Because I asked....

janiebaby

I asked God's Holy Spirit to counsel me and I hope I'm led by that Spirit and not my own.....

Here goes, Have any of you read the Bible and one theme just kept jumping up at you over and over again almost like the whole book was written on this one topic???

This is what has been happening with me lately and I didn't think it was a big deal I just thought that I've just been noticing it alot more lately because I've been in the Bible alot more lately so it made sense.

The theme that keeps coming up is idolatry. Please don't ask me why but everytime I open the Bible these days I keep reading warnings against idolatry.

Let me give you my background and how I feel that blessed that I've been exposed to certain things in now and in the past that helps me see things for what they are quicker than I would've without the experience and wisdom that God continues to bless me with (I just need to listen more to His voice and see what He wants me to see) God is awesome!!!!!!!!!

I have had a very open upbringing and I have always known of God and felt His presence. BUT I didn't understand and didn't want to understand because I thought that I would be bound by my understanding and I would never get to have fun (um, I haven't had much fun in my life without Him anyway, go figure!).

Now I was baptized as a baby in the AME church but, as a teenager and young adult, I dabbled in witchcraft, voodoo, and worst of all orisa, santeria (practiced by alot of Hispanic Catholics) and the occult (not the witchcraft practiced by caucasian people). Why are these two the worst of all you ask??? Let me tell you, these three blend Christianity with their worship practices. Orisa gave birth to santeria. Santeria is the worship of Saints, people read the Bible and say prayers to God and their saints. In the occult, which is a watered down version of voodoo and santeria, people read the Psalms, the shopowners will even try to convince you that the Bible condones magic!

These are the passages I believe God led me to last night...

2 Kings 17:27-41

27Then the king of Assyria commanded, saying, Carry thither one of the priests whom ye brought from thence; and let them go and dwell there, and let him teach them the manner of the God of the land.

28Then one of the priests whom they had carried away from Samaria came and dwelt in Bethel, and taught them how they should fear the LORD.

29Howbeit every nation made gods of their own, and put them in the houses of the high places which the Samaritans had made, every nation in their cities wherein they dwelt.

30And the men of Babylon made Succothbenoth, and the men of Cuth made Nergal, and the men of Hamath made Ashima,

31And the Avites made Nibhaz and Tartak, and the Sepharvites burnt their children in fire to Adrammelech and Anammelech, the gods of Sepharvaim.

32So they feared the LORD, and made unto themselves of the lowest of them priests of the high places, which sacrificed for them in the houses of the high places.

33They feared the LORD, and served their own gods, after the manner of the nations whom they carried away from thence.

34Unto this day they do after the former manners: they fear not the LORD, neither do they after their statutes, or after their ordinances, or after the law and commandment which the LORD commanded the children of Jacob, whom he named Israel;

35With whom the LORD had made a covenant, and charged them, saying, Ye shall not fear other gods, nor bow yourselves to them, nor serve them, nor sacrifice to them:

36But the LORD, who brought you up out of the land of Egypt with great power and a stretched out arm, him shall ye fear, and him shall ye worship, and to him shall ye do sacrifice.

37And the statutes, and the ordinances, and the law, and the commandment, which he wrote for you, ye shall observe to do for evermore; and ye shall not fear other gods.

38And the covenant that I have made with you ye shall not forget; neither shall ye fear other gods.

39But the LORD your God ye shall fear; and he shall deliver you out of the hand of all your enemies.

40Howbeit they did not hearken, but they did after their former manner.
41So these nations feared the LORD, and served their graven images, both their children, and their children's children: as did their fathers, so do they unto this day.

Let me tell you this....I renounced all of these things almost three years ago and you know what I noticed? The devil will try more ways than one to trick you and when you take up your sword and stand by the back door waiting to cut him down he'll come in through the front and overtake you.

In this very forum, I have practiced idolatry in LOA and Calling in the One. You know how? Because of the sin of pride which tells us that we can do things on our own. Well if you can do things on our own where is the need for God? I remember thinking that I would apply LOA principles to my walk as a Christian and some may still think that but do not be deceived all it did was lead me away from God because I had placed my faith in me and not in Him. You see the devil knew he couldn't come at me by getting me to worship other gods (me standing at the back door) so he got me to worship me (pride overtaking me through the front door). I am so glad that God intervened and opened my eyes to what was happening.

Aint He good yall?
Make me wanna holla throw up both my hands!!! :dance7:

Last edited:

Nice & Wavy

I asked God's Holy Spirit to counsel me and I hope I'm led by that Spirit and not my own.....

Here goes, Have any of you read the Bible and one theme just kept jumping up at you over and over again almost like the whole book was written on this one topic???

This is what has been happening with me lately and I didn't think it was a big deal I just thought that I've just been noticing it alot more lately because I've been in the Bible alot more lately so it made sense.

The theme that keeps coming up is idolatry. Please don't ask me why but everytime I open the Bible these days I keep reading warnings against idolatry.

Let me give you my background and how I feel that blessed that I've been exposed to certain things in now and in the past that helps me see things for what they are quicker than I would've without the experience and wisdom that God continues to bless me with (I just need to listen more to His voice and see what He wants me to see) God is awesome!!!!!!!!!

I have had a very open upbringing and I have always known of God and felt His presence. BUT I didn't understand and didn't want to understand because I thought that I would be bound by my understanding and I would never get to have fun (um, I haven't had much fun in my life without Him anyway, go figure!).

Now I was baptized as a baby in the AME church but, as a teenager and young adult, I dabbled in witchcraft, voodoo, and worst of all orisa, santeria (practiced by alot of Hispanic Catholics) and the occult (not the witchcraft practiced by caucasian people). Why are these two the worst of all you ask??? Let me tell you, these three blend Christianity with their worship practices. Orisa gave birth to santeria. Santeria is the worship of Saints, people read the Bible and say prayers to God and their saints. In the occult, which is a watered down version of voodoo and santeria, people read the Psalms, the shopowners will even try to convince you that the Bible condones magic!

These are the passages I believe God led me to last night...

2 Kings 17:27-41

27Then the king of Assyria commanded, saying, Carry thither one of the priests whom ye brought from thence; and let them go and dwell there, and let him teach them the manner of the God of the land.

28Then one of the priests whom they had carried away from Samaria came and dwelt in Bethel, and taught them how they should fear the LORD.

29Howbeit every nation made gods of their own, and put them in the houses of the high places which the Samaritans had made, every nation in their cities wherein they dwelt.

30And the men of Babylon made Succothbenoth, and the men of Cuth made Nergal, and the men of Hamath made Ashima,

31And the Avites made Nibhaz and Tartak, and the Sepharvites burnt their children in fire to Adrammelech and Anammelech, the gods of Sepharvaim.

32So they feared the LORD, and made unto themselves of the lowest of them priests of the high places, which sacrificed for them in the houses of the high places.

33They feared the LORD, and served their own gods, after the manner of the nations whom they carried away from thence.

34Unto this day they do after the former manners: they fear not the LORD, neither do they after their statutes, or after their ordinances, or after the law and commandment which the LORD commanded the children of Jacob, whom he named Israel;

35With whom the LORD had made a covenant, and charged them, saying, Ye shall not fear other gods, nor bow yourselves to them, nor serve them, nor sacrifice to them:

36But the LORD, who brought you up out of the land of Egypt with great power and a stretched out arm, him shall ye fear, and him shall ye worship, and to him shall ye do sacrifice.

37And the statutes, and the ordinances, and the law, and the commandment, which he wrote for you, ye shall observe to do for evermore; and ye shall not fear other gods.

38And the covenant that I have made with you ye shall not forget; neither shall ye fear other gods.

39But the LORD your God ye shall fear; and he shall deliver you out of the hand of all your enemies.

40Howbeit they did not hearken, but they did after their former manner.
41So these nations feared the LORD, and served their graven images, both their children, and their children's children: as did their fathers, so do they unto this day.

Let me tell you this....I renounced all of these things almost three years ago and you know what I noticed? The devil will try more ways than one to trick you and when you take up your sword and stand by the back door waiting to cut him down he'll come in through the front and overtake you.

In this very forum, I have practiced idolatry in LOA and Calling in the One. You know how? Because of the sin of pride which tells us that we can do things on our own. Well if you can do things on our own where is the need for God? I remember thinking that I would apply LOA principles to my walk as a Christian and some may still think that but do not be deceived all it did was lead me away from God because I had placed my faith in me and not in Him. You see the devil knew he couldn't come at me by getting me to worship other gods (me standing at the back door) so he got me to worship me (pride overtaking me through the front door). I am so glad that God intervened and opened my eyes to what was happening.

Aint He good yall?

He is good...all the time!

Thanks for sharing your story and how God has shown you these things.

He is awesome!

gradygirl

Thats a wonderful testimony!!! I love how God does things. I thank God for what he revealed to you and I thank God that you had an humble enough spirit to recieve what he was teaching you and that you shared it with us. This makes me want to examine myself.

janiebaby

Thats a wonderful testimony!!! I love how God does things. I thank God for what he revealed to you and I thank God that you had an humble enough spirit to recieve what he was teaching you and that you shared it with us. This makes me want to examine myself.

I hope my experience helps someone else and hopefully that person will seek God to help them find His way.

kbragg

I hope my experience helps someone else and hopefully that person will seek God to help them find His way.

Your testimony is a true blessing and one that is much needed. A lot of Christians, when they here the word "idolatry" they think graven images and human sacrifice and such. What they don't realize is idolatry is placing anything in your mind above the Truth of God's Word. Fear can be an idol, television, food, children, a spouse, cleaing, work, business. A lot of churches are guilt of idolatry because they are preaching and teaching a gospel and a Jesus that doesn't exsist. Jesus and His disciples never charged a dime to serve the people, yet these "pulpit pimps" are charging $207 for a prayer shawl:nono: and deceiving the masses leading thousands to hell.

Thank you sister for being bold enough to share your testimony.:yep:

star

God is so good. Just keeping anointing yourself with oil, reading word and praying to God. He is really guiding your path. Thanks so much for sharing.

la929

Aint He good yall?

I know I am a little late, but thank you so very much for posting this. I was reading the LOA 'testimony' thread last night, wondering what LOA was. The more I read the more interested I became in the LOA concept, but then I thought to myself something just doesn't feel right about this, at least for me personally. I did not realize it then, but everything you said is true! The Holy Spirit was telling my heart that this is not for me. I am so happy you wrote this, however late I am in reading it.

Amen Janiebaby! Aaaaaamen!

I laugh at ppl's LOA enthusiasm. I'm like NOTHING IS NEW UNDER THE SON. You mean to tell me that people had to get on t.v., appear on Oprah, and make a movie to tell you to think positivily and things will change in your life. That goes without saying. The devil can do anything God can do in the carnal. My uncle who was 2 steps from becoming a preacher called me excited about this. I said you have GOT to me kidding me. So for each bullet of new wisdom he gave me I hit him off with a scripture. I shut him right on up! I was like look to the hills from which cometh your help...not The Secret! :spinning:

...janiebaby, you blessed I ain't know you years ago dippin in voodoo. I'd find a stool (bc you're taller then me) climb up on it and slap some Jesus into you! :grin: Love ya girl!

Sui Topi

Aint He good yall?

This hits home with me because its what my mom is really trying to do. She bought us all copies of the secret and I havent opened mine once. I told her it goes against my beliefs and guess what? She got tired of me challenging it with a "thus saith the Lord" and she went out and bought me a book called "the secret things of God" which is a christian version. She just doesnt get it. These schools of thought are sooooo different. You cannot serve two masters! I continue to pray for her though because she is such a kind and generous woman, she would do wonders with God's work.

Nice & Wavy

This hits home with me because its what my mom is really trying to do. She bought us all copies of the secret and I havent opened mine once. I told her it goes against my beliefs and guess what? She got tired of me challenging it with a "thus saith the Lord" and she went out and bought me a book called "the secret things of God" which is a christian version. She just doesnt get it. These schools of thought are sooooo different.
You cannot serve two masters
! I continue to pray for her though because she is such a kind and generous woman, she would do wonders with God's work.

This is the key. You will either hate one and love the other, or cling to one and despise the other.