My bathtub drain is CLOGGED with hair

Glib Gurl

So now that I'm co-washing almost daily, my bathtub drain is totally clogged . . . I end up standing in a tub full of water and it's just gross. Even my tried-and-true baking soda and vinegar method isn't getting the job done.

I really really really do NOT want to use a snake or anything like that . . . I'm afraid of what I might pull up! I think I'm going to try using some nair or neat . . . I've read online that putting that down the drain and letting it sit for 30 minutes can do the trick.

I've also read that if you put some liquid Dawn down the drain and then use a plunger, that helps also.

Any thoughts or other tips?

naturalagain2

A plunger may work. Depends on how your tub is situated. That worked for me. Once you get it cleared though make sure you get a good hair trapper that won't come up even with the force of water, so no hair can escape because the next time it will not be as easy to clear.

Last edited:

Almaz

Just use a snake and get some Drano Okay. Dear heart does this really warrant a thread? Just use the snake and get some drano. Liquid Plumbr. And be sure to save this so the next time you have a problem you can look back for an answer. Then get a hair trapper. DONE

Honi

There is no board.
I wish I saved a pic of the hair that I pulled out of my drain. It was scary :lachen: I never think to remove the cap and check so I estimate that it must have been collecting and growing for >6 months. The hair wad was hanging on by a couple of hairs wrapped around the grid in the floor :giggle:

There was someone on the board that bought some cheapie contraption to grab the hair out of the drain. Lemme see if i can find it.

Honi

There is no board.
It's called a ZipIT (not expensive and you can get it at one of the big box stores). It doesn't go far down there but at least you can use this as a maintenance tool after you snake :yep:

http://zipitclean.com/

Last edited:

Glib Gurl

Dposh167

Clorox has a drain gel thats safe for all pipes. Just like drano. That baking soda vinegar plunger aint doing nothing for a stubborn drain of hair. I just cleared my tub 3 weeks ago cuz my hair cligged it so bad it was taking literally 24 hours for the water to clear

AmyRose92

And as one poster said above, to prevent this from happening again, use a hair stopper! They sell them at Home Depot, some supermarkets, and there are definitely some online. Good luck!

shae101s

I use a zig-zagged stick...the Zip-It stick (thx to post above, I now know the name of it, lol) to remove the excess hair, then I do the ACV/Baking soda miracle worker..by pouring some baking soda in the drain, then using either apple cider vinegar or the regular vinegar, I pour about a teacup full over the baking soda in the drain, cover it with a stopper for about 1.5 mins or more, then rinse away with hot water..and voila, no hair! no dirt, no grime! All clean, all natural, and super easy :)

Solitude

It's gross, but I use a hanger to pull the hair out. Mine rarely clogs, but I'd rather physically remove the clog than use Drano. That zip-it thing looks like it would do the trick.

RayRayFurious

Sally's and Beauty Supply stores have a liquid hair remover. It's for professional salons.

But honestly, the ZipIt (my super hairy fiance swears by it) or the snake is going to be your bet if Drano doesn't work.

Glib Gurl

And as one poster said above, to prevent this from happening again, use a hair stopper! They sell them at Home Depot, some supermarkets, and there are definitely some online. Good luck!

Actually I do use a hair stopper . . . so yeah. It's THAT serious :nono:

SmilingElephant

How did you go about using the Drano tho?

I pour it in and let it sit for an hour or until I'm almost ready. Then I run the scalding hot water for about a minute.

You sound like you need a plunger tho. :yep:

Bleach works just as well...but I use that on minor clogs.

AuNaturalMaMa

This is so deja vu for me. I ended up calling maintenance cause @ the time I lived in an apartment. But mine happened from CW like daily. After that I got a hair trapper. Now I wash my hair in my sink and use a trapper too. Even still I'll run the garbage disposal and do the baking soda and acv thing.

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
The zip-it thing is less than $5 at Home Depot. Its a single use thing. Be sure to wear gloves as the teeth are a little sharp. But it grabs everything in less than 3-4 minutes. Beware that some drains may require a screwdriver to remove the cover,

Whimsy

Ladies, I'm telling you, I've done Drano, Liquid Plumber, etc. to NO avail . . . just a waste of money when it comes to my tub :nono:

Go to the hardware store. Ask for the industrial strength stuff. It'll work. It's a bottle of "no frills" stuff and it's potent. PLEASE wear a scarf over your mouth n nose before you pour it down there.

SmilingElephant

This is so deja vu for me. I ended up calling maintenance cause @ the time I lived in an apartment. But mine happened from CW like daily. After that I got a hair trapper. Now I wash my hair in my sink and use a trapper too. Even still I'll run the garbage disposal and do the baking soda and acv thing.

Sorry this is OT...but how do you wash alllllllllllllllllll that hair in the sink??:shocked:

diadall

This happened to me in my bathroom sink. Since I comb my hair in front of the sink I guess a lot of my hair went down the drain.

I thought I was going to have to call someone because the water was would take so long to go down the drain.

All I had to do was unscrew the plating (stopper) and there is a prong in there. I basically took a skewer (like the ones for kabobs) and pulled the hair from the prongs. It was gross but kind of soothing (I like making stuff clean).

I noticed this worked for my bathtub as well. I was stopped up with feather boa pieces after a Halloweeen party.