Ayurvedic and braids...please help

luckiestdestiny

I am going to braid my hair up again...what's new? Being natural, I have to find ways to keep tangles and manipulation at bay while I'm growing it out. So anyways, is there anyone who has done ayurvedic principles with braids? If so, how did you do it? I want to know if there are any options. I know powder pastes can't be used while in braids as that will damage hair. What about rinses? How would that work? Thanks for any answers you can provide. Also what type do you suggest and exactly how from a-z do you suggest doing it starting with prep, wash, dry. Thanks again in advance.

Keedah

I have been doing amla and shikakai hot oil pre poos while in kinky twists and using a shikakai shampoo and moisturize with vatika oil. I just took one braid out and the hair is very soft.

luckiestdestiny

Cool, but do you only do that and allow hair to dry while in braids. You say you took out a braid and hair was really soft. So what I mean is could I preppoo my braids and use a shampoo (I'm assuming shakaki shamppoo bar?) and then moisturize with vatika but keep in the braids? Not take them a loose? I plan on staying braided, and washing in braids for the next month.

Keedah

Yes you can do the prepoo and keep the braids in. I had mine in for almost 8 weeks now and prepoo every other week and wash once a week. I use a leave in conditoner in a spray bottle on the actual braids and the vatika oil on my scalp.

tiffanyoneal

I wear micros all the time and I do the tea rinse every wash. It works out fine for me and makes my hair feel so soft and moisturized. I wanted to try the paste but I am worried about the little particles that would be left behind. It seems like my hair has gottten alot thicker since I started using the indian oils. See my siggy below.
ETA:
I pre-poo with shikaki, jasmine oil, alma oil, coconut oil and vatika oil for 1 hour.
I mix alma and brahmi in a coffee pot to make my tea rinse, get in the shower, shampoo with the shikaki bar, pour it over my head, let it sit for 10 minutes, rinse and conditioner.Lastly I let my braids air dry.

Last edited:

VinDieselsWifey

i'm wearing cornrows while i transition back to natural hair and i still use ayurveda products.

i oil my scalp with warm oil as a pre-poo for 30 minutes then rinse it out.

then pour my shikakai, amla, bhrami tea rinse all over my head and put a shower cap on so it can sit for about 15-20 minutes

then rinse and pour diluted conditioner over my head. let it sit for about 20 minutes and rinse

then spray my braids with diluted leave in condish and oil my scalp with my MoeGro Oil

luckiestdestiny

i'm wearing cornrows while i transition back to natural hair and i still use ayurveda products.

then pour my shikakai, amla, bhrami tea rinse all over my head and put a shower cap on so it can sit for about 15-20 minutes

then rinse and pour diluted conditioner over my head. let it sit for about 20 minutes and rinse

then spray my braids with diluted leave in condish and oil my scalp with my MoeGro Oil

That sounds great. I was looking for something like this.Thanks so much:yay:

luckiestdestiny

I wear micros all the time and I do the tea rinse every wash. It works out fine for me and makes my hair feel so soft and moisturized. I wanted to try the paste but I am worried about the little particles that would be left behind. It seems my hair has gottten alot thicker since I started using the indian oils. See my siggy below.
I can totally see the difference! Off to get some stuff for a tea rinse. I hear you about the paste. The main thing I was worried about was left over particles scissoring their way through my hair.

luckiestdestiny

Quick question...what's your ration of shikakai, amla, bhrami? Does it make hair hard at all? Thanks

VinDieselsWifey

i use about 2 cups of distilled water or coconut juice and 1 TBSP each of the powders. sometimes i soak fenugreek seeds in the water first then add that water to the powders

it doesn't make my hair hard. but you MUST oil your hair/scalp before using these powders or you can experience dryness