***AYURVEDA WARNING***Shikai-Co Wash

Okay I use the teas and allow the shikkaki/amla tea to sit on my hair for 2 minutes, dc, air dry with my hair pinned up in the back. I noticed that my hair has started thinning in the area where I french roll and pin my hair. Do you think the tea rinses are stronger than the co-wash?

I tea rinse using candy c's method about 2 to 3 times a week. Love the method but hate the hair thinning. Maybe I should concentrate more on the scalp and less on the hair. Need a little help. Thanks.

Or could it be the protective styling?

i'm sorry your hair is thinning...it sounds like you are pinning with your hair wet, yes? i would definitely refrain from doing that. pinning wet hair (and pinning hair period imo) is just asking for breakage and excessive pulling, if you ask me.

can you put your hair up some other way?

and to answer you question about the teas...i've never used them, so i really don't know if they are more potent or not. it doesn't seem as if they would be, but i am not for sure.

good luck, hun and i hope i've helped!

girl, you know i am still using it! i don't think i will ever give it up :nono:

I stopped but I'm going to start back on it soon. My last batch was made in a 36 oz container and I kept it in my truck. I don't have a refrigerator so I didn't know if the product was going to go "bad" because I couldn't keep it cool. I like the mix, it made my hair much stronger.:yep: I'm not sure if I should make a smaller batch next time or buy a small cooler to store my mix. Do you think I need to refrigerate the mix or will it be okay in the truck as is? How often do you use it? I'm away from home 4-5 days a week but I want to use it more than just on the weekends.

I stopped but I'm going to start back on it soon. My last batch was made in a 36 oz container and I kept it in my truck. I don't have a refrigerator so I didn't know if the product was going to go "bad" because I couldn't keep it cool. I like the mix, it made my hair much stronger.:yep: I'm not sure if I should make a smaller batch next time or buy a small cooler to store my mix. Do you think I need to refrigerate the mix or will it be okay in the truck as is? How often do you use it? I'm away from home 4-5 days a week but I want to use it more than just on the weekends.

naw, i wouldn't leave it in the truck...make a smaller batch :yep:

i use it 5 days per week (usually)

and i do not refrigerate it. i leave it in my shower.

what kind of work do you do? (i know OT, but it IS my thread isn't it :lol:)

ETA: i see that you are a truck driver

Last edited:
naw, i wouldn't leave it in the truck...make a smaller batch :yep:

i use it 5 days per week (usually)

and i do not refrigerate it. i leave it in my shower.

what kind of work do you do? (i know OT, but it IS my thread isn't it :lol:)

18 wheels and rolling. I'm a truck driver.:grin:

1216843174.jpg

I'm still using this method for my co washes and I have to say, my hair has gotten stronger and healthier. I tweaked my recipe a little. I don't use Suave Humectants (I don't think it agrees with my hair), I use Tresemme Moistuizing condish (this stuff is the truth!). After I finished the last batch, I made another batch with Brahmi and Maka powder. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this!:grin:

I'm still using this method for my co washes and I have to say, my hair has gotten stronger and healthier. I tweaked my recipe a little. I don't use Suave Humectants (I don't think it agrees with my hair), I use Tresemme Moistuizing condish (this stuff is the truth!). After I finished the last batch, I made another batch with Brahmi and Maka powder. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this!:grin:
do you refrigerate yours - i made a batch of this and it grew fungus within a few days.

do you refrigerate yours - i made a batch of this and it grew fungus within a few days.

No I don't refrigerate it, I store it in a cool area of my apartment. This batch hasn't grow mold or fungus. I forgot to mention in my last post that I cut back on the coconut oil (I only use about a 1/2 oz now). I used a lot of coconut oil before. I think this may have been one of the reasons why my last few mixes were "soupy" and grew mold.

I think i may try this.

i used to do the tea rinses but got tired of the measurements...and hoping that i don't destroy my hair cuz i used too much shikakai...

...so sprinkling it in conditioner seems to be easier.

been using it consistently for over a year now and have never refrigerated it and have NEVER seen anything growing in or on it...that is very strange...

platinum: thanks for the update! i have been wanting to try the tresseme for my CW but the suave is cheaper :look: :lol:

maybe one of these days when i feel like treating myself i will get the tresseme! :lol:

been using it consistently for over a year now and have never refrigerated it and have NEVER seen anything growing in or on it...that is very strange...

platinum: thanks for the update! i have been wanting to try the tresseme for my CW but the suave is cheaper :look: :lol:

maybe one of these days when i feel like treating myself i will get the tresseme! :lol:

Girl, I'm telling you. It's one of my staples now.:look: I still can't thank you enough for this "secret".:kiss:

Thanks OP. I have boxes of these powder around the house. I will pull this out. Big Hugs.

I'm still using this and I must say that this is the only co wash I will be doing from now on. I love it!:grin: I'm 10 days post and I'm starting to feel some new growth already. :yep:

Thanks OP!

I'm going to have to try this today!

I'll try it with Suave Humectant, Amla Powder, Coconut Oil, and Peppermint Oil.

I'll be back to say how it worked.

Thanks for sharing!

Last edited:
I think I am going to try and make a smaller batch of this Shikakai wash this weekend, with my HairVeda Moist 24/7. :lick: I have shikakai and amla powders. I have some coconut oil as well...I will have to tweak the amounts.

I tried this out yesterday and my hair feels good :) I'll use the mix for my Wednesday cowashes - I think I have enough left for 2 more washes.

Thanks!
Thanks OP!

I'm going to have to try this today!

I'll try it with Suave Humectant, Amla Powder, Coconut Oil, and Peppermint Oil.

I'll be back to say how it worked.

Thanks for sharing!

I tried this mix and after a week my mixture turned watery and the conditioner was real gooey I dont know what happened but I will just mix on the day that I use it from now on.

I tried this mix and after a week my mixture turned watery and the conditioner was real gooey I dont know what happened but I will just mix on the day that I use it from now on.

Hmm... thanks for sharing, it might be because the ingredients used (conditioner, powder, oil, etc) were separating. I put mine in a bottle so I'll bear this in mind and shake the bottle to mix the contents before applying to my hair next week.

Ladies who are thinking about using this or any variation thereof...

I've posted a sort of FAQ if you click the link on the first post.

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions that you need answered...

Have fun with it!

Happy hair growing!!!

That is a cool way to use the powder, I hate the idea of putting the paste in my hair, it's just like rubbing dirt in my head. This I can get with. It's almost like a henna glossing :up:

Back