Bad experience with weaves

locabouthair

Has anyone had bad experiences with a weave? I have tried weaves four times. I had many problems with them and when I took them out my I noticed my hair has gotten really dry. Even my hairdresser said weaves aren't making my hair any better. I never liked weaves before and now that I have tried them I definitely don't like them now as least not for myself. Some people have weaves that look nice and maybe benefit their hair but I'm just not one of those people. This will definitely be my last weave (sew in). Maybe I'll try a phony pony but thats about it. I can't wait to take this weave out although I am afraid of what my real hair looks like now. I will wear my hair natural and try to bring it back healthy again.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Yeah, leave those weaves alone if they are not helping your hair! But maybe you could get some advice from a weave wearer here that has had success with wearing weaves. Good luck with whatever you do with your hair!

HollyGolightly

i've had sucess with sew-ins. the key for me is washing them about once a week, keeping them in for no longer than 4 weeks max, and deep conditioning my hair in between sew-ins. they really help when you want to stretch your relaxers.

another1

If a hair stylist is putting your weave in they should educate you about proper care. You still have to take care of your hair underneath the weave.

When I got my first weave, the stylist told me to make sure I lift the hair up and put OIL DIRECTLY ON THE BRAIDS at least every other day. This really helps a lot and prevents matting. When I used to take my weaves out, my hair would "feel" very greasy but would be very moisturized because I put carrot oil on each row of braids every day.

Also, make sure that the braids are not too tight and I also used human hair.

I got and retained the most growth in my life when I wore a sew-in weave for a year. It can do wonders if you take proper care of your hair.

CurlyCrly

To each his own. :)
another1, how long did you keep each weave in? How often did you wash your hair?

When I get better at cornrows, I want to try to put one in myself. :)

another1

CurlyCrly said:
another1, how long did you keep each weave in? How often did you wash your hair?

When I get better at cornrows, I want to try to put one in myself. :)

I kept it in for about 2 months each time on average. No longer. I would shampoo in between the braids every two weeks, sometimes 3 weeks. On occasion, I would put Fantasia IC leave-in conditioner in between the cornrows, but that can cause build up and you may have to wash more frequently if you do that.

hopeful

You've gotten a lot of good responses that may make wearing a weave a better experience for you. But weaves are not for everyone. Do what works best for you. No one knows your hair better than you. Good luck with wearing your natural hair.:)

another1

hopeful said:
You've gotten a lot of good responses that may make wearing a weave a better experience for you. But weaves are not for everyone. Do what works best for you. No one knows your hair better than you. Good luck with wearing your natural hair.:)

This is especially true. Do what is best for you. If your hair is really thin, sometimes a sew in weave can make it worse by the constant pulling and tugging that some people do while styling.

DiamondStar

I've had bad experiences with sew-in weaves. The first week was fine; but than the itching began. When I tried to wash the weave, it looked okay, but not like it did before I washed it...and the itching began again. My hair grew a little bit, but it thinned out. All in all, it wasn't worth it. After the second week, it looked a ratty mess! I think my scalp was sensitive to the human hair (which was not cheap). But on the other hand, my mom got sewn-in weaves every six weeks for two years (she lost her hair due to medication) and even though she scratched like a mad woman, her hair grew in nicely:)