Let's Tear Down These Idols

HeChangedMyName

Would anyone be interested in partnering together to do a study on tearing down idols? It may be short. . .it may be long. I believe it would behoove us all to recognize our idols and destruct them. The last thing we need to do is stand before the Lord and say "but I didn't know. . . ."

What is the definition of idolatry?
http://www.gotquestions.org/idolatry-definition.html

The definition of idolatry, according to Webster, is “the worship of idols or excessive devotion to, or reverence for some person or thing.” An idol is anything that replaces the one, true God. The most prevalent form of idolatry in Bible times was the worship of images that were thought to embody the various pagan deities.

From the beginning, God’s covenant with Israel was based on exclusive worship of Him alone (Exodus 20:3; Deuteronomy 5:7). The Israelites were not even to mention the names of false gods (Exodus 23:13) because to do so would acknowledge their existence and give credence to their power and influence over the people. Israel was forbidden to intermarry with other cultures who embraced false gods, because God knew this would lead to compromise. The book of Hosea uses the imagery of adultery to describe Israel’s continual chasing after other gods, like an unfaithful wife chases after other men. The history of Israel is a sad chronicle of idol worship, punishment, restoration and forgiveness, followed by a return to idolatry. The books of 1 & 2 Samuel, 1 & 2 Kings, and 1 & 2 Chronicles reveal this destructive pattern. The Old Testament prophets endlessly prophesied dire consequences for Israel if they continued in their idolatry. Mostly, they were ignored until it was too late and God’s wrath against idol-worship was poured out on the nation. But ours is a merciful God, and He never failed to forgive and restore them when they repented and sought His forgiveness.

In reality, idols are impotent blocks of stone or wood, and their power exists only in the minds of the worshipers. The idol of the god Dagon was twice knocked to the floor by God to show the Philistines just who was God and who wasn’t (1 Samuel 5:1-5). The “contest” between God and His prophet Elijah and the 450 prophets of Baal on Mount Carmel is a dramatic example of the power of the true God and the impotence of false gods (1 Kings 18:19-40). The testimony of Scripture is that God alone is worthy of worship. Idol worship robs God of the glory that is rightfully His, and that is something He will not tolerate (Isaiah 42:8).

Even today there are religions that bow before statues and icons, a practice forbidden by God’s Word. The significance God places upon it is reflected in the fact that the first of the Ten Commandments refers to idolatry: “You shall have no other gods before me. You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me” (Exodus 20:3-5).

Idolatry extends beyond the worship of idols and images and false gods. Our modern idols are many and varied. Even for those who do not bow physically before a statue, idolatry is a matter of the heart—pride, self-centeredness, greed, gluttony, a love for possessions and ultimately rebellion against God. Is it any wonder that God hates it?

This idea just came to me over the course of the past 24 hours so I don't have any difinitive plan or scriptures yet. But I do know that God will instruct and help those of us who are seeking to move things from our lives that we have made idols.

We may all have things in our lives that we don't even realize that we have turned into idols, I believe that with prayer, fasting, studying, intercession, etc. we can tear down these things.

Whose with me?

And ye shall overthrow their altars, and break their pillars, and burn their groves with fire; and ye shall hew down the graven images of their gods, and destroy the names of them out of that place. Deut 12:3

Last edited:

HeChangedMyName

http://www.acts17-11.com/idolatry.html

When Anything or Anybody Gets What God Alone Deserves

Ex 20:3-4 (NIV) "You shall have no other gods before me. You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below."

God destroys idols; He is the great iconoclast. Even good things can become idols, and while reveling and boasting seem good at the time, it is a grave disservice to idolize anything or anybody. The result is God's wrath, on you and the idol. God will not be eclipsed.
2 Ki 18:3-4 (Amp) Hezekiah did right in the sight of the Lord... He broke in pieces the bronze serpent that Moses had made, for until then the Israelites had burned incense to it; but he called it Nehushtan [a brazen trifle].
James 4:5 (Jer) Surely you don't think the Scripture is wrong when it says: the spirit which He sent to live in us wants us for himself alone?

The Lust For Idols--A Matter of The Heart

James 4:3-4 (Phi) You don't get what you want because you don't ask God for it. And when you do ask he doesn't give it to you, for you ask in quite the wrong spirit--you only want to satisfy your own desires. You are like unfaithful wives, never realizing that to be the world's lover means becoming the enemy of God! Anyone who chooses to be the world's friend is thereby making himself God's enemy.

Col 3:5-6 (Jer) That is why you must kill everything in you that belongs only to earthly life: fornication, impurity, guilty passion, evil desires and especially greed, which is the same thing as worshipping a false god. All this sort of behavior makes God angry. (Eph 5:5)

Eze 6:8-9 (NIV) "...How I have been grieved by their adulterous hearts, which have turned away from me, and by their eyes, which have lusted after their idols. They will loathe themselves for the evil they have done and for all their detestable practices."

Deut 29:18 (NIV) Make sure there is no man or woman, clan or tribe among you today whose heart turns away from the Lord our God to go and worship the gods of those nations; make sure there is no root among you that produces such bitter poison. (See also through verse 29.)

But Everyone Else Is Doing It...

2 Ki 17:15 (NIV) They rejected his decrees and the covenant he had made with their fathers and the warnings he had given them. They followed worthless idols and themselves became worthless. They imitated the nations around them although the Lord had ordered them, "Do not do as they do," and they did the things the Lord had forbidden them to do.

2 Ki 17:40-41 (NIV) They would not listen, however, but persisted in their former practices. Even while these people were worshipping the Lord, they were serving their idols. To this day their children and grandchildren continue to do as their fathers did.

1 Cor 10:7 (NIV) Do not be idolaters, as some of them were; as it is written: "The people sat down to eat and drink and got up to indulge in pagan revelry."

Public Image--Making Idols Of Men

1 Sam 15:23 (NIV) For rebellion is like the sin of divination, and arrogance like the evil of idolatry.

Acts 8:9 (NIV) Now for some time a man named Simon had practiced sorcery in the city and amazed all the people of Samaria. He boasted that he was someone great...

A.W. Tozer: "Christ calls men to carry a cross; we call them to have fun in His name. He calls them to forsake the world; we assure them that if they but accept Jesus the world is their oyster. He calls them to suffer; we call them to enjoy all the bourgeois comforts modern civilization affords. He calls them to self-abnegation and death; we call them to spread out like green bay trees or perchance even to become stars in a pitiful fifth-rate religious zodiac."
Eze 8:12 (NIV) He said to me, "Son of man, have you seen what the elders of the house of Israel are doing in the darkness, each at the shrine of his own idol?"
2 Pet 2:18 (NIV) For they mouth empty, boastful words and, by appealing to the lustful desires of sinful human nature, they entice people who are just escaping from those who live in error.

1 Cor 12:1-2 (NIV) ...I do not wish you to be ignorant... somehow or other you were influenced and led astray to dumb idols.

Isa 41:29 (NIV) "See, they are all false! Their deeds amount to nothing; their images are but wind and confusion."

Jer 2:5 (NIV) This is what the Lord says: "What fault did your fathers find in me, that they strayed so far from me? They followed worthless idols and became worthless themselves."

Ps 97:7 (NIV) All who worship images are put to shame, those who boast in idols...

1 Sam 12:21 (NIV) Do not turn away after useless idols. They can do you no good, nor can they rescue you, because they are useless.

Isa 57:12-13 (NIV) "I will expose your righteousness and your works, and they will not benefit you. When you cry out for help, let your collection [of idols] save you! The wind will carry all of them off, a mere breath will blow them away. But the man who makes me his refuge will inherit the land and possess my holy mountain."

Isa 42:8 (NIV) "I am the Lord; that is my name! I will not give my glory to another or my praise to idols."

Do We Take Idolatry As Seriously As God?

Eze 6:4-6 (NIV) "... I will slay your people in front of your idols. I will lay the dead bodies of the Israelites in front of their idols, and I will scatter your bones around your altars... your idols smashed and ruined, your incense altars broken down, and what you have made wiped out."

1 Cor 6:9-10 (NIV) Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy... (Rom 1:23-25)

Eph 5:5 (NIV) For of this you can be sure: No immoral, impure or greedy person--such a man is an idolater--has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.

HeChangedMyName

http://www.luc.edu/faculty/pmoser/idolanon/Warfare.shtml

Idols keep us from fully enjoying the loving friendship with God that alone allows us to live freely in peace, joy, and unselfish love. Because God loves us so deeply, He wants our friendship with Him for our good. It is for our sake, therefore, that He forbids idolatry. He wants us to be freed from anything that would keep us from living in the power of His love, in friendship with Him. God's love, offered by the Holy Spirit, is a spiritual power that seeks always to draw us closer to Him in trusting friendship. There are spiritual powers at work in idols that seek precisely the opposite goal: to separate us from God, to keep our attention on things that do not satisfy, and even to have us worship false gods (Deut. 32:17; Psalm 106:37; 1 Cor. 10:19-21). These dark powers are the real problem. They underwrite the imprisoning power of idols.

One powerful effect of dark powers is to keep us unaware that we are holding on to idols. Things we consider harmless or take for granted as good can mask the powers that keep us from relying on God as our ultimate source of comfort, security, and goodness. Consider, for instance, how common it is for (a) Americans to attend a sports event rather than a worship service, (b) someone to go shopping rather than to pray or worship to relieve the "blues," (c) someone to approve of academic achievements that promote an elite and exclusive intellectual class rather than to follow Jesus, or (d) someone to talk to a human friend about a serious problem before, or instead of, seeking God's guidance through prayer. People thus seek comfort in sports, shopping, education, and human relationships, among other things. What could be harmful about these things?

Anything or anyone interfering with our loving and trusting God as the ultimate provider of good things in our lives is harmful. Powers of darkness, however, do not announce themselves as harmful. They work to keep us deceived about the truth, masquerading as good (2 Cor. 11:14). It should not be surprising, then, that many of the things we consider harmless are actually harmful. We should ask whether they keep us from fully loving and trusting God for our peace and joy. We become complicit with dark powers when we hold on to idols that diminish our loving and trusting God. We are likewise complicit when we enable idolatry in others, such as when we are indifferent to idolatry in the lives of others.

Our struggle with idolatry reflects, in the end, a conflict between opposing spiritual powers: God's power of life and unselfish love versus dark powers of death and selfishness (see Eph. 6:12). The struggle concerns not so much the identified idol itself (the material object, the sought after achievement, the human person) as the dark spiritual power behind the idol. Alone, without the power of God's love, we are no match for powers of darkness. They will sift us like wheat. With God's power, however, we can be released from the destruction of our idols. Jesus shows us, in his life, death, and resurrection, how the power of his Father's merciful love shines through all darkness and overcomes even death.

The apostle Paul tells us how we can effectively receive God's liberating power and put it into practice in our lives:

Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints (Ephesians 6:10-18, NIV).
As we observe Paul's command, we find ourselves resistant to the idols that otherwise lead us to bondage and death. We find ourselves triumphant, owing to a power not our own, in the spiritual warfare over the kingdom of God's unselfish, nonviolent love. This power is centered in Jesus, the One who has triumphed over darkness and death, even for us. He alone delivers us from evil. He alone gives us life everlasting. He alone is Lord. By entering in to frienship with Jesus as Lord, we find peace and satisfaction that make idols pointless and even repulsive.

HeChangedMyName

http://gospeldrivenchurch.blogspot.com/2011/03/how-to-identify-your-idols.html

How to Identify Your Idols
David Powlison's list of questions in Seeing With New Eyes are good for a diagnostic test on our lives now and again to help us identify idols.
1. What do I worry about most?

2. What, if I failed or lost it, would cause me to feel that I did not even want to live?

3. What do I use to comfort myself when things go bad or get difficult?

4. What do I do to cope? What are my release valves? What do I do to feel better?

5. What preoccupies me? What do I daydream about?

6. What makes me feel the most self-worth? Of what am I the proudest? For what do I want to be known?

7. What do I lead with in conversations?

8. Early on what do I want to make sure that people know about me?

9. What prayer, unanswered, would make me seriously think about turning away from God?

10. What do I really want and expect out of life? What would really make me happy?

11. What is my hope for the future?

HeChangedMyName

http://www.preachingtoday.com/illustrations/2012/may/4052812.html

What is your greatest fear, and what does that say about what you really worship? Pastor Justin Buzzard uses the following assessment tool to determine which idol lurks in your heart:

Control: You know you have a control idol if your greatest nightmare is uncertainty.
Approval: You know you have an approval idol if your greatest nightmare is rejection.
Comfort: You know you have a comfort idol if your greatest nightmare is stress or demands.
Power: You know you have a power idol if your greatest nightmare is humiliation or embarrassment.

MrsHaseeb

I can't read all this at this moment but I can't wait to come back to it.

Sent from my 4G HTC Thunderbolt using LHCF

HeChangedMyName

I'm no expert, but here are some common idols that I can see us(people) having.

Relationships--we put our relationship with individuals before our relationship with God

Positions--we put our job/ministry/community positions above our role as children of God

Career--while we need to work to eat(in most cases) we put our jobs before God by devoting much more time, energy, and effort into it than we do into praise, worship, and prayer

Food--We use food to make us feel good when that's God's job

Sex--same as food, especially when there is sexual immorality involved.

Material possessions--We place so much value on our things that we lose sight of the fact that all good "things" come from God

Physical appearance--just think. . .if we put as much time into God as we do into our hair? just a thought.

LifeafterLHCF

Funny you write about this. It's something I really didn't think I had a issue with but then examining my life and thoughts I see where they are. The desire to be well off,slender,married,well known are mine. I have been reading a book on the topic of redemption and idols. It's so funny when God talks it keeps repeating softly.

HeChangedMyName

Funny you write about this. It's something I really didn't think I had a issue with but then examining my life and thoughts I see where they are. The desire to be well off,slender,married,well known are mine. I have been reading a book on the topic of redemption and idols. It's so funny when God talks it keeps repeating softly.

Meeeeee toooooooooooo.

What is the book? I might try to see if my library has it.
I'll let you in on my own personal struggle. I KNOW in my mind that God has my best interest at heart. I believe what He says in His word according to Jeremiah 29:11 and I am positive that he has the power to make everything work according to his plan.

I have a case of superwoman syndrome/busy bodyitis and I always mess things up by trying to help him get me what I want in my own time, rather than waiting. I say that because I do it with all the things that I bolded. I try the lose weight quick, get rich quick, instant fix-a-marriage in a can, etc.

I heard a sermon years ago that came from Jeremiah 29:4-14

Basically, God put Isreal in an uncomfortable place and situation, yet he still had a plan and the plan was good. My struggle is the uncomfortableness, I dont like it, I'm pretty sure I'm not suppose to like it. BUT God, has his reasons. As I look back on my life, all of the uncomforable situations have turned out to be the ones that have made me most appreciative, strong, and humble among other things.

LifeafterLHCF

Meeeeee toooooooooooo.

What is the book? I might try to see if my library has it.
I'll let you in on my own personal struggle. I KNOW in my mind that God has my best interest at heart. I believe what He says in His word according to Jeremiah 29:11 and I am positive that he has the power to make everything work according to his plan.

I have a case of superwoman syndrome/busy bodyitis and I always mess things up by trying to help him get me what I want in my own time, rather than waiting. I say that because I do it with all the things that I bolded. I try the lose weight quick, get rich quick, instant fix-a-marriage in a can, etc.

I heard a sermon years ago that came from Jeremiah 29:4-14

Basically, God put Isreal in an uncomfortable place and situation, yet he still had a plan and the plan was good. My struggle is the uncomfortableness, I dont like it, I'm pretty sure I'm not suppose to like it. BUT God, has his reasons. As I look back on my life, all of the uncomforable situations have turned out to be the ones that have made me most appreciative, strong, and humble among other things.

The book is called Redemption : freed by Jesus from the idols we worship and the wounds we carry by Mike Wilkerson. My church's recovery group is basing their sermons off this book right now and it's a awesome book. I read it before bed. I just got it but it's really hitting alot of things dead on and really challenging me to pour into the Word more.

Like you I don't like the uncomfy time frames. Being patient will not be on my list of awesome traits lol. I believed for the longest because my life was so jacked up growing up I deserved to have a better future and to get to enjoy it. Now reading this book it posed the question what if your redemption doesn't come in the packaging you desire it to be? I always clung to the Psalms 30:5 thinking well when will my morning come? Well my morning may not come with birds chirping and sun shining. My morning could come but it may be still dark or it could be cloudy. But it's a new day.

What has been on your heart as of late if you don't mind me asking? I ask because I have been seeing you around on the board alot lately and you seem to have a strong focus on a few things.

HeChangedMyName

The book is called Redemption : freed by Jesus from the idols we worship and the wounds we carry by Mike Wilkerson. My church's recovery group is basing their sermons off this book right now and it's a awesome book. I read it before bed. I just got it but it's really hitting alot of things dead on and really challenging me to pour into the Word more.

Like you I don't like the uncomfy time frames. Being patient will not be on my list of awesome traits lol. I believed for the longest because my life was so jacked up growing up I deserved to have a better future and to get to enjoy it. Now reading this book it posed the question what if your redemption doesn't come in the packaging you desire it to be? I always clung to the Psalms 30:5 thinking well when will my morning come? Well my morning may not come with birds chirping and sun shining. My morning could come but it may be still dark or it could be cloudy. But it's a new day.

What has been on your heart as of late if you don't mind me asking? I ask because I have been seeing you around on the board alot lately and you seem to have a strong focus on a few things.

I'm still working on this idea. My life too was not the best. I use to say it was jacked up from conception and on. I too felt like I was entitled to some happiness, I struggled with jealousy for a long time when I'd see other people with healthy normal childhoods grow up to have happy adulthoods and I was still stuck.

Lately, I've just been trying to work on my faith in God and trusting Him. I've had to accept that I've made mistakes and that mistakes snowball when you don't acknowledge them. I'm trying to get myself back on track according to God's plan and not my own plan.

I am dealing with the consequences of my sins in life past, i.e. children out of wedlock, marrying without counsel, being inconsistent in diet, exercise, etc.

I'm just trying to learn to give it all to God. In the chase for all these things, I managed to lose myself. I'm rediscovering who God created me to be.

Last edited:

LifeafterLHCF

I'm still working on this idea. My life too was not the best. I use to say it was jacked up from conception and on. I too felt like I was entitled to some happiness, I struggled with jealousy for a long time when I'd see other people with healthy normal childhoods grow up to have happy adulthoods and I was still stuck.

Lately, I've just been trying to work on my faith in God and trusting Him. I've had to accept that I've made mistakes and that mistakes snowball when you don't acknowledge them. I'm trying to get myself back on track according to God's plan and not my own plan.

I am dealing with the consequences of my sins in life past, i.e. children out of wedlock, marrying without counsel, being inconsistent in diet, exercise, etc.

I'm just trying to learn to give it all to God. In the chase for all these things, I managed to lose myself. I'm rediscovering who God created me to be.

Honey you preaching today. This is me too. I have to own my dirty but thank God he died for my sins because I'm jacked. I too feel most don't get it and it really made it hard to open up fully and not have a mask on with the world because I felt so unworthy to folks who had a good childhood and a good life. I am learning that everything that glitters isn't gold.

mensa

Let the church say amen!!!!!!!!!!!!

This new year, the scripture kept coming to me that says, thou shalt have no other gods before ME. I really struggle with this sin. I am ashamed that I do.

Please pray for me.

Last edited:

LifeafterLHCF

mensa there is no shame nor condemnation in Christ Jesus. Let that go now! That's how the devil gets us by putting us in shame mind set to where it saps us from our Father. There is no shame aka no power over anything once we call that thing out and give it to God.

mensa

God bless you.

When I think about all of the time that I wasted looking for the perfect diet to give me the perfect shape, skin and hair, I cringe. But no more time will I waste on things that will not count for eternity.
I found something that I would like to post on here. How do I do that?

Last edited:

HeChangedMyName

God bless you.

When I think about all of the time that I wasted looking for the perfect diet to give me the perfect shape, skin and hair, I cringe. But no more time will I waste on things that will not count for eternity.
I found something that I would like to post on here. How do I do that?
if you want to quote it, then click the little "quote" icon along the top of your post window and insert the text in between the two words "quote"

HeChangedMyName

I hope this convo continues. I think it's plowing time in my life.

Have you had the chance to read any of the scriptures? I am seeing how easy it is to have idols and not recognize them for what they are. In this instant-happiness society we live in, there are so many things that are idolized.

HeChangedMyName

do any of you participate in lent?

A thread has been started.
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?p=17896129#post17896129

I think I'll use this time to attack the issue of idols.

Daily I will speak this prayer that I found online:

My Father and only true GOD, I ask that You search my heart and cleanse me of any idols You find there. Anything that takes me away from You must go out of my life in Jesus’ Name! Anything I spend too much time, effort or money on. Anyone I lean on more than You.

I ask for Your cleansing and that You reveal to me any idol in my heart. I want my heart to be wholly YOURS, dear LORD, and not another’s. Help me to be faithful in this important allegiance and trust in YOU.

I pray for all true Christians that they would be convicted of any form of idolatry that they allow in their lives and hearts. Cleanse us Heavenly Father and may we be sensitive to the guidance of the Holy Spirit, set us free in Jesus’ Name.

I come against religious idolatry in every form that it takes. Idolatry that blinds the heart and mind, whether it be a statue or an idol of ministry or of the heart. I command that these idols fall in the Mighty Name of the Lord Jesus Christ.

Save us, O LORD, from idolatry and help Your people to worship only You, in Spirit and in Truth. In the Wonderful, Precious Name of The Lord, Jesus, Amen.

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
The passage I read this morning was Isaiah 44.... It's a great resource for what God has to say to Jeshurun on idolatry, basically anyone(thing) revered that profits nothing....vanity, foolishness. etc. Reverencing the Most High God daily in any form is nourishment to the soul, body and spirit.

These verses stuck with me:

24 Thus says the Lord, your Redeemer, and He Who formed you from the womb: I am the Lord, Who made all things, Who alone stretched out the heavens, Who spread out the earth by Myself [who was with Me]?—
25 [I am the Lord] Who frustrates the signs and confounds the omens [upon which the false prophets’ forecasts of the future are based] of the [boasting] liars and makes fools of diviners, Who turns the wise backward and makes their knowledge foolishness,
26 [The Lord] Who confirms the word of His servant and performs the counsel of His messengers, Who says of Jerusalem, She shall [again] be inhabited, and of the cities of Judah, They shall [again] be built, and I will raise up their ruins,
27 Who says to the deep, Be dry, and I will dry up your rivers,
28 Who says of Cyrus, He is My shepherd (ruler), and he shall perform all My pleasure and fulfill all My purpose—even saying of Jerusalem, She shall [again] be built, and of the temple, Your foundation shall [again] be laid.

LifeafterLHCF

Whatever your precious idol is it will have to be destroyed before you can receive freedom.

I know as I have been reading through this site for a minute that there is this urge to do all you can to be better. Better body,money,boo,whatever. If you believe in the God then there is no need for other things like LOA or whatever. Walking in what God has may not always come in the package we want. It's sobering to know that God sent his son for my sins and that wit that I can have any idol. God will destroy anything that gets in the way of your heart and him. Learned that tonight at recovery.

Last edited:

HeChangedMyName

Whatever your precious idol is it will have to be destroyed before you can receive freedom.

I know as I have been reading through this site for a minute that there is this urge to do all you can to be better. Better body,money,boo,whatever. If you believe in the God then there is no need for other things like LOA or whatever. Walking in what God has may not always come in the package we want. It's sobering to know that God sent his son for my sins and that wit that I can have any idol. God will destroy anything that gets in the way of your heart and him. Learned that tonight at recovery.

This is true. And in one sense, some of us need to be better. I think the key is seeking God to help us to do better and be better. I don't think many of us are living up to the full potential that God created us for. I know I'm not.

I discovered last night in my Anti-Idol devotional that I created, that I have many idols that I have created and they all involve me seeing myself through my eyes, and through the eyes of the world, rather than seeing me through God's eyes.

LifeafterLHCF

This is true. And in one sense, some of us need to be better. I think the key is seeking God to help us to do better and be better. I don't think many of us are living up to the full potential that God created us for. I know I'm not.

I discovered last night in my Anti-Idol devotional that I created, that I have many idols that I have created and they all involve me seeing myself through my eyes, and through the eyes of the world, rather than seeing me through God's eyes.

Yes we create the idol. I think many are doing the best they can at this point. Who are we to judge. Now if you 500lbs then yea we could be doing better to keep up our temple but some of the things we put outselves through is dumb because it's not going to matter at the grand scheme of life.

Me feeling bad bc I have no man,no men are snuffing me out and my bank account is poor I have to focus on what God says vs the world. It's a hard pill but it's a must.

HeChangedMyName

Yes we create the idol. I think many are doing the best they can at this point. Who are we to judge. Now if you 500lbs then yea we could be doing better to keep up our temple but some of the things we put outselves through is dumb because it's not going to matter at the grand scheme of life.

Me feeling bad bc I have no man,no men are snuffing me out and my bank account is poor I have to focus on what God says vs the world. It's a hard pill but it's a must.

here is a good starting place. I have it bookmarked

http://bible.org/article/who-does-god-say-i-am

HeChangedMyName

I've found a good resource blog directed at removing idols

https://eph5v2.wordpress.com/idolatry/

What are some of these empty things that we serve as gods. Consider just some of the pantheon. Which ones call your name?

• Relationships/Family/Friends
  • Wisdom/Knowledge
  • Food
  • Entertainment/Media
  • Control/Power
  • Reputation/Popularity
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Work
  • Material Things
  • Retirement Fund
  • Government
  • Technology/Gadgets
  • Beauty/Fashion
  • Sex
  • Tradition
  • Change
  • Convenience
  • Comfort
  • Shopping
  • Independence

Last edited:

HeChangedMyName

This article really speaks volumes about how sin and idolatry are tied together. http://eph5v2.wordpress.com/2009/07/30/serving-other-gods/

“So when we find ourselves going against God’s Word, it is helpful to ask the question: “What idol am I worshipping?” That is a powerful question, because it exposes the heart. It asks us to inspect our motives. When I am unkind to my wife, for example, it’s not a mere slip. It shows that my heart is not right with God, that I love myself more than my wife…. My own convenience, my own preferences, my own comfort have become my idol.”
Behind every sin is an idol. Too often behind every good act there is an idol too. I might serve in ministry for my reputation or another’s praise rather than for Christ. I might work hard at my job longing for a raise or promotion rather than in service to Christ.