Been here since '07...and I still haven't found a staple creamy moisturizer!

Dposh167

like why?

I'm a huge product junkie. I have found staples in all of the other categories like conditioners, gels, poos, etc. But I still don't have a creamy moisturizer! for dry hair that i could put on my ends. (my hair like creamy moisturizers more than sprays)

why is it so hard to find a freakin' moisturizer!!!!!:drunk::drunk:

its not like i can just pull up at the BSS store and find a good choice on the shelves. I don't do mineral oil and petroletum.:nono:

I've been looking at curl junkie and shescentit for some natural options but dont wanna spend tons of money for something that won't work.

anybody else in my shoes? any suggestions?

winona

I absolutely love Sally GVP brand The Conditioner:) It is super cheap $10 for 1liter:) I saturate my hair with this after rinsing my conditioner and then add a pomade or some other butter blend:)

Dposh167

did you ever try Organics liquid hair mayonnaise? its very good

nope. never tried it. Are the ingredients good? The word mayonnaise always turns me off for some reason.

I've tried
Elasta Mango butter- SUCKED
Qhemet Burdock Cream- NOT ENOUGH MOISTURE FOR MY ENDS
Sheamoisture moisturizing cream- I LIKE....but the scent it tooooo much for me

Dposh167

I absolutely love Sally GVP brand The Conditioner:) It is super cheap $10 for 1liter:) I saturate my hair with this after rinsing my conditioner and then add a pomade or some other butter blend:)

I actually own this. But i really wasn't looking for a creamy conditioner/leave in. I was looking for a creamy moisturizer for dry hair that i could put on my ends and hair shaft. I don't like using conditioner as a moisturizer cuz it leaves that whitish film cuz the hair is not wet

now if its a leave-in that could be used and melts in DRY hair, then i'll be willing to try

Napp

Ms. Nobody
nope. never tried it. Are the ingredients good? The word mayonnaise always turns me off for some reason.

I've tried
Elasta Mango butter- SUCKED
Qhemet Burdock Cream- NOT ENOUGH MOISTURE FOR MY ENDS
Sheamoisture moisturizing cream- I LIKE....but the scent it tooooo much for me

these are the ingredients:

Water - Aqua, Propylene Glycol, Polyquaternium-37, Propylene Glycol Dicaprylate/Dicaprate, PPG-1 Trideceth-6, Soybean Oil - Glycine Soja, Cetyl Alcohol, Glycerin, Fragrance - Parfum, Lanolin Oil, Acrylamidopropyltrimonium Chloride/Acrylamide Copo, Stearalkonium Chloride, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil, Corn Oil - Zea Mays, BHT, BHA, Carrot Seed Oil - Daucus Carota Sativa, Cocoa Seed Butter - Theobroma Cacao, Yellow No. 5, Red No. 40, Blue No. 1, PEG-50 Shea Butter, Olive Fruit Oil - Olea Europaea, Mink Oil - Mustela, Jojoba Seed Oil - Simmondisia Chinensis, Tocopherol, Tea Tree Leaf Oil - Melaleuca Alternifolia, Egg Powder - Ovum, Milk Protein - Lactis Proteinum, Honey - Mel, Silk Amino Acids, Cholesterol

i know the name sounds gross(liquid mayonnaise ick lol) but it smells good and is very moisturizing and strengthening at the same time.

Dposh167

^^ I get all kinds of confused. I thought moisturizer meant like leave in:) My bad:)

oh not a prob at all. Actually u are right. some people do use leave-ins as a moisturizer. On both wet and dry hair. I just haven't come across one that i can use on dry hair effectively

Claudie's Isha Cream will change your life. :love:

tiffers
really! do tell...where can i find this? is it in a jar, it it water or oil based?

Last edited:

Nonie

^^ I get all kinds of confused. I thought moisturizer meant like leave in:) My bad:)

@winona, why are you confused? If she's leaving it in, then it doubles both as a leave-in and as a moisturizer. :lol:

OP, maybe it's coz creams don't work for you. They made my hair hard. So did butters. So did oils. S Curl spray and Hawaiian Silky 14-in=1 are my poisons.

OP, do you not do mineral oil/petrolatum because others said not to, or do you find they do not work for you personally? I think sometimes we create our own problems by doing what others do, instead of what works for us.

I use petrolatum on my eyes and my eyes look better than when I didn't and tried to use more natural products or the so-called eye-creams. If I listened to people, I'd be asking daily how folks keep their eyes looking young. I know that's a little OT coz this is the hair forum, but just wanted to make the point that many people do well with mineral oil in hair products and have the hair to show for it.

Last edited:

Dposh167

Did you try anything in the Shea Moisture line?

yes, i have the moisturizer in a jar...forget the proper name of it. This product is pretty decent, but i had to give it away cuz the fragrance was making me gag. I've been looking for a replacement ever since.

@Nonie
the oil based moisturizers make my hair hard. Like i don't do those butters as a moisturizer. But creams are fine for hair. Its all in the ingredients.
I don't do mineral oil and petroletum cuz they have absolutely no benefit to my hair. Its not a bandwagon reason

Nonie

@Nonie
the oil based moisturizers make my hair hard. Like i don't do those butters as a moisturizer. But creams are fine for hair. Its all in the ingredients.
I don't do mineral oil and petroletum cuz they have absolutely no benefit to my hair. Its not a bandwagon reason

@poochie167 Whose hair? They aren't fine for MY hair. Like oils, and butters--all with good ingredients--they make my hair hard.

Ingredients don't mean ish to me coz like I said, folks knock down petrolatum but it works for so many and it works for my skin. And even when I used it to seal my ends...when I was considering starting to moisturize, it didn't seem to do my hair any harm. I just don't like the feel of product on my hair so I didn't stick with that.

If I worried about ingredients the way many do, I too would be a PJ. But as it is, I am not and have used the same products in the last 7 years w/o problems. Some are 100% natural but some are not.

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
I've know you've tried Qhemet's Burdock Root Butter; perhaps the Amla & Olive Heavy Cream will be better for you.

I also like Oyin Whipped Pudding.

When End All comes back, :look: I'd recommend that too. :look:

Dposh167

@poochie167 Whose hair? They aren't fine for MY hair. Like oils, and butters--all with good ingredients--they make my hair hard.

Ingredients don't mean ish to me coz like I said, folks knock down petrolatum but it works for so many and it works for my skin. And even when I used it to seal my ends...when I was considering starting to moisturize, it didn't seem to do my hair any harm. I just don't like the feel of product on my hair so I didn't stick with that.

If I worried about ingredients the way many do, I too would be a PJ. But as it is, I am not and have used the same products in the last 7 years w/o problems. Some are 100% natural but some are not.

no i meant fine for MY HAIR. i just forgot to include MY. Creams are fine for MY hair. it was in relation to your question about whether creams just don't work for my hair or not

Dposh167

@NappyNelle
I've been looking at that oyin pudding! do u put it on dry hair too? how do u like it?
and yes....i've been keeping up with that end all thread. And i plan on buying it when its available

virtuenow

I've been here since '05 and still havent found one. I used to love the Elasta QP Mango Butter, but they changed the forumula and my taste has changed very much anyway. Now the latest I've tried is Taliah Waajid Moisture Bodifying Mist (me no likey), and Giovanni Direct leave-in (eh, just blah). I have done Kimmaytubes moisturizer and it was okay for a minute; and my own concoctions (shea butter/oil/aloe) were okay but nothing has blown me away.

I broke down and tried the expensive lines too, Qhemets AOHC (dried my hair out, whats that about), Sheamoisture (I bought 3 different creams/cond/leave-ins--- they were all a joke), Curls (some sort of sorbet or dessert sounding name, it was also a joke). I have products that are really collecting dust b/c they did nothing for me.

Right now, I've mixed my own concoction again and I'm pretty satisfied. I'm giving it a few more weeks to give a real reveiw. Its Aubrey Organics GPB & Honey Suckle Rose mixed w/3-4 oz aloe vera juice and sealed w/jamaican black castor oil. I think it may be my best moisturizer so far. It seems to hold true to the term "moisture" in that it rehydrates my hair, and leaves behind soft moisture

Last edited:

BlackHairDiva

Do not loose hope!!! I was a lurker from 2004- to 2005. I have just found what works for me this year..2011. Yup 7 years of testing. I tried being natural, its not for me. I tried being relaxed its not me. I do BKT..its been almost a year and I have progressed incredibly. I have my staples and I'm stockpiling all of my products. My main concern now is to make sure i never run out. Keep trying and keep looking.

like why?

I'm a huge product junkie. I have found staples in all of the other categories like conditioners, gels, poos, etc. But I still don't have a creamy moisturizer! for dry hair that i could put on my ends. (my hair like creamy moisturizers more than sprays)

why is it so hard to find a freakin' moisturizer!!!!!:drunk::drunk:

its not like i can just pull up at the BSS store and find a good choice on the shelves. I don't do mineral oil and petroletum.:nono:

I've been looking at curl junkie and shescentit for some natural options but dont wanna spend tons of money for something that won't work.

anybody else in my shoes? any suggestions?

Last edited:

Dposh167

have you tried oyin hair dew or kbb sweet ambrosia?

Ese88 no i haven't. KBB? what site do u get that from?
i've heard about the hair dew. Is this a moistrizer or a leave in? have u ever used this on dry hair?

virtuenow
I may go back to AO HSR. I used it back when i started and it really did give my ends some good hydration. I never used it as a conditioner. Only as a moisturizer for my ends. And it melted in it. I forgot all about that product. thx for reminding me.

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
poochie167 It's water based and it's awesoooome!

Ingredients for Isha:
Water (Aqua), Babassu Oil, Wheat Germ Oil, Behentrimonium, Mango Butter, Soy Butter, Glyceryl Stearate (and) Cetearyl Alcohol (and) Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, Proprietary Essential Oil Blend and Herbs, Plantain, Squalane,Tamarind, Vegetable Glycerin, Panthenol, Tocopherol, Fragrance, Non-Paraben Formaldehyde free preservative.

Lank:

http://public.fotki.com/HairRevitalizer/products/ishacream.html

Ese88

Ese88 no i haven't. KBB? what site do u get that from?
i've heard about the hair dew. Is this a moistrizer or a leave in? have u ever used this on dry hair?

virtuenow
I may go back to AO HSR. I used it back when i started and it really did give my ends some good hydration. I never used it as a conditioner. Only as a moisturizer for my ends. And it melted in it. I forgot all about that product. thx for reminding me.
poochie167 kbb is karen's body's beautiful & you can get it online. The hair dew is advertised as a daily leave-in so you can use as a moisturiser and I use it on dry hair. I really like it

virtuenow

@Ese88 no i haven't. KBB? what site do u get that from?

@virtuenow

poochie167, really? I never used the AO HSR straight up b/c I was afraid it would leave a residue b/c it is so thick! I do use that and the GPB as my staple deep conditioners, and since they are so good I almost don't need a leave in anyway (along w/the use of oil rinses-- castor oil-- my hair stays moist for days anyway). So I decided since they are so good, and aloe vera juice is such a good pre-poo, then maybe I would combine all three for my moisturizer when I really need to rehydrate my hair between my dc co-washes, (1) Aubrey Organics, (2) Aloe Vera Juice, (3) Castor oil = a very moist leave in.

So how did you do it? It sounds like you should revisit, or use the AO as the base of your leave in mix like I do.

belldandy

you might like Dove's nourishing oil leave-in...it is creamy. i have been using it for a week now and i like it thus far. it has mineral oil and petroleum but far down the list of ingredients. i have been looking for a good moisturizer every since HE LTR changed their formula.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Here are some suggestions (in no particular order):

Darcy's Botanical Lemongrass Transitioning Hair Cream
Darcy's Botancial Shea Butter Lotion
Komaza Shea Butter Lotion
MyHoneyChild Buttery Soy Hair Cream
MyHoneyChild Burdock Root Hair Lotion
Claudie Isha Hair Cream
Claudie Quinoa & Coffee Hair Cream
Claudie Ends Insurance Hair Cream
Claudie Satin
Hairitage Hydrations "Clouds"
Tiiva Naturals Green Tea Leave-In
Qhemet Biologics Burdock Root
Qhement Biologics Amala Oil & Heavy Cream
Hairveda's Whipped Ends Hydration
Oyin Handmade Hair Dew
Karen's Body Beautiful

Curlykutie

I say try the Oyin hair dew here are the ingredients:

ingredients: purified water, castor oil, olive oil, organic aloe vera gel, behentrimonium methosulfate (emulsifier), coconut oil, olive squalane, optiphen (preservative), cetyl alcohol, fragrance, and love!

I love it keeps my hair full of moisture.

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
poochie167 I love Oyin's Whipped Pudding. I use it on damp and dry hair. The Hair Dew is good as well, but if Qhem's Burdock Root Butter Cream was too light for your hair, the Dew won't work well for you.

I've also noticed since I've upped the quality of my deep conditioners, I don't really need the cream moisturizers that I love.

That won't stop me from buying them though.

Last edited:

Nonie

@poochie167 Ahh...gotcha. Creams are fine for YOUR hair.

OK forgive me now coz I probably need to read the whole thread. Since you know that it's all in the ingredients and that creams work, that tells me you have found one that worked. Then what happened to the cream(s )worked? Why didn't you stick with them? Why look for something else when you've already found something that works?