AVEDA HAIR COLOR - NATURALS that go to the salon for color - PLEASE HELP ME OUT!

kurlybella

i can't take it anymore ya'll!! :nono: :wallbash:

i'm going to get my hair colored. :yep:

i've searched the threads, but there has not been one specifically noted just for aveda that goes into depth.

my hair is very dull. color wise it's a 1b (weavespeak) and just too dull for me.

last weekend i henna'd my hair. it didn't do anything in terms of color for me. it took only in the front part of my head that has always been an ashy brown since i was a kid - and the lightest part of my head.

i'm like a crack head waiting for a hit and that hit is color!! :lick:
i love this color from our member jentel: http://public.fotki.com/jenteel/texturesntones/textureshot6208.html
i was going to hit her up, because she goes to aveda, but her last activity on this board was november of last year.

i want it to be successful. so, to avoid a color disaster at home and a frantic post on this board asking for help to remove green from my hair, i just made an appt at aveda for next weekend.

the receptionist asked if i wanted a cut and blowout. i told her no. i'm not straightening my hair until june so as much as i'm tempted to do the whole shebang, i ain't doing it. she did tell me i could leave with wet/damp hair. yay! that's great since my hair drys naturally this way anyway.

i don't know if' i'm going to do my entire head one color. i'm thinking maybe just the front one color (either a brownish red or a redder red like jenteel) and the back a black or dark brown to add more shine to it.

two tone example -- (see b's curly look)
beyonce_400x300.jpg

this is one of my fav hair pics hands down! :lick:
harrietsalterego08.jpg

foxy over at naturally curly (public pics)
DSC01236.jpg

anyway, for those of you who have been to aveda, please help a sista out. i want to get color and it be successful!!

i'm thinking of telling the stylist "how" to wash my hair since i'm 4a/b. i don't want her mushing my hair all around. my hair would get up and walk out of the salon if treated like that! :nono: it would turn straight rasha and walk out in one big loc. it's already one knot away from rolling up a black and mild and cheifing on some ganja and reading the book of revelations, so imma make sure i don't get smooshed washed hair.

i need some tips and advice.

1. what's your hair texture?
  2. how long have you been going to aveda?
  3. how much did it cost you?
  4. what color do you use?
  5. perm or semi perm?
  6. do you normally get a blowout with your color?
  7. have you ever left the salon wet?
  8. shampoo dries my hair out something serious, can i take my own cleansing cream to the salon for the stylist to use?
  9. how do you maintain your color?
  10. how do you prevent breakage?
  11. any additional tips and advice?

Last edited:
i can't take it anymore ya'll!! :nono: :wallbash:

i'm going to get my hair colored. :yep:

i've searched the threads, but there has not been one specifically noted just for aveda that goes into depth.

my hair is very dull. color wise it's a 1b (weavespeak) and just too dull for me.

last weekend i henna'd my hair. it didn't do anything in terms of color for me. it took only in the front part of my head that has always been an ashy brown since i was a kid - and the lightest part of my head.

i'm like a crack head waiting for a hit and that hit is color!! :lick:
i love this color from our member jentel: http://public.fotki.com/jenteel/texturesntones/textureshot6208.html
i was going to hit her up, because she goes to aveda, but her last activity on this board was november of last year.

i want it to be successful. so, to avoid a color disaster at home and a frantic post on this board asking for help to remove green from my hair, i just made an appt at aveda for next weekend.

the receptionist asked if i wanted a cut and blowout. i told her no. i'm not straightening my hair until june so as much as i'm tempted to do the whole shebang, i ain't doing it. she did tell me i could leave with wet/damp hair. yay! that's great since my hair drys naturally this way anyway.

i don't know if' i'm going to do my entire head one color. i'm thinking maybe just the front one color (either a brownish red or a redder red like jenteel) and the back a black or dark brown to add more shine to it.

two tone example -- (see b's curly look)
beyonce_400x300.jpg

this is one of my fav hair pics hands down! :lick:
harrietsalterego08.jpg

foxy over at naturally curly (public pics)
DSC01236.jpg

anyway, for those of you who have been to aveda, please help a sista out. i want to get color and it be successful!!

i'm thinking of telling the stylist "how" to wash my hair since i'm 4a/b. i don't want her mushing my hair all around. my hair would get up and walk out of the salon if treated like that! :nono: it would go from aa to rasha and walk out in one big loc. it's already one knot away from rolling up a black and mild and cheifing on some ganja and reading the book of revelations, so imma make sure i don't get smooshed washed hair.

i need some tips and advice.

1. what's your hair texture?
  2. how long have you been going to aveda?
  3. how much did it cost you?
  4. what color do you use?
  5. perm or semi perm?
  6. do you normally get a blowout with your color?
  7. have you ever left the salon wet?
  8. shampoo dries my hair out something serious, can i take my own cleansing cream to the salon for the stylist to use?
  9. how do you maintain your color?
  10. how do you prevent breakage?
  11. any additional tips and advice?

1) 4a/b
2) A few times for a blow out the first time for my hair color
3)I can't remember exactly how much I paid but it was over $100.00
4)Honey Brown mixture, she had to use multiple colors for what I wanted and unfortunately resulted in me paying such a high price because she charged for each bottles she used =-( It was about 2-3 bottles she used
5) Permanent color
6) I only colored my hair that one time 6/08 and I did get a blow out and flat iron.
7) I've never left the salon wet
8) I'm sure you can bring in your own stuff, I don't see why not.
9) I don't do anything in particular to maintain my color. I just wash weekly, but now that I've been going to another aveda/dominican salon more frequently for blow outs I haven't washed it on my own.
10) I haven't experienced any breakage and again I haven't done anything in particular. I find that for me less manipulation I do the better it is for my hair.
11) I had a great experience with my hair color and still I get comments about how good it looks...*Unfortunately I can't send you pictures, I don't have my computer for a few weeks*... I had a great experience and have had no problems with my hair since coloring it, no drying, breakage, reverting, etc.

As a result of my experience I'm planning to go back and get highlights this summer.

I've never gone to an Aveda salon for color but I am transitioning and plan on getting highlights, along with a mini-chop, probably in the next few weeks. I would like to read some more reviews from naturals as well who have have color.

Kurlybella, I can't wait to see your pics!

BB

yep i went. since my siggy will change soon, i'll post the pics here (that are in my siggy)

i have sooo much new growth since this color in feb. i won't color again until summer next year.

hair+type.jpg

06122009.jpg

Looks good, KB! :up: A very warm brown. Did it turn out just how you like? How was the process? More pics please! :grin:

My trusted salon is an aveda certified salon:scratchch but I'm always ascurred of color:perplexed, but I love the fact that its over 95% natural! I'm really feenin for some nice color:lick:

Heres what I love about my salon, I went in last december saying how I wanted the works I wanted color I wanted, this, that, and the other and they told me straight up I needed about three months of hardcore moisture DC's before I was ready for that, but they'd be more then glad to give me a wash, flat iron (with the Aveda line) and trim:yep: *sighs* this is why I'm forever faithful to them:infatuated:

Imma ask them again tho:hide::giggle:

I can ALWAYS trust them to give it to me straight:yep:

My trusted salon is an aveda certified salon:scratchch but I'm always ascurred of color:perplexed, but I love the fact that its over 95% natural! I'm really feenin for some nice color:lick:

Heres what I love about my salon, I went in last december saying how I wanted the works I wanted color I wanted, this, that, and the other and they told me straight up I needed about three months of hardcore moisture DC's before I was ready for that, but they'd be more then glad to give me a wash, flat iron (with the Aveda line) and trim:yep: *sighs* this is why I'm forever faithful to them:infatuated:

Imma ask them again tho:hide::giggle:

I can ALWAYS trust them to give it to me straight:yep:

I noticed that you are in the NYC area, where is your salon? Whats the name? I haven't found a salon that is into hair care AND styling. Please hook a sistah up. ( i am also transitioning, next week is a year, and I plan to BC in May or june- can they cut there as well? thanks)

I noticed that you are in the NYC area, where is your salon? Whats the name? I haven't found a salon that is into hair care AND styling. Please hook a sistah up. ( i am also transitioning, next week is a year, and I plan to BC in May or june- can they cut there as well? thanks)
Ditto!!!!

I just BC'd and would love to find a great salon for natural hair. I'm in jersey but I wouldn't think twice about driving to NY to get my hair done. :yep:

Hello!!!!!!!!!

What's your hair texture? 4a/4b sparse strands of 3c throughout the hair. Hair strands very fine.

How long have you been going to aveda? One year

how much did it cost you? $130.00

what color do you use? Colour #5

perm or semi perm? Perm

Do you normally get a blowout with your color? No, I leave the salon wet. In the Aveda salon's bathroom I put on a plastic cap and then my hat.

Have you ever left the salon wet? Yes.

Shampoo dries my hair out something serious, can i take my own cleansing cream to the salon for the stylist to use? Aveda has the best products for dry textured hair so I don't think you need to do that. They might not also want to take responsibility for what might happen when another product is used to shampoo out their product.

How do you maintain your color? Nothing.

How do you prevent breakage? Just keep hair moisturised. Use a good conditioner.

Any additional tips and advice? While I love, love my Aveda colour I am thinking of growing it out because as it gets longer I do not like to wash my hair in the sink because it gets too many tangles and I can't ask the salon to braid my hair before shampoo and conditioner to prevent the tangles.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Ditto!!!!

I just BC'd and would love to find a great salon for natural hair. I'm in jersey but I wouldn't think twice about driving to NY to get my hair done. :yep:
Hey guys! If you bear with me, I'm going to be featuring them on my blog *very* soon:yep:

Hi!

I recently got a color job that I am NOT happy with and would love to go to Aveda to have it corrected. Did you ever discuss the salon on your blog?

I will only get rinses now and no more hair colour.

I don't know what happened maybe it was the treatment they used on my hair or that they couldn't detangle my hair properly with the colour after my hair was shampooed. As my hair grew longer, I would get a lot of breakage after each trip and I would get my hair coloured every 8 months.

Best,
Amond Eyes

Back