ATTENTION!!! maintaining naturally braided hair

Nanyanika

Does anyone braid their natural hair? /images/graemlins/confused.gif I keep my hair braided four weeks at time; what techniques can be applied in washing natural braids, in order to maintain the style without having undo and redo the style over again?

LondonDiva

Den

My hair is relaxed but at the moment I wear it in individual braids without extensions and by far prefer this style, as my hair feels more free and lighter, plus i can go that extra bit longer without worrying about a touchup.

I've had them in since Nov 3rd and they are holding up pretty well. I wash my hair with them in about x2 a week and always make sure the ends are moisturised especially if they start to unravel.

I wash my hair in the shower with my head back letting the water run through my hair and scalp for a few minutes first of all.

I shampoo the scalp firstly a few times more than I would usually if my hair was out to make sure all of the sweat/product is removed. One way for me to test that it is is lighty scratch my scalp after rinsing out the shampoo and if there is any product under my nails or anything then I know to shampoo again. I lighty shampoo the rest of my hair but sometimes it's not necessary as the shampoo runs down the hair.

I then keep my head back under the running water of the shower until all of the shampoo is rinsed out. I then follow with Aphogee Balancing moisturiser (no particular reason- just want to finish up some left over products) and saturate my hair with that. Leave it in for about 5 mins whilst singing in the shower and then rinse that out also. Surprisingly enough the Aphogee contains both petroleum and mineral oil but I find is really moisturising with my braids more so than when my hair is out that I might use this again for this particular style.

I then squeeze the water out of my braids and then scrunch dry with a towel. I will either put in Care Free Gold Activator on my hair only or Africa's Best leave in liquid hair mayonnaise this stuff is reall slippery and excellent for my ends.

Now one of 2 things I've tried I really like when going out. Whilst damp I will braid the braid in about 8-10 sections and either let it dry overnight or use a soft bonnet dryer undo and it's all crinkly and nice looking. Or I will set the braids on bendy rollers and sit on a low heat under a hood dryer then take out and have loads of shirley temple curls which I finger comb out and add oil sheen too.

One my hair is dry I will then add WGO to the scalp and a little fertilizer balm to the temple and kitchen area, or some non alcoholic gel to the hairline to neaten it up.

I find having to wash it again or redo the braid out or curl set with a little oil sheen can keep the style fresher for longer.

Hope that helps /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Integrity

diva, where on earth is the kitchen area??? some of us are nubies... /images/graemlins/wink.gif plus do you do your touch-ups at home at all?

Integrity

Q FOR LONDONDIVA

i was browsing through the archive and saw your post about the place u shop at in finsbury park called PAC COSMETIC CENTRE. please give me their address so i can pop over there when i am in london. are the prices reasonable??

LondonDiva

The kitchen area is the nape of the hair. Right at the bottom. It has a tendancy on some people's hair to be shorter than the rest of the hair.

LondonDiva

Re: Q FOR LONDONDIVA

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
i was browsing through the archive and saw your post about the place u shop at in finsbury park called PAC COSMETIC CENTRE. please give me their address so i can pop over there when i am in london. are the prices reasonable??

[/ QUOTE ]

Pak Cosmetic Centre
(hair &amp; skin products wigs etc)
25-27 Stroud Green Road, Finsbury Park London N4
Tel: 0207 263 2088 Fax:0207 2637902.

Pandora, yes their prices are very good. This place has EVERYTHING in it and is the only place I've managed to find the Affirm Lye in the 5lb for £19.99 It's worth the visit, but be strong cause you will be tempted to buy more that you need.