***AYURVEDA WARNING***Shikai-Co Wash

FUNGUS! :shocked:

what did you put in it?????? :perplexed

I'm surprised at this, too. I wouldn't think coconut oil would be the culprit because coconut oil. Direct from coconut-info.com "Coconut oil is rich in lauric acid, which is known for being anti-viral, antibacterial and anti-fungal."

Coconut oil can remain unrefrigerated in tropic weather for a year, so it should help to preserve the mix, if anything. :yep:

Ladies who are thinking about using this or any variation thereof...

I've posted a sort of FAQ if you click the link on the first post.

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions that you need answered...

Have fun with it!

Happy hair growing!!!

You're the reason I started mixing my powders in my cond. and I haven't looked back since!!! My hair and I would like to say :kiss::thankyou:

I just tried it but I tweak it a bit, i used my CON shampoo instead of the condtioner andd i use jasmine oil I liked the results this time around than i did the last time. my hair feels soft and moisturized. Now if i could only find a good leave in moisturizer i'll be set:grin:. But thanks so much so shairing your secret

I'm totally a natural 4b. I had some of this shikaikai powder at home for almost a year. I've been losing my ends and have been trying to find a way to stop the breakage. Last week I found this thread and tried it. I used 1 teaspoon virgin coconut oil, 2 teaspoons shikaikai powder and 3 heaping teaspoons Pantene relax and natural conditioner. The first time I cowashed with this mixture, I kinda got scared because my hair felt funny and almost immediately washed the mixture out. I lathered on the shea butter and some more coconut oil and rolled my hair (my version of protective styling). It felt really nice and my hair felt really clean and held on to a lot of water like it regained it's thickness. The next morning I notice that I didn't lose as much hair as I have been.

I did it again last night and left the mixture on a little longer. After showering, my hair still held on to alot of water so instead of using the shea butter and rolling my hair, I just let it air dry and slept in my satin bonnet. This morning I had mucho shrinkage but when I looked in the mirror it looked like I lost a patch of hair on the side of my hair. My hair line is naturally a little on the jagged side so I'm not sure if I'm losing hair or am I growing hair. It's just these little fine hairs on one side of my head that I've just noticed. I just don't think that my hair would have started growing like that after just one co-wash with this stuff. I could be wrong! I'm often wrong!

So after that long thing, my question is -

Naturals, did ya'll experience anything similar to this or noticed something strange (not bad, but different) happening to your hair using shikaikai powder mixture this way?

Last edited:
I use Shikakai but don't mix it with conditioner. I oil my hair and scalp and then apply a paste of Aloe Vera Juice and Shikakai powder. I wrap my head in plastic, leave this on for several hours and then co-wash with Vo5.

thank you so much for the tutorial, audacity.

i tried the recipie and love love loved it....then a few days later, i had mold and all kinds of bacteria growth on top on the batches i had made.
(i had done like 4 jars of 32 oz. batches, ouch!)

thank you so much for the tutorial, audacity.

i tried the recipie and love love loved it....then a few days later, i had mold and all kinds of bacteria growth on top on the batches i had made.
(i had done like 4 jars of 32 oz. batches, ouch!)

Oh noooooo :nono: I'm so sorry to hear this. I still just mix teas with my conditioner to cowash. It's easier to do one wash at a time.

Back