Aveda "Be Curly" Line for Relaxed Hair...

SkeeWeeTPie

I just broke the bank for Aveda's DR line, but it's worth every cent! I was wondering if the Be Curly line creates defined curls in relaxed hair. If so, I may have to give that I try...

glamazon386

Probably not. Do you mean curls as in "wash and go" type curls? Is your hair relaxed bone straight? Is it curly when it's wet? If your hair is relaxed straight, more than likely it's going to be hard to get curls let alone waves. You might have to do a twist out or something to get that look. There's plenty of other products out there you can use for a twist out or something. I wouldn't waste my money.

GoingNatural

bmoreflyygirl said:
Probably not. Do you mean curls as in "wash and go" type curls? Is your hair relaxed bone straight? Is it curly when it's wet? If your hair is relaxed straight, more than likely it's going to be hard to get curls let alone waves. You might have to do a twist out or something to get that look. There's plenty of other products out there you can use for a twist out or something. I wouldn't waste my money.

She's right.

I was relaxed bone straight and my coworker had gorgeous curls so i asked her what she used and she said Aveda's Be Curly. So I instantly bought it and to make a long story straight it made no difference in my hair. I still had the barely there wave.

Now that I have curly hair Aveda Be Curly still doesn't do much for me..I guess it reduces frizz :confused: . It just doesn't do much more than my other leave-in conditioner's for the price it asks for.

glamazon386

GoingNatural said:
She's right.

I was relaxed bone straight and my coworker had gorgeous curls so i asked her what she used and she said Aveda's Be Curly. So I instantly bought it and to make a long story straight it made no difference in my hair. I still had the barely there wave.

Now that I have curly hair Aveda Be Curly still doesn't do much for me..I guess it reduces frizz
:confused: . It just doesn't do much more than my other leave-in conditioner's for the price it asks for.

That's what I figured. That's why I haven't tried it yet. And I don't think I will.

GoingNatural

RabiaElaine said:
I wonder how it would work on texlaxed hair...

From my personal experience--others can chime in--it won't boost your current curl or wave pattern, whatever that may be.

glamazon386

GoingNatural said:
From my personal experience--others can chime in--it won't boost your current curl or wave pattern, whatever that may be.

GoingNatural, what do you use on your curls? They always look good in your pictures. Have you tried the Be Curly on your hair since you chopped?

In response to the bolded - I think that's with most products that are supposed to "enhance curls" though. IDK why people think that bc it says it's a curl product it's going to make curls magically appear in your hair if they weren't there before. Nothing really makes my curls look better. My hair always looks it's best when it's fully moisturized. That's either when it's soaking wet or full of conditioner (on dry hair). I only really use product to cut down frizz and shrinkage. In a sense I'm trying to make stay the way it looks wet when it's completely dry. I never get rid of all the shrinkage though. I haven't quite found that right product yet so I'm still experimenting.

Rabia, you might be better off just trying a good leave in, maybe a gel. And then scrunching. When I was relaxed, if I scrunched my hair when it was wet I would get waves (never curls) and it looked cute. But by the time it was dry it just looked like a frizzy wavy mess. I never found the right combo of products to keep it looking like it did when it was wet. There's pictures in my relaxed folder in my fotki.

But if you try the BeCurly and don't like it, you can always take it back so that's good. :)

RabiaElaine

bmoreflyygirl said:
GoingNatural, what do you use on your curls? They always look good in your pictures. Have you tried the Be Curly on your hair since you chopped?

In response to the bolded - I think that's with most products that are supposed to "enhance curls" though. IDK why people think that bc it says it's a curl product it's going to make curls magically appear in your hair if they weren't there before. Nothing really makes my curls look better. My hair always looks it's best when it's fully moisturized. That's either when it's soaking wet or full of conditioner (on dry hair). I only really use product to cut down frizz and shrinkage. In a sense I'm trying to make stay the way it looks wet when it's completely dry. I never get rid of all the shrinkage though. I haven't quite found that right product yet so I'm still experimenting.

Rabia, you might be better off just trying a good leave in, maybe a gel. And then scrunching. When I was relaxed, if I scrunched my hair when it was wet I would get waves (never curls) and it looked cute. But by the time it was dry it just looked like a frizzy wavy mess. I never found the right combo of products to keep it looking like it did when it was wet. There's pictures in my relaxed folder in my fotki.

But if you try the BeCurly and don't like it, you can always take it back so that's good. :)

True! Thanks Bmore!

GoingNatural

bmoreflyygirl said:

I tried Be Curly a couple of months ago because an intern gave it to me for free and I was excited to use it, but when I did I was like is that all? Not sure wha t I expected.

I use either Giovanni Direct Leave-in or Jamaican Mango & Lime Mango and Shea Butter Lotion. I get virtually no frizz and my hair looks moisturized. And Be Curly basically does the same thing as those 2 products. So I guess it works, but it doesn't do anything special for the price and I don't find it to be that great of a moisturizer.

Oh! and my new find is aloe vera gel used lightly when i do ponytails, it really adds shine and is the end all of any frizz. I haven't tried it with my hair out though.

Ditto to the purple. I learned that the EXPENSIVE way when I was relaxed. I bought so many "magical potions" Ouidad, Be Curly and other brands that are supposed to enhance curls or promise to turn waves into curls. Never works.

I used to scrunch scrunch scrunch my relaxed hair like crazy while it had product in it and use a light blow dryer to help it dry. Like you said, cute when wet, but when it dried i hade a bird's nest. Of course from LHCF i've learned manipulation adds to frizz. So regardless of how good my hair looked wet by the time it dried the frizz would appear because i messed with my hair so much when it

glamazon386

GoingNatural said:
I tried Be Curly a couple of months ago because an intern gave it to me for free and I was excited to use it, but when I did I was like is that all? Not sure wha t I expected.

I use either Giovanni Direct Leave-in or Jamaican Mango & Lime Mango and Shea Butter Lotion. I get virtually no frizz and my hair looks moisturized. And Be Curly basically does the same thing as those 2 products. So I guess it works, but it doesn't do anything special for the price and I don't find it to be that great of a moisturizer.

Oh! and my new find is aloe vera gel used lightly when i do ponytails, it really adds shine and is the end all of any frizz. I haven't tried it with my hair out though.

Ditto to the purple. I learned that the EXPENSIVE way when I was relaxed. I bought so many "magical potions" Ouidad, Be Curly and other brands that are supposed to enhance curls or promise to turn waves into curls. Never works.

I used to scrunch scrunch scrunch my relaxed hair like crazy while it had product in it and use a light blow dryer to help it dry. Like you said, cute when wet, but when it dried i hade a bird's nest. Of course from LHCF i've learned manipulation adds to frizz. So regardless of how good my hair looked wet by the time it dried the frizz would appear because i messed with my hair so much when it

Hmmm... I have the giovanni direct leave in and I like it. I'll have to try that Jamaican Lime stuff too. Thanks for the info. :)

honeybadgirl

bmoreflyygirl said:

i agree. thats one aveda product that i tried and wasnt impressed. i think it did tame the frizzies like someone stated but it didnt really ehance my curls. i dont need to buy it again:(

mkstar826

supersonic
GoingNatural said:
Now that I have curly hair Aveda Be Curly still doesn't do much for me..I guess it reduces frizz :confused: . .

doesn't do a thing for curl enhancement or frizz...but i don't use it for that anyway...i use it as a moisturizer/leave-in with great results :yep:

Soliel185

bmoreflyygirl said:

I've used sunsilk leave in - in the green or blue bottle - and drench my hair in it - then sealed that with a dose of serum - heavy on the ends. You can use just about any kind of serum. I read once that the only time you have complete control over frizz, is when your hair is soaking wet in the shower, and it's true. I would separate my hair into four sections and treat with both products. It made very nice waves in my relaxed hair, and by the second day I have a lot of volume too. 'it's important though not to move the hair much while it's drying b/c until it's at least 80% dry, movement will cause frizz. HTH