Bathtub Issues?!

beans4reezy

Since joining LHCF I of course have upped my DC game considerably. While this is beneficial for my hair, it hasn't been for my bath tub. Because of all the conditioner I use, I think my bathtub pipes are getting clogged -- it takes like 15 - 20 mins for my water to go down the drain. I have attempted to wash and DC in th kitchen sink- same thing....water collects and has a hard time draining. DH is sick of it...but what am I supposed to do? My hair is not BSL yet, and until it is....I'm going hard! How do you ladies deal with plumbing issues after making the decision to embark on your HHJ?

SmilingElephant

I use bleach...like Drano...but i let it sit in the drain overnight and then follow with hot water for 30 seconds the following day.

BioGeekChic

I also recommend you try zip-it. It works wonders whenever my drain starts to slow down I use it to pull all the hair out and I have a free flowing drain again.

dlewis

I use something called Liquid Fire on my drains. I can hear it working. I don't have to use it often and I always clean the hair out the drain about once a week.

mscocoface

You need also one of those hair catchers to put in the drain everytime you DC. You do have hair going down the drain as well as the conditioner. You can get those at WalMart or Home Depot. This thing has been a lifesaver for me and my cowashing, particularly in the summer months.

Here is mention of it in another post.
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=274539

Here is a picture of it.

http://www.boscovs.com/StoreFrontWeb/Product.bos?quantity=1&itemNumber=29898&type=Product

Here are some other items as well as the drain catcher that you may be interested in.

http://www.nextag.com/shower-drain-hair/stores-html

beans4reezy

This is EXCELLENT ladies!!!! Keep 'em coming...I thought I was going to have to find some where else to wash!

brucebettye

What I do when my drain gets clogged up with my hair is I just pull the hair out since my hair wraps itself around the top of my drain.

vkb247

My drain was really bad so I used Drano and now I use the baking soda and vinegar followed by boiling water every time I wash my hair.

CurlyMoo

Oh I feel your pain. :yep: I keep clogging my bathtub and bathroom sink. I got maintenance on my 5 favorites. :ohwell:

arosieworld

Thanks 4 our nail *****!
Get a 6 pack of coka-cola and pour it down the sink. If the clog is really bad use more.
Not a 2-liter the carbination is funny
Not a off brand.
There is a reason that stuff will eat your teeth.

hillytmj

You need also one of those hair catchers to put in the drain everytime you DC. You do have hair going down the drain as well as the conditioner. You can get those at WalMart or Home Depot. This thing has been a lifesaver for me and my cowashing, particularly in the summer months.

That's exactly what I was thinking - you shed hairs are clogging up the drain more than the conditioner is.

Lyoness

IA with the sink strainer/hair catcher girls.. We use them in the kitchen sink also.. they work wonders you just knock out what its caught in the bin.. I like using the strainer when washing my hair it helps me keep an eye on how much hair I shed

truthbetold

Oh girl, I thought I was the only one. Its just become a part of my regie to pour a full bottle of draino down the drain once a week--and I don't even have that much hair. I don't know how white people do it.

Jetblackhair

IA with the sink strainer/hair catcher girls.. We use them in the kitchen sink also.. they work wonders you just knock out what its caught in the bin.. I like using the strainer when washing my hair it helps me keep an eye on how much hair I shed

Me too! I was more concerned with how much hair was coming from my head versus the clogged drain. :lachen:

Mook's hair

I second the baking soda and vinegar....works like a charm everytime. Simple, yet effective. :yep:

Same here. I usually spoon a lot of baking soda into the dry drain first and then pour in the vinegar. an hour later, I follow with hot water and then the next day after lost of water has run through it - bleach.

MzPrince

I use this but it can't fit it down in my drain so I turn it the opposite way and it sits over the drain and the drain plug and it stops the hair from going down the drain just as well as if it was sitting down in the drain.