Beauty Supply Store Not Open to the Public

sunshinelady

I went into this beauty supply store that said "we do not sell to the public" on the door, so I asked if I could just look around. Do you know that they wouldn't even let me look around! What if they have Dominican products?!? It felt like Jim Crow. :sad:

Why would they do this? How can they stay afloat? Anyone know the deal?

yeah,
we have one of those around here
it's exclusively for licensed cosmetologists
i went in w/ my cousin one time (she's a hairdresser)

there's a big sign on the door that says
"must have license!"

ha.
good thing they didnt have too much of anything *I* was interested in lol

Dang and I was ready to throw down....

de103962576290075e38d2e49299eca0.gif

They are for licensed beauty professionals only and make their money from them. A lot of the products that are used, and sold to clients, in salons come from there. Most of the ones that I've seen carry a small amount of ethnic product lines. I don't recall ever seeing any dominican products in any of them. I have seen the Mizani line, but it's mostly, Paul Mitchell, Matrix, Tigi, Rusk, Joico, OPI, etc...

They are for licensed beauty professionals only and make their money from them. A lot of the products that are used, and sold to clients, in salons come from there. Most of the ones that I've seen carry a small amount of ethnic product lines. I don't recall ever seeing any dominican products in any of them. I have seen the Mizani line, but it's mostly, Paul Mitchell, Matrix, Tigi, Rusk, Joico, OPI, etc...

Are they different formulations than what we buy in Sally's, etc?

Aww thanks sis! No need, but I've been trying to think of who I know that has a cosmetologist license, so I can get in there. It's just curiosity now. :spinning:

If someone is a licensed Barber, Nail Technician, Esthetician, Braider or a Salon Owner and in some cases a student enrolled in an accredited school in the cosmetology field, then they can shop at those BSS.

Are they different formulations than what we buy in Sally's, etc?

They carry different brands. Here's a tidbit of info, Sally's owns a lot of those stores and make an effort to carry professional salon brands at those stores and not at their Sally stores. I don't recall seeing the high-end professional lines in Sally's. I've seen a few Wella products in Sally's in my area.

They carry different brands. Here's a tidbit of info, Sally's owns a lot of those stores and make an effort to carry professional salon brands at those stores and not at their Sally stores. I don't recall seeing the high-end professional lines in Sally's. I've seen a few Wella products in Sally's in my area.

Crossing fingers, crossing fingers-um Mestiza dahling, have you noticed the Wella keratin oil there by chance?

:grin: Thanks so much-I have searched high and low for this stuff and can't locate it(at least in the U.S.) It's personal now:look:

There is a store like that by me and the pjism in me feels like the girl no one danced with at the party. I just want to see what they have. i have to find me a cosmotologist so I can just see what they have.

:grin: Thanks so much-I have searched high and low for this stuff and can't locate it(at least in the U.S.) It's personal now:look:

YW! ;)

I just checked and it's supposed to be available in the US. When you go to Sally's, ask if they can order it for you.

^^^ I will but I know more about what's supposed to be at my local Sally's than the folx working there. I had to prove to the clerk that they carried good hair days pins and show the girl where they were located, then EXPLAIN what a Pibbs dryer was-LOL:rolleyes:

^^^ I will but I know more about what's supposed to be at my local Sally's than the folx working there. I had to prove to the clerk that they carried good hair days pins and show the girl where they were located, then EXPLAIN what a Pibbs dryer was-LOL:rolleyes:

I checked their website and it's not on there. A manager may be able to put in a special order for you.

I can relate to your experience. :yep: Sometimes, when I'm in there I feel like an employee minus the pay. A lot of their employees are not aware of their own inventory and I won't even get into the little knowledge that some of them have regarding hair care. I've heard them give some customers horrible advice. Not to be rude, but I have spoken up b/c I don't want to see anyone destroy their hair. :nono:

I checked their website and it's not on there. A manager may be able to put in a special order for you.

I can relate to your experience. :yep: Sometimes, when I'm in there I feel like an employee minus the pay. A lot of their employees are not aware of their own inventory and I won't even get into the little knowledge that some of them have regarding hair care. I've heard them give some customers horrible advice. Not to be rude, but I have spoken up b/c I don't want to see anyone destroy their hair. :nono:

ITA and I'll be sure and ask-thanks for the tip.

You just made me remember the time I went in there and asked one of those knuckleheads to recommend a setting lotion. I HATED that stuff. IDK what I was thinking that day but in my defense it was way earlier this year-now I know better

There is a store in my area that sells mostly black own salon products such as BBD,Joyce Williams,Taliwad,Essations,Remedi etc
They also sell Mizani,Affirm,Silk-Moistec- keracare,CB Smoothie,Prime Hairmender etc.
I think it depends on who you know and where you live because I get products half price and I dont have a license.:sekret:

Last edited:
There is a store in my area that sells mostly black own salon products such as BBD,Joyce Williams,Taliwad,Essations,Remedi etc
They also sell Mizani,Affirm,Silk-Moistec- keracare,CB Smoothie,Prime Hairmender etc.
I think it depends on who you know and where you live because I get products half price and I dont have a license.:sekret:

I also know a BSS that sells those hard to find lines back home and online. Choice Beauty Supply. There are only 2 BSS on my side of town other than Sally's and they don't sell to the public. I have drive drive a little ways out to go to a BSS that sells Dudleys, Mizani, Keracare etc. I don't shop there much though.

There are a couple in my area. The had mizani, affirm, all the premium brands and at really good prices. I would get a bucket of affirm for $25, if it was a sale $20. This is the 4 lb. Mizani 30 oz was $10. I was really friendly with the cashiers and they would just sell me the stuff. I went back and they had this new girl and a new system. So I haven't been able to get my fix. Dang!!!

MV

If someone is a licensed Barber, Nail Technician, Esthetician, Braider or a Salon Owner and in some cases a student enrolled in an accredited school in the cosmetology field, then they can shop at those BSS.

For me when i go into these because i have this card that says i am able to come in there. Anyways i don't find it any different than some of these BSS or Ulta like stores.

Its nothing like Sally's....It's more of a professional line carrier. You can buy everything in bigger sizes. Like in Chicago area we have Cosmoprof which is open to public but in order to get the good discounts you have to be licensed or a student.

Some items are a bit pricey but its all how you see. I usually have to shop in between...depending on my needs

:lachen::lachen: @ Jim Crow! I buy from a couple places online that say you have to have license, but don't ask for any verification at checkout time.

I wouldn't be able to go walk,drive near that store everyday without feeling abit irritated.

A BSS under wraps? They must got that good conditioner in there! How long do you have to school to become a licensed cosmotologist :lachen:?

What's worse is the Sally's near my house. They have KeraCare products sitting on the shelf taunting me because I can't buy them!

That's OK... I found a source... but it would be nice not to have to pay $10 shipping on that 5lb. tub of Humecto.

Back