Ban on natural hair!!!!!!!

PaperClip

delta_gyrl said:
What if you're a woman with very long hair? Should you cut it? As long as you can pull your hair back neatly there shouldn't be a problem.

DH's closest male friend is a cop and he caught hayle for wearing cornrows. He finally cut his hair b/c they hassled him so much.

How did they hassle your husband's friend? Did they write him up or threaten to? Give him a crappy schedule? Sometimes one has to decide which battles they want to fight, if you will.

deltagyrl

RelaxerRehab said:
How did they hassle your husband's friend? Did they write him up or threaten to? Give him a crappy schedule? Sometimes one has to decide which battles they want to fight, if you will.

all of the above. he's a boston cop so you KNOW they didn't like that.... he's had other racial problems but refuses to leave b/c they pay is lovely. the sad part is that his mother is white.

Cheleigh

delta_gyrl said:
• Extreme or fad hairstyles are PROHIBITED, including but not limited to: cornrows, mohawks, dreadlocks, and twists, as well as designs or sculptures using the hair and/or cut into the hair.

Uh, did I read this wrong or are they prohibiting locks and twists???

You read right. I don't know how people are misreading this to believe that the twists prohibition is valid only to men. It's under the universal guidelines, then there are additional guidelines specific to men and women listed.

I wonder why they don't include blonde as an artifical haircolor for some people--I guess that would be race based.

I would rather see a restriction on hair length than styles. Honestly, the only way I could get my 8-9" of hair under a 8-point cap would be to twist it or fight with it into a low ponytail. Otherwise, my afro is too dense (not too big) to fit under the cap. If a man or woman is wearing locs or twists that can be placed into a bun or don't exceed a certain number of inches (to still allow a neat appearance or the wearing of the hat), then I don't see the problem with that restriction. I can see the argument that they don't want men with long hair, although I think it's an archaic thought system.

But to say that a straight haired woman can wear their hair to a certain length simply because their hair grows down (like I see no restriction on the length of a woman's hair, so as long as it can be clipped up, so the argument about not pulling the hair/safety goes out of the window) yet for me to create styles for my hair that meet the regulations because it grows out instead of down (it CANNOT conform to the shape of my head in it's natural state without being braided, twisted, or loc'd until it becomes long enough for a ponytail/bun) is faddish and prohibited.

I noticed that box braids or micros, with or without extensions, regardless of length, are not prohibted. Yet cornrows, locs, and twists are faddish.

I don't understand how so many people don't see the hypocricy and inconsistency all through the regulation.

sistagrl2004

Not sure how people living in Baltimore could miss this! I Googles "No Natural Hair Baltimore Police" and got all kinds of hits from local news/radio/papers!!!

hersheyskiss

JCoily said:
Yes, you read it right. It's helpful when the officer is raiding the drug lords house, if he/she can't be grabbed by their flowing hair and have their throats cut.

:lol: that was sarcasm right:look:

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
delta_gyrl said:
What if you're a woman with very long hair? Should you cut it? As long as you can pull your hair back neatly there shouldn't be a problem.

This isn't an issue of neatness. This is an issue of avoiding weakness that will get you killed. When the po-po aren't harrassing innocent black people, they are dealing with criminals, some of whom are very dangerous and aren't above physical altercations with said po-po's.

Caramela

It is true, to my amazement. It was on the radio the other day. I live in Bmore. I know people can be very attached to their hair and how they express their individuality. If someone told me that I had to cut all this hair that I have been growing the past 5 years?? I would be livid. And to be perfectly honest, I don't know if my job would take priority.

testimony777

Wow:eek: They may not have directly said that hair must be worn straight, but that is what they have said essentially. Depending on the texture and length of a Black woman's hair, if she is not allowed to wear twists, cornrows or locks, there is not much left for her to do but cut it into a short fro or straighten it in order to conform to their guidelines. And I have a huge problem with our hairstyles being lumped into the same category as mohawks and extreme hair colors. A mohawk is a “faddish” style. Dying your hair green or hot pink is “faddish.” But twists, locks and cornrows are black hairstyles. There are ways of cornrowing or twisting ones hair that are less professional than others and there are ways of styling one's locks that are less professional than other, but the styles in and of themselves are not “faddish” and are far from being generally unprofessional.

On my way to NP right now;)

dimpalz

I'm playin devils advocate here cos I think they should all have hair like in the army anyway. If you wanna be taken seriously in ur profession you need to look right. But over here a few years back a little court case proved that the metropolitan police (the police for London) were institutionally racist, I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't the only police force that were. I personally don't think black people should be police officers neway...

dimpalz

not really. It's just how I feel. Just like some people don't like to see interracial couples I don't like to see black police officers. Gues it's "youth of today" thing...

sistagrl2004

dimpalz said:
not really. It's just how I feel. Just like some people don't like to see interracial couples I don't like to see black police officers. Gues it's "youth of today" thing...

WOW! I am not feeling you on this. I want to see black people doing anything we want to do PERIOD. If there are no black police officers, who is going to offer the sympathy and understanding to black people.. Lest we be 100% dependant on "good white folks". In 2006 I think it's sad that we have to even defend our own HAIR as it grows out of our heads!!

I really don't take exception to the men not being able to wear locks, twists, and braids. Men are not expected to have much hair on their heads, as women are. And I view the police in very much the same way I do the military. They wouldn't allow men to wear those styles in the military, so why allow male police officers too?

As far as the women are concerned, I can understand the rule about being able to easily fit the cap over the head since it's part of the uniform. So, as long as the hair is up, the cap can fit, and it looks neat, then the hair style should be ok. IMO

Bunny77

EbonyF said:
Just so you guys know, there is an updated version which states AFRO's are not allowed either for male or female. And it's sad that there are some people saying they have no problems with these mandates...

Basically they're saying the style I am wearing in my signature I couldn't wear in a police uniform. Sad.

Okay, how can an AFRO not be allowed? What's up with that? Where is this mentioned?

Now, I have no problem with them wanting short hair in general because I agree that long hair can be an extra risk for an officer (getting it pulled, etc.). But since they seem to be allowing hair close to shoulder length, then yes, they are basically restricting natural black women to only wearing a TWA, while a relaxed/pressed/weaved woman can still have some options. THAT'S a problem to me...

Either everyone has options, or no one has options... a TWA equals a Halle Berry pixie cut in straightened-hair terminology so those should be the only two choices if they are concerned with length. But if it's okay for women to straighten or even use a weave (they mention wigs and hairpieces as acceptable), then excluding natural methods of styling shoulder-length hair is discriminatory.

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
Even though I don't agree that dredlocks are faddish and extreme, I don't see a problem. If a male came to my house with some cornrows or twist in a cop uniform, honestly, I'd probably think he was impersonating a cop, not actually on duty.

Also, nowhere does it say that hair has to be straight. To me, the apparent length restrictions just mean that the hair should be styled in a way so that it doesn't go past the eyebrows, shirt collar, or whatever. A bun or french braid that's tucked under are universal styles and would work just fine.

nijilah

This is very interesting. My issues are as follows:
1. The lump of hairstyles that are thousands of years old into fads and compared to mohawks. Not the same thing, one of these groups is cultural.
2. Depending on the length of your hair, if you don't have straight hair, what can you do with it but cut it short?

To me, it is a ban on most natural - or let's say African cultured - hairstyles.

EbonyF

Bunny77 said:
Okay, how can an AFRO not be allowed? What's up with that? Where is this mentioned?
It's being discussed over on Np.com about how supervisors are now going after the women with afros because it doesn't "conform" to the shape of the head.

StrawberryQueen

dimpalz said:
I'm playin devils advocate here cos I think they should all have hair like in the army anyway. If you wanna be taken seriously in ur profession you need to look right. But over here a few years back a little court case proved that the metropolitan police (the police for London) were institutionally racist, I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't the only police force that were. I personally don't think black people should be police officers neway...

WTF??????????:confused:

hersheyskiss

After reading this policy and mulling(sp) it over in my head...I have to say I agree with it for the men. Twists, Locs(for non religious reasons), and cornrows should not be allowed. The official document doesn't include a ban on afros. For now that is just hearsay Let's be real, other races of men wear their hair a few inches long and that's it. Nothing special is done to it. Either they gel it up or let it hang. I don't see a problem with asking Black men to do the same.

Women can still wear braids and afros. Locks have been hated on for as long as I can remember. That's nothing new.

And as far as twists are concerned...I will be the first to admit twists are fadish to me here in the South. Perhaps people up North have seen grown women walking around with twists for years, but from a Southern perspective it could be considered fadish. But Baltimore is up North so... I'll stop rambling now since that's really irrelevant:lol:

keluric

Ok, I signed the petition and all but I do have two cents to share. I kept in mind that this is the police department and there should be a measure of uniformity. I can actually understand requiring a hairstyle that conforms to the head.. I mean, they do have to wear the hats that go with the uniform. I've never seen a police officer with locs.. nor do I wish to. Another thing is come on.. ya'll know black people CAN get carried away with their hairstyles. Let's not front. It's probably those few folk who took it too far that gave "natural" hairstyles a bad name and made it "unacceptable." You know non-Blacks tend to generalize when it comes to Blacks anyway.

*Running away from the thread*

Last edited:

jtsupanova

testimony777 said:
Wow:eek: They may not have directly said that hair must be worn straight, but that is what they have said essentially. Depending on the texture and length of a Black woman's hair, if she is not allowed to wear twists, cornrows or locks, there is not much left for her to do but cut it into a short fro or straighten it in order to conform to their guidelines. And I have a huge problem with our hairstyles being lumped into the same category as mohawks and extreme hair colors. A mohawk is a “faddish” style. Dying your hair green or hot pink is “faddish.” But twists, locks and cornrows are black hairstyles. There are ways of cornrowing or twisting ones hair that are less professional than others and there are ways of styling one's locks that are less professional than other, but the styles in and of themselves are not “faddish” and are far from being generally unprofessional.

On my way to NP right now;)

I agree with everything mentioned above
There is a distinction bettween black hair styles and fadishish hair styles
This is darn near 2007 our people need to wake up
This is discrimination

keluric said:
Ok, I signed the petition and all but I do have two cents to share. I kept in mind that this is the police department and there should be a measure of uniformity. I can actually understand requiring a hairstyle that conforms to the head.. I mean, they do have to wear the hats that go with the uniform. I've never seen a police officer with locs.. nor do I wish to. Another thing is come on.. ya'll know black people CAN get carried away with their hairstyles. Let's not front. It's probably those few folk who took it too far that gave "natural" hairstyles a bad name and made it "unacceptable." You know non-Blacks tend to generalize when it comes to Blacks anyway.

*Running away from the thread*

I agree. I think it was probably a few that made natural hair a "bad thing".

VinDieselsWifey

FeelinIt said:
I guess I don't see the problem. Is it because they said you can't wear dreadlocks and twists? I've never seen any officer or military man or woman with these types of hairstyles. Now if they had stated that I need to straighten my hair, then there would be a problem. Is it because it was stated as a fad hairstyle?

i've seen plenty of officers and enlisted women wearing twists. i even braid two officers hair for them all the time.

VinDieselsWifey

EbonyF said:
Just so you guys know, there is an updated version which states AFRO's are not allowed either for male or female. And it's sad that there are some people saying they have no problems with these mandates...

Basically they're saying the style I am wearing in my signature I couldn't wear in a police uniform. Sad.

i'm with you...

dicapr

Did anyone else notice that they banned a favorite white boy style also-the gel laden spikey thing you see. I don't think it was racially motivated. And I'm sorry, I support the no hat over a 'fro policy. I can imagine them coming into the station, pulling off the hat-talk about hat head! (joking) But seriously, society still sees short hair on men and a tight bun on women as professional. I've seen many natural women rock a beautiful bun.