Based on his hair, cashier asked my son if a white lady was his mom!

*Michelle*

This cashier in the BSS asked my son (almost 21) if the white women next to him was his mom? :eek: And wait... when he said no, she asked what are you mixed with and on whose side because you have some beautiful hair :eek: I was reading a brochure, nearby, and trying to stay out of it.. but before you know it I whipped my head around and snappily replied he is MY son and he is NOT mixed with anything and walked out!! Geez the nerve of some people!

The kicker...the cashier was black! She presumed by the texture of his hair, which ironically is not too far off from mine, that he is mixed. When are "WE" going to learn that we come in all different colors and textures:confused: :confused: My poor son is probably soooo embarrassed, I'm sure when he comes home from work he is gonna give me a good talkin' too :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: (Now this picture was about a yr ago...its hard to get a current pic...but you get the idea)

MoMo

Some people need to step outside of their neighborhood and see the world. You have a very handsome son...anyone ever say he looks like Ludacris?

BeetleBug

The nerve of some people. It is a shame that some people do not realize that our hair comes in so many ranges of beautiful textures just like our skin tones. Your son is cute.:)

*Michelle*

MoMo said:
Some people need to step outside of their neighborhood and see the world. You have a very handsome son...anyone ever say he looks like Ludacris?

Now that he does get a lot...LOL! Especially when he had a fade.

I guess I was just venting, I just don't understand why a black women, who I know was at least mid thirties would ask a young man something like that...just seems weird to me!

Thanks ladies!

Missi

I know exactly how you feel but I went thru just the opposite....on my dad side of the family, his mom and her mom and family is native american decent, now my dad hair has the native texture and my mothers hair has the kinky texture....i have my mothers hair and when I was younger my friends thought I was lying when I said I'm part native american because my hair wasn't long or straight:(

*Michelle*

WillyGWifey said:
I know exactly how you feel but I went thru just the opposite....on my dad side of the family, his mom and her mom and family is native american decent, now my dad hair has the native texture and my mothers hair has the kinky texture....i have my mothers hair and when I was younger my friends thought I was lying when I said I'm part native american because my hair wasn't long or straight:(

Awww:(

We do have to educate our children also. I know we are here but IRL people need to educate their kids as well!

XXXtacy

Wow a handsome son.

Some black are confused when they see a youn man with his hair comb and looking like someone actually cares how he looks. I saw a couple young men today from 1 - 21 I wanted to take a comb to their head.:lol: You are right we come in different colors and hair textures. We all don't look like Niko.

sowhut

I can understand other races not understanding the different variations of hair and complexions of Blacks, but i am always amazed and disappointed when blacks dont understand this themselves:confused:

autumnbeauty29

Sorry that happened to your son and you. A rude awakening for him of how some of us think about 'colors'. We of any race should know that there are many different shades within- all beautiful. Goes to show that some of us are still "light skin"/"dark skin" & "good hair"/"bad hair" struck! I'm always amazed at some comments I hear.

Last edited: