Attention Henrilou and all those who press!

garr6982

My mom is going to press my hair for the first time since May, 2002! (I can't believe it! I went this long, wash and go with natural 4a/b hair) /images/graemlins/grin.gif!

What is a good pressing aid that won't leave my hair gummy, sticky, and overly greasy?

When I was in high school, I washed and conditioned my hair with "Breck", re-applied the conditioner, braided my hair, and pressed it! The results were fantastic! Before I do the conditioner "thing" I would like to poll to see what others are using.

Thanks for your help!

I think you will be starting out well with the braid set first. I personally don't care to blow dry with a comb attachment first, because with the pressing afterwards, that is just too much heat and manipulation. I think it would be best to avoid that. However, many people like to braid or roller set, then let air dry or gently dry under a hood, so that some of the curl is straightened out ahead of time.

I think it is best not to use products with petroleum in it or wax. The chances are high that your hair will get gummy sticky or overly greasy with these, although, some on the board use these products successfully.

I make my own mixture of shea butter and mostly EVOO and some castor oil, though when I touch it up I use just EVOO. Kemi-oil is nice for pressing too.

As far as product application, I apply whatever oil product I use all over my head first, then sparingly section by section. If I don't need much at all, I just spray some oil sheen on each section. I flat iron each section, then press, then flat iron again with a little bit of a silicone product like Fantasia hair polisher.

It is a great idea to use a type of conditioning product in it ahead of time, as a thermal protectant or with one. I like leaving in Terax, even though there are no specific thermal protectants in it.

WHen I do flat iron, I just use oil sheen spray or a little WGO. But I stay away from the grease. It's just too heavy.

the just for me pressing creme is all right(it has the orange top on it) my family uses that, also it dosent leave you hair greasy. Oh Dudleys Pressing Creme works good too, it also dosent leave your hair greasy

I would highly recommend that you wash your hair, then apply Wildgrowth Oil mixed with a nice "smoothing" product. When my hair was natural, I liked Salon Selectives Loosely Defined which gave nice shine and smoothness to natural hair. (This product is discontinued, but Suave makes a similar product under the "Rave" brand name which is marketed as a curl definer or something like that.)

Braid your hair, dry it in your bonnet dryer or overnight then after your hair is cool you can press it. I don't use pressing combs, I used to "press" with a curling iron, but if you need more oil, just use more Wildgrowth Oil. I found that using WGO made my hair EXTREMELY straight and smooth.

Hi garr6982,

That is wonderful that you are just now pressing your hair! /images/graemlins/grin.gif There are several things I use on my hair:

Beverly Johnson's Oil for the Hair
Nexxus Botanic Oil
Dudley's Cream Press. Use sparingly

You know they brought Brek back out again. I saw the origional formula at Walmart.

Thanks so much!

What is EVOO? I am familiar with shea butter (I think I need to plant my own tree since I use it for everything /images/graemlins/laugh.gif) so I may try using that. I like the idea of using the hair polisher!

Great tips, Thanks again!

Great tip about braiding over night!

I will need that much time just to dry it out! I'll also try to find that product by Rave since I'm a big Suave fan!

Thanks for your help!

Thanks!

I tried to wait until Christmas but I'm anxious to see the growth!

I will be at Walmart tonight looking for Breck /images/graemlins/wink.gif!

Thanks!

EVOO=Extra Virgin Olive Oil

I always use this over regular olive oil, as I find the feel and results are very different.

About the shea butter, here is more info. I don't use it straight, again I melt it down with lots of EVOO. I don't put the shea butter mixture on my wet hair, because of the coldness of it, it makes the shea butter sit on top, and look gummy. I do work a good amount of EVOO on my wet hair, then put in ponytails or braids, then dry overnight. When it is dry, I take the shea butter mix, melt it down by rubbing it in my hands, then apply it all over my dry head in large sections. Then I re-apply it if I need to when I press the smaller sections, but mostly I use a light oil sheen when I actually press it, then on the last flat-iron I add the hair polisher.

When I apply my products in this manner, I am able to put just the right amount in, and keep from using them excessively.

I find that my pressed hair can dry out very fast, since I can't put moisture in my press. I constantly keep it lubricated with oil sheen or heavier oils. I usually spray it twice a day, and put a heavier oil on my ends at night.

When I am done pressing, it looks just like a fresh perm, but with lots of body.

I don't use any oils made specifically for pressing. I do apply a small amount of extra virgin olive oil to my wet hair after washing/conditioning. This helps reduce the greasies. I reapply the evoo to my hair as needed.

Boy am I goofy!

I use EVOO all the time and could not put it together!

Thanks for the info! I'm getting excited about getting my hair pressed!

Back