bantu knots with retention

ZLUVSNEWZEE

Bantu knot out is my go to style. I am transitioning from relaxed to natural so this style is my everyday style pretty much. I try to get second and third day hair on my knots but sometimes I'm unable to. I want to know if anyone knows how I can style my bantu knots whilst limiting breakage and retaining length. I dc weekly, I moisturize with water spritz, elasta mango butter and castor oil every night unless I'm trying to get second and third day hair. I don't know how to do this stlye in a way I can stop breakage. I only use a comb once a week and I don't do the knots too tight. I've even stopped using bobby pins where I can. I don't know if its because I'm always touching my hair looking for ssks and breakage or what that's causing breakage but my ends tend to feel dry most of the time as well. I guess I want to know how I can properly mosturize my hair daily and still keep the style, I fear over wetting/over greasing my hair and not getting definition. Please help!

MrsJaiDiva

Embracing the Light
Only thing that worked for me was satin bun covers, secured with ponytail holders. I did retain, but ultimately got better retention from two strand twisting my hair, and using satin sponge rollers.

Leslie_C

ZLUVSNEWZEE Hey fellow transitioner! How far are you into your transition and how long do you plan to transition?

What is your current regimen and what products are you using?

I can never get 2nd day hair...its happened like twice in the past coupe of months lol. As far as breakage and dry ends, have you tried the LOC method of moisturizing? Liquid-water or water based leave in/moisturizer, Oil- oil of your choice, then Cream which would be a heavier creamy product or butter. My hair seems to retain moisture better when I do this on wash day, then until next wash I just moisturize and seal each day. My hair accepts moisture bestwhen damp, so I ill spritze lightly and then moisturize and seal.

Do you lose a lot of hair when you detangle? You also may need some protein. I used Aphogee 2 min keratin tx a couple of weeks ago and it drastically decreased the number of short hairs Ive been seeing when I manipulate my hair. Now it is mostly shedding (white bulb attaced to end of strand).

Bantu knots is one of my go to styles too and Ive been retaining. I just decided to transition in May and chopped several inches up to neck length and I havent straightened to check the length, but it seems to have grown out a lot already.

ZLUVSNEWZEE

Its been a long time since I had a relaxer so I've been transitioning for a long time, I just have no idea when unfortunately... maybe a year. I want to transition until my ng reaches shoulder length stretched.
I use garnier sleek and shine poo and condish, right now i have silk elements cholesterol dc and elasta dpr dc. I use elasta qp olive oil mango butter and giovanni direct leave in for mosturizer and castor oil for seal. I currently have no staples. I sometimes use aloe vera gel mixed with chi keratin mist. My regimen is simple dc once a week, no heat, bantu knot out as protective style and most and seal every night.
I seem to lose a fair amount of hair but I go through my comb after detanglilng and don't feel overwhelmed by the amount I lose, it's more when I touch my hair and these short pieces break off, or when I find ssks and splits out of nowhere.

Can you tell me how you do your bantu knots? Do you mosturize then do the knots or do you use a holding agent or pudding of some sort?

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
OP, you need a moisturizing deep conditioner; your products are mainly protein based. Have you tried Silk Elements Mega Silk?

ZLUVSNEWZEE

NappyNelle,
I have not tried it but I don't think I saw it at sallys when I went. Thank you for the info. I thought the elasta DPR was mosturize. Ive been rotating dcs thinking I was giving myself a balance :rolleyes. Thank you

smwrigh3

I did bantu knots my entire first year of transitioning... it was the first thing I learned to do.

I just misted my hair and used ORS olive oil hair lotion. Day one I would do 16 bantu knots, day 2 8 knots and 4 knots on day 3. Then I started over again. I never got the hang off not having to do my hair everyday!! lol

Here's a pic... I wore lots of head bands during this phase!

Leslie_C

OP, you need a moisturizing deep conditioner; your products are mainly protein based. Have you tried Silk Elements Mega Silk?

OP,

:yep: Thats what I was thinking(what NappyNelle sad)...your regimen is very protein heavy. I suggest ORS Replenishing conditioner, Silk Elements Mixes Silk, One N Only Argan oil hair mask, and a good cheapy one is Aussie Moist 3 minute deeep. You may want to switch to a sulfate free shampoo...the Garnier conditioner is good, but the shampoo is probably stripping. Your hair may be breaking from too much protein. I would leave all the proten out for a couple of weeks and do moisture only to see if you can tilt the balance more in the other direction.

If I am doing my bantu knots right after washing or cowashing, I put in my leave in and seal...then when it is almost dry I will add a little holding product and do my knots-sometimes taliah waajid curl cream, sometimes a wrap lotion. Then each night to re-knot I would M&S as I go to do the knots.

Does your hair like the giovanni? How does it feel? It is popular, but my hair didnt like it at all. It has taken a lot of trial and error to find the right products for my hair!

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
this was my main style for my natural hair at one point, i basically transitioned out of heat trained hair with this style.
my ends suffered because i redid them every single night, so i advise not doing that.
my ends do much better when rolled on a perm rod, the coiling that you do for a bantu knot isn't so great for the ends, at least my fine, finicky hair.
if you do them, i advise sealing the ends well with a heavy oil, maybe castor oil.

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
NappyNelle,
I have not tried it but I don't think I saw it at sallys when I went. Thank you for the info. I thought the elasta DPR was mosturize. Ive been rotating dcs thinking I was giving myself a balance :rolleyes. Thank you

No problem! Leslie_C mentioned many more moisture based conditioners for you, so I don't want to berate you with more. I really do think that will help maintain your hair's flexibility. On your ends, you can try a touch of castor oil when you redo or re-roll the knot.

ZLUVSNEWZEE

smwrigh3 said:
I did bantu knots my entire first year of transitioning... it was the first thing I learned to do.

I just misted my hair and used ORS olive oil hair lotion. Day one I would do 16 bantu knots, day 2 8 knots and 4 knots on day 3. Then I started over again. I never got the hang off not having to do my hair everyday!! lol

Thank you for the detailed pics and steps, this is very helpful

ZLUVSNEWZEE

Leslie_C said:
OP,

:yep: Thats what I was thinking(what NappyNelle sad)...your regimen is very protein heavy. I suggest ORS Replenishing conditioner, Silk Elements Mixes Silk, One N Only Argan oil hair mask, and a good cheapy one is Aussie Moist 3 minute deeep. You may want to switch to a sulfate free shampoo...the Garnier conditioner is good, but the shampoo is probably stripping. Your hair may be breaking from too much protein. I would leave all the proten out for a couple of weeks and do moisture only to see if you can tilt the balance more in the other direction.

If I am doing my bantu knots right after washing or cowashing, I put in my leave in and seal...then when it is almost dry I will add a little holding product and do my knots-sometimes taliah waajid curl cream, sometimes a wrap lotion. then each night to re-knot I would M&S as I go to do the knots.

Does your hair like the giovanni? How does it feel? It is popular, but my hair didnt like it at all. It has taken a lot of trial and error to find the right products for my hair!

I like the Giovanni, I love the way it feels to the touch but I haven't noticed how my hair really feels with it. Thanks for the awesome tips. When you reknot do you only m and s or do you use more holding stuff?

ZLUVSNEWZEE

smwrigh3 said:

I'm definitely going to incorporate your methods of doing less knots throughout the week. This sounds better for breakage and less time consuming

Leslie_C

I like the Giovanni, I love the way it feels to the touch but I haven't noticed how my hair really feels with it. Thanks for the awesome tips. When you reknot do you only m and s or do you use more holding stuff?

No, but I probably should because they dont hold for crap lol. Im just more worried about moisture than anything and I feel adding gel or setting lotion all the time will lead to build up and dryness.

I'm definitely going to incorporate your methods of doing less knots throughout the week. This sounds better for breakage and less time consuming

I like here idea too! Im gonna try that on for size!