Bad Buzz Re Mo Knows Hair Salon In Nyc

AnjelLuvs

These stylists are getting crazy with costs... Every service there is a charge... Like let me go get that creamy crack back... Lol...

I had a similar experience at a Harlem salon.. I really just wanted to get hair blown out and cut... Why did that ish go over $300 never again... And, my hair got heat damaged, I smelled like burnt for like a whole week... :sad:

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
I had heard that noise about her when she first opened.

I stopped going to natural hair salons from the time I actually little chopped. I get a quote over the phone and then once my hair is seen ( which is expected), the charged tripled. No thanks. For some two strand twists??? At that time folks were calling themselves naturals and didn't even know the basic steps to handling natural hair. It is a living and your choice but some of those prices!!!

If its not a weave, or crochet, I'm not paying anyone to do my hair.

Daina

I also went to her salon and posted about my experience in another post. My experience while not as bad as the video above, it wasn't great. She definitely cannot do hair textures that are coarser than her own and her styling was terrible. All of us walked out with the same flat lackluster hair. In person she is completely different than she appears on her videos. Very standoffish and quite honestly just not real friendly. Her prices are on the high-end which I knew and wouldn't mind paying for good service...it just wasn't good service. The best thing she did was trim my hair and she listened to how much I wanted trimmed. She tried her best to talk me into layers which I politely declined several times. I think her flat ironing and curling work better for layered hair maybe? She talked the other two ladies who were there into layers and again it was all the same. Between my train ticket from PA and her fee it was about $400. I would NEVER reccomend her salon, it's just not worth it. I actually stopped following her on YT because for me it's just false advertising. My experience was in 2016 and unfortunately I see nothing seems to have changed.

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
I can't get anybody's hair silky straight, not even my own. I would love to get some training to be able to do that. Imagine me with a fabulous hair salon and spa in France, with my own hair product line. When ya'll swing through France, swing by my salon. But first, I got to get those flat iron skills down, and a license!

I'm sorry folks are not having positive experiences. I'd love to have the opportunity, time and money to become a skilled, license stylist and to open a shop as Mo has done, should I dare say, in Paris! You just never know what can happen!

flyygirlll2

Lioness mane
I can't get anybody's hair silky straight, not even my own. I would love to get some training to be able to do that. Imagine me with a fabulous hair salon and spa in France, with my own hair product line. When ya'll swing through France, swing by my salon. But first, I got to get those flat iron skills down, and a license!

I'm sorry folks are not having positive experiences. I'd love to have the opportunity, time and money to become a skilled, license stylist and to open a shop as Mo has done, should I dare say, in Paris! You just never know what can happen!

This. That’s something I definitely lack skill in. If you do ever decide to open a salon, let me know... I’d come through someway somehow :roadrunner:

PlanetCybertron

I get this urge to drop everything and pursue hair as well. I love hair. Not just my own. I’m more than willing to put in time, effort, and money not just for our hair, but all hair types in between.

I will say though, that if I personally had a salon, a shampoo, condition, dry/style would be a flat rate for all heads across the board. And I’d probably slap my own face if I even tried to charge over 80$. I guess it’s just my own viewpoint, but shampooing and styling isn’t something that needs to cost so much. I get braiding, and installations can be a bit more, and espeacially color treatments, since the skill lies solely in the stylist, but that’s it personally.

As far as Mo Knows Hair, I’ve enjoyed viewing a few of her videos, but compared to many other stylist who post their work online, I feel like she could use a bit of an attitude adjustment, and brushing up on new skills, or even going to hair expos and whatnot. I feel like you’re never too good at something to still learn new things.

Last edited: