who's APL. My other best friend, who put me onto the salon, was BSL before she cut her hair. They use Aveda and Design Essentials, and they listen to their clients.

I'm not actively looking at the moment, but this is good info to have. Thanks Lauren.

Is there a particular stylist that who you recommend?

Off topic: your hair is growing so out so nicely. you look lovely, girl.

bluediamond0829

okay bumping...Lauren i would like to know this info also

i mean i think everyone looks for a good salon that they can go to that turns out healthy heads(IMO knw matter the length of hair bcuz i believe you can have nice healthy hair Halle Berry short down to BSL).

Hot40

The Jones' Hair Studio
Atlanta, GA 30318

Should we ask for your stylist?
If he or she is good, I will take the drive.

Artemis

Thanks Lauren :)

Another member mentioned Too Groovy as well. I will go over to the salon review forum and read all the posts about them. From the little I've read, there's some inconsistency--like only certain stylists on certain days. I dunno if I want to deal with that...

Artemis

Oh, and I figured eventually someone would say something about all lengths of hair being healthy, but I am requesting a salon where there's more than one head with long hair, because the "healthy hair" stylist I've been going to is an undercover SHS. It's really easily to keep hair "healthy" if you keep cutting stuff off :look: The one lady I saw with APL when I first came had a short inverted bob when I came back for my touch up. Sure it could've been a coincidence, but everyone I saw there had shorter "healthy looking" hair than the last time :nono: Again, not what I'm looking for.

If a stylist has a clientele of long hairs that have been going to them for a while, and been growing their hair out with them, that tells me that the stylist is more likely to respect my wishes rather than doing what they wanna do w/my head.

Also, I'm noticing that these kind of places have clientele that have been going for a while, and [the clients] are a little older and less trendy...

Last edited:

mango387

Oh, and I figured eventually someone would say something about all lengths of hair being healthy, but I am requesting a salon where there's more than one head with long hair, because the "healthy hair" stylist I've been going to is an undercover SHS. It's really easily to keep hair "healthy" if you keep cutting stuff off :look: The one lady I saw with APL when I first came had a short inverted bob when I came back for my touch up. Sure it could've been a coincidence, but everyone I saw there had shorter "healthy looking" hair than the last time :nono: Again, not what I'm looking for.

If a stylist has a clientele of long hairs that have been going to them for a while, and been growing their hair out with them, that tells me that the stylist is more likely to respect my wishes rather than doing what they wanna do w/my head.

Also, I'm noticing that these kind of places have clientele that have been going for a while, and [the clients] are a little older and less trendy...

Nseya used to be the "it" place for a lot of the Spelman ladies with longer hair, but I heard it closed/reopened/moved/has drama. (Nseya stylists would even come to the school and do demonstrations occasionally). Anyway, I am not sure what to tell you now.

CaliJen

Can you please tell me where in Cali? I am looking for a stylist who has healthy hair as a priority. Always on look out especially for someone who has healthy hair practices. Thanks!:grin::grin:

Artemis

Nseya used to be the "it" place for a lot of the Spelman ladies with longer hair, but I heard it closed/reopened/moved/has drama. (Nseya stylists would even come to the school and do demonstrations occasionally). Anyway, I am not sure what to tell you now.

I hear ya! No one could pay me to step into that kind of drama :nono:

Artemis

Artemis

Can you please tell me where in Cali? I am looking for a stylist who has healthy hair as a priority. Always on look out especially for someone who has healthy hair practices. Thanks!:grin::grin:

Do a search in the Salon Review forum for Follicles, and the address/contact info is there. It is located in the Bay area. My friend is super excited she found him (Devon) because when she told me about his practices and ideology, I screamed at her "OMG, you have to go!!" She's very pleased so far. I asked her yesterday to ask if he had any colleagues like him who live in the Atlanta area, so I'm waiting to hear back.

Southernbella.

I'm not actively looking at the moment, but this is good info to have. Thanks Lauren.

Is there a particular stylist that who you recommend?

Off topic: your hair is growing so out so nicely. you look lovely, girl.

Thank you!:grin:

Should we ask for your stylist?
If he or she is good, I will take the drive.

I used to go to Regina. She was really, really good. I also saw Brenda sometimes, and she was just as good. Clint, the owner, is also good, but not as good as the two women. I know Regina is still there...not sure about Brenda or who else is working there now. I wasn't actively growing my hair when I was going to Regina, but my bf who sees her now is trying to get to BSL, and her hair is growing like a weed. She told Regina she wants to grow it out, and Regina's been working with her on that.:yep:

Shaley

My cousin and her best friend went to Nseya.. needless to say, neither one of them go there anymore...They said it was major drama - all the time.

cmw45

My cousin and her best friend went to Nseya.. needless to say, neither one of them go there anymore...They said it was major drama - all the time.

Dag...one of my Sorors is a Spellmanite and recommended this place.

Lady Esquire

Thank you!:grin:

I used to go to Regina. She was really, really good. I also saw Brenda sometimes, and she was just as good. Clint, the owner, is also good, but not as good as the two women. I know Regina is still there...not sure about Brenda or who else is working there now. I wasn't actively growing my hair when I was going to Regina, but my bf who sees her now is trying to get to BSL, and her hair is growing like a weed. She told Regina she wants to grow it out, and Regina's been working with her on that.:yep:

Thanks. She sounds like my stylist back in Miami, she listens. Like I said, I'm not looking right now, 'cause I am doing fine on my DIY kick. But its always nice to have someone. I do know that when I return back to work, I will want to have a person I can see and trust occassionally.

Barbara

Princess

MR2 Hair & Nail Salon

For those of you who are interested in finding a good hair stylist in Los Angeles, I highly recommend Rudy of MR 2 Hair and Nail Salon, located at 3852 Crenshaw Boulevard (two blocks north of King Boulevard on the east side of the street--across from Angelus Mortuary). His phone numbers are (323) 294-1712 and (323) 292-7714.

I've been going to him since 1990, and I highly recommend him for the following reasons: He is not a "scissor-happy stylist;" (you will reach your hair goals); his customers have been with him for a very long time, and their hair is healthier and longer than other stylist's customers; he won't tear your hair out while handling it; he doesn't press the hair "bone straight" to the point where there's no body; he's moderately priced; and he allows you to bring in your own hair care products. Let him know in advance if you want to continue to use your staples.

He offers tips that are beneficial for your hair. In addition, he's very mild tempered and patient. So for those of you who are fed up with your "scissor-happy stylist," try Rudy.

diligence

MR2 Hair & Nail Salon

For those of you who are interested in finding a good hair stylist in Los Angeles, I highly recommend Rudy of MR 2 Hair and Nail Salon, located at 3852 Crenshaw Boulevard (two blocks north of King Boulevard on the east side of the street--across from Angelus Mortuary). His phone numbers are (323) 294-1712 and (323) 292-7714.

I've been going to him since 1990, and I highly recommend him for the following reasons: He is not a "scissor-happy stylist;" (you will reach your hair goals); his customers have been with him for a very long time, and their hair is healthier and longer than other stylist's customers; he won't tear your hair out while handling it; he doesn't press the hair "bone straight" to the point where there's no body; he's moderately priced; and he allows you to bring in your own hair care products. Let him know in advance if you want to continue to use your staples.

He offers tips that are beneficial for your hair. In addition, he's very mild tempered and patient. So for those of you who are fed up with your "scissor-happy stylist," try Rudy.

Thanks for posting this info. How is he with time management? Does he overbook and have you in there all day?

Barbara

Princess
Thanks for posting this info. How is he with time management? Does he overbook and have you in there all day?

Rudy's shop is not overcrowded. He starts early on Saturdays at 7:00 a.m. I don't know what it's like during the week; but for those customers who don't work, it would be better if they came during the week instead of Saturdays.

He is the owner of the salon. He works from Tuesday through Saturday. His hours vary depending on how many customers he has (sometimes he begins @ 8:00 a.m. or 9:00 a.m. on Wednesdays through Fridays) but every Tuesday, he starts work at 1:00 p.m.

You can take a photo in of how you want your hair to look, or you can look at a sample of his work by viewing my photos posted at www.hairoil.com. Click under "Testimonials and Before and After." I'm Barbara from Beverly Hills.

zzirvingj

I recommend trying Enchantra @ Too Groovy :yep:

ETA...oops I didn't see the first time that you're relaxed...is that correct? I don't think they do relaxers there. Maybe post in the Too Groovy thread in the Salon section and see if it would be feasible to get a wash/style...? I dunno...

Last edited:

bluediamond0829

I think Nseya had its bad and good stylist just like any other place i got foold and fell in with the hype because i didnt see any miracle work being done when i was going there. If anything i got sick of going to the one stylist because my short hairstyle always came out being styled and curled the same way by her everytime i would go to her. So i switched and went to the one at the time that was in Midtown the lady was cool she had grew her short hair out too but man they were money hungry and i couldnt keep affording those high prices and it wasnt like my hair was growing or they were working miracles and i was going to my first stylist the first time almost every week. But i would see some nice heads come out of there too of ladies with there own hair.

Shaley

I think Nseya had its bad and good stylist just like any other place i got foold and fell in with the hype because i didnt see any miracle work being done when i was going there. If anything i got sick of going to the one stylist because my short hairstyle always came out being styled and curled the same way by her everytime i would go to her. So i switched and went to the one at the time that was in Midtown the lady was cool she had grew her short hair out too but man they were money hungry and i couldnt keep affording those high prices and it wasnt like my hair was growing or they were working miracles and i was going to my first stylist the first time almost every week. But i would see some nice heads come out of there too of ladies with there own hair.

They both did say that there were always nice-haired or nice styles coming out of Nseya.. Everytime my cousin went to Nseya, her hair would be on point.
I think their major complaints were overbooking, stylist attitudes & overall friendliness...plus the overcrowdiness and not getting that "special attention."

Hot40

They both did say that there were always nice-haired or nice styles coming out of Nseya.. Everytime my cousin went to Nseya, her hair would be on point.
I think their major complaints were overbooking, stylist attitudes & overall friendliness...plus the overcrowdiness and not getting that "special attention."

I was a Nseya client for years when I moved here in 2000
but my stylist had a bad attitude not friendly
Appears you have to be a celebrity to get Grade A treatmetn.
I heard they are in a small house type shop now and it his bad:perplexed
Not worth the drama or the money now. :yep: