Back to the basic: buns

amy1234

anyone else feeling this way:
for me, at the moment I am tired of dealing with my hair right now. I just want to give it a break, so there will be no relaxing either (too much hassle for me right now) until the spring. Instead I will be protective styling with buns, washing/conditioning once per week, misting daily my bun daily with water and coating it with olive oil and wild growth oil. Anyone else want to join me??

hi dee! i'll join you until the last week of march. it'll be the end of my 6 month stretch. i won't have a choice but to bun. it should be easy for us since it's the winter ( i hope :) )

great!!
SweetCaramel1 said:
hi dee! i'll join you until the last week of march. it'll be the end of my 6 month stretch. i won't have a choice but to bun. it should be easy for us since it's the winter ( i hope :) )
bumping...anyone else want to join?
think of it this way, if you keep your hair in protective styles for the winter, you are definantely going to see more growth than if you were going to where it out all the time . :perplexed

*Dee* said:
great!!

bumping...anyone else want to join?
think of it this way, if you keep your hair in protective styles for the winter, you are definantely going to see more growth than if you were going to where it out all the time . :perplexed

Alright....But, can I wear it down once a month? (blowdry and flat iron just that one time every 4 weeks?) I know you are right and I need to bun as MUCH as possible....just wondering if I will have the option monthly just in case there is a special event or occassion?

I'll join too. My hair has been bunned up for about two weeks and will continue to be like that until late feb./early march.

I will join too...I have been bunning it for a week or two now..I feel lazy as well as far as my hair is concerned. Plus I am doing other challenges for growth so the bun thing will work. I will be getting touch ups a couple a times over the next few months and I usually wear my hair down a couple of days after...

I'll join in on this one too, I am stretching my relaxer out until April. I plan to keep my hair moisurized w/ coconut oil or olive oil on the ends.

I would like to join a bun challenge (have been wanting to since I joined) but those "beedeebee's" at the nape of my neck, cannot be let loose on the public. I've been working on that area so hopefully by June, I can start bunning. In the meantime, I wear braidouts 90% of the time. Is that protective enough?

sorry I took so long to get back (under the weather). I suppose it would be alright to do, but sometimes you just need to give the hair a "break" if you want quicker results. ;)
CantBeCopied said:
Alright....But, can I wear it down once a month? (blowdry and flat iron just that one time every 4 weeks?) I know you are right and I need to bun as MUCH as possible....just wondering if I will have the option monthly just in case there is a special event or occassion?

I guess I have them too (beedeebee's) I just brush them out before bunning so you could probably still do it. I'm not sure if braidout's count because your hair would still be exposed to the air, it might dry out quicker than if you were to have it in a bun. Anywho I know that braid-outs involve less manipulation so it just might work :ohwell: :)
bee said:
I would like to join a bun challenge (have been wanting to since I joined) but those "beedeebee's" at the nape of my neck, cannot be let loose on the public. I've been working on that area so hopefully by June, I can start bunning. In the meantime, I wear braidouts 90% of the time. Is that protective enough?
and for everyone else involved in this bun challenge, I'll bump the thread every now and then as a reminder to stay on track. Hopefully we can get some kind of growth going on :)

*Dee* said:
anyone else feeling this way:
for me, at the moment I am tired of dealing with my hair right now. I just want to give it a break, so there will be no relaxing either (too much hassle for me right now) until the spring. Instead I will be protective styling with buns, washing/conditioning once per week, misting daily my bun daily with water and coating it with olive oil and wild growth oil. Anyone else want to join me??

How did I skip over this thread? I'm definately join you in this one, Dee. This is an excellent thread. If I don't relax (my daily struggle and debate) I will press those "beedeebees."

*Dee* said:
sorry I took so long to get back (under the weather). I suppose it would be alright to do, but sometimes you just need to give the hair a "break" if you want quicker results. ;)

I knowwwwww! Dee, how do you wear your hair during special occasions? Do you still bun it? French roll? What about when you want to be sexy for your sweetie? :look:

CantBeCopied said:
I knowwwwww! Dee, how do you wear your hair during special occasions? Do you still bun it? French roll? What about when you want to be sexy for your sweetie? :look:

Yea, I would like to wear my hair down for special occasions.

Hey! I never thought to press out the beedeebee's! What about the gray. I'm in my early 30s and it's a nest of gray all over my nape area. It tells how old I really am.

^^^ I don't know? Maybe a rinse? Don't feel bad, I'm in my early 20's and have a few greys (from recent stress). I'm young but I liked to show it off and get a kick out of watching peoples stares while they try to play it off.

Count me in!! I'm going to try to keep the bun thing going til the end of March. It'll be a nice quick and easy style to do when I wake up in the morning and it will protect my ends. But man is it going to be borrrrring :lol: I'm so used to wearing it out and i don't think my sweetie will appreciate it much but he'll just have to get used to it :) Good luck to me!

CantBeCopied said:
I knowwwwww! Dee, how do you wear your hair during special occasions? Do you still bun it? French roll? What about when you want to be sexy for your sweetie?
blueabyss333 said:
Yea, I would like to wear my hair down for special occasions.
Well, you can try styling your hair in a bun with bangs, or hair that is swept to the side of your face (which I think is pretty seksi) :)
besides, think of when this challenge is over and how much length you would have accumilated :yep:

Last edited:
I'm in! I'm already trying to stretch til April, so this will work for me. It's getting harder to work with the 2 textures anyway, so it'll be much easier to bun and keep it moving.

I've just experienced a problem with the buns. After I did my weekly wash, condition, and wet set, I put my hair back into a bun, tied it with a scarf and went to bed. In the morning my bun was loose (it was still a bun, but messy and ill formed). So now I'm wondering how I can keep this protective style all week without having to redo the bun everyday. I am securing the bun with the crinkly loose type of bobby pins and I do not use a ponytail holder for fear of tension on the hair.

i want to join this challenge!

i really cant stand messing with my hair every morning because I get tempted to use the flat iron and my braid out's arent perfect yet.

i would love to do the bun thing but with a phony pony over it. my hair is not long enough to do a bun by itsself.

i will con wash my hair 1x week and take my vitamins religously.

also i wil rotate my hair conditioners and be GENTLE with my hair.

How long is the challenge? I want to retain 3" by April. Its a stretch but you gotta aim for the sky!

IM IN!!!!!

Okay, can someone post some links to bun instructions from fellow LHCF members? I need to see some good bun demonstrations or read the step-by-step on them. I don't know how to make my buns look interesting. They are just a ponytail with the length tucked under. I want to do the pretty buns. :cool:

(goodmorning!!)This happens to me too, when I go to sleep I usually cover my hair with a satin bonnet so by morning there are a lot of fly-aways and fuzziness.
I usually have to undo the bun and brush everything back into place. This is also when I mist and coat with wgo and olive oil. As long as my hair is protected for the majority of the day I am fine. :D
LovelyZ said:
I've just experienced a problem with the buns. After I did my weekly wash, condition, and wet set, I put my hair back into a bun, tied it with a scarf and went to bed. In the morning my bun was loose (it was still a bun, but messy and ill formed). So now I'm wondering how I can keep this protective style all week without having to redo the bun everyday. I am securing the bun with the crinkly loose type of bobby pins and I do not use a ponytail holder for fear of tension on the hair.

I know that dontspeakdefeat has a nice demonstration in her fotki, I don't know if she would mind me posting it here but you can probably find album by doing a search. :bookworm:
I use a donut when doing a bun :yep: and cover with a headband scrunchi...
CantBeCopied said:
Okay, can someone post some links to bun instructions from fellow LHCF members? I need to see some good bun demonstrations or read the step-by-step on them. I don't know how to make my buns look interesting. They are just a ponytail with the length tucked under. I want to do the pretty buns. :cool:

*Dee* said:
I know that dontspeakdefeat has a nice demonstration in her fotki, I don't know if she would mind me posting it here but you can probably find album by doing a search. :bookworm:
I use a donut when doing a bun :yep: and cover with a headband scrunchi...

THANKS DEE! :p

maybe you can take the style from a different perspective, when I do a regular bun I look like I'm ready to go to ballet class :lol: but it can feel seksi at the same time...does that make any sense :confused: :lol:
wearing a bun also has that "model" look, very simple but effective, like your not trying too hard to look nice.
Samaria said:
I dont know how to do a bun....my hubby will not let me constant bun he loves my hair

Back