Bantu Knot Out DISASTER!

clarity2008

Ok, so I attempted a bantu knot out for the first time today and it was horrible. My hair is shoulder length when curly and armpit length when i press it...when i took the knots out my hair had shrunken up to ear length!! it looked a complete mess. :nono: the curls came out big bouncy and defined- so pretty but it looked so weird. I did it on wet hair with a little leave in and some serum like suggested on this youtube tutorial (which i thought would be better than dry because my hair tends to get harder to work with as it dries and gets A LOT frizzier) i watched but obviously thats not a method that works for me. did/does anyone else have this problem? i'm thinking i should lightly blow dry and stretch my hair before doing the knots...any other suggestions??

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Ok, so I attempted a bantu knot out for the first time today and it was horrible. My hair is shoulder length when curly and armpit length when i press it...when i took the knots out my hair had shrunken up to ear length!! it looked a complete mess. :nono: the curls came out big bouncy and defined- so pretty but it looked so weird. I did it on wet hair with a little leave in and some serum like suggested on this youtube tutorial (which i thought would be better than dry because my hair tends to get harder to work with as it dries and gets A LOT frizzier) i watched but obviously thats not a method that works for me. did/does anyone else have this problem? i'm thinking i should lightly blow dry and stretch my hair before doing the knots...any other suggestions??
Yeah that would probably help.....or do a twist-out for a similar look w/less shrinkage.

longhairdreamzz

I'm sorry it didn't work out for you...gosh, I've never done a bantu knot before so I really wouldn't be the best person to help. I was going to try it next weekend though from this video tutorial on youtube (here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbsLAwCxRO4). But it's on dry hair though. If it did't work out so well on the wet hair...you may want to consider trying it out on dry hair then, even if it is frizzy.

Hopefully, some more ladies will come in and give some more suggestions real soon! :)

clarity2008

I'm sorry it didn't work out for you...gosh, I've never done a bantu knot before so I really wouldn't be the best person to help. I was going to try it next weekend though from this video tutorial on youtube (here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbsLAwCxRO4). But it's on dry hair though. If it did't work out so well on the wet hair...you may want to consider trying it out on dry hair then, even if it is frizzy.

Hopefully, some more ladies will come in and give some more suggestions real soon! :)

actually i watched a video by that same girl (isnt she gorgeous!) but it was a video of her actually putting the knots in but yea she said you can do it on either wet or dry hair....oh well, at least i learned something.:rolleyes:

cottoncoily

When I did bantu knot outs while I was relaxed they shrunk up to my ears as well. I pulled and separated the curls to make them look looser then I pinned it back with bobby pins or other hair clips to make it look right. I learned that the curls fall the longer I keep them in. The last time I did it before I BC'ed the curls didn't look right until the second or third after I slept on them and they fell.

SayNo2HairCrack

Hey !! Yea I did the bantu knots a couple of times... my hair is a little above APL when straight and a little under my ear when curly and the pic I posted below is how it came out... I DC it ... blow dried it as straight as I can get it then put a good creme moisturizer on it... knotted it ... let it stay in overnight or throughout the day for a extra style and then let then took them out... I didn't like them only because on my hair it looked really nice for like two days and the other days it was like :ohwell::ohwell: not bad but just :ohwell::ohwell: .. you know. And for all that heat for the style to last a few days wasn't worth it for me. Hope this helps !!

godsflowerrr

Yes, doing it on dry stretched hair will definitely help. I have pics of this in my fotki. When I do them on wet hair it looks a hot mess until the curls loosen..lol Rollersetting then bantu knot setting on dry hair is the best!!!!! It gives nice beach waves!

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
At least I wasn't the only one with a bantu knot disaster. I have CBL hair and basically had a 'Power to the People' bush after I undid the knots.

Rae81

i have done bantou knots on wet hair and my hair did the same thing, im relaxed with hair a lil above apl and my hair shrunk to middle of my neck, i wore my hair like that for one day then did something else to it. But now i do them on dry hair and my hair comes out more wavy then curly