been told my hair cant grow long

I just wanted to clarify one thing. There will definitely be people in Africa with long hair because Ethiopian, Egyptians, Cape Verdians etc are African. Here there are non mixed black women with type 2-4/ab hair, its the same on that continent too.

I don't think he was necessarily trying to be rude, it could simply be a belief that as been embedded in his head for years. Its the same stereotype that black people have little money and are lazy etc. I hear alot of that from other black people here.

As more and more black women take care of our hair, hopefully over time this will no longer be the misconception of black hair. That's why I love this board. I used to be a non believer too, but that has definitely changed!

aliciaq said:
In work today a co worker of mine who is from zimbabwe saw me with my hair down for the first time today and commented that my hair was long and if it was real. So shocked i replied yes and i said i didint think it was long to which he replied that my hair wont grow longer and i should be lucky how long it is already ( which is shoulder lenght) and it will start breaking off eventually beacuse black hair dont grow:eek: anyone else experienced these problems from dumb african guys like him?

Please do not generalise! :( These comments come from people of all races, not just dumb african guys.

SleekandBouncy said:
Be happy. As your hair grows you're a walking inspiration to other black women and girls who've been feed the image that we can't grow healthy or long hair when in reality it's just a lack of hair education. And for Mr. Hair expert, his jaw will drop when you walk past with your healthy thick hair swinging hair (straight, texlaxed, natural or whatever).

I'd love to convert some non believers, but I feel like I don't dispel myths or inspire other black women IRL because of my complexion. It sounds silly, I know, but I feel like other black ppl see my complexion and assume I don't have "authentic" black hair. The assumption is made that I'm some light skinned chick with good hair. I've even had stylist who have seen my kinky arse roots argue with me about my hair type. I'm like, dude are you looking at the same got darn roots or are you blind? It's like, well she's light and has long hair, it can't be kinky even though I'm ripping through knots trying to do this touchup! I've never had anyone tell me I can't grow long hair or ask me if I'm wearing a weave, I want to be a myth buster too! :(

Anyway, ignore Mr. Junk in the head. He doesn't know anything about hair.

I'm sorry this happens to you...but your not the only one. I have fairly dark skin and I have been told several times that I must be mixed somewhere down the line by Blacks. And I have been told by Africans (this may also have somewhat to do with my features) that I must be the descendant of East Africans. Ummm...yea...neither one of these are true to my knowledge (ummm...before anyone gets on a high horse, I have done my families geneaology and I'm pretty sure that I am the descendant of West Africans.)

Neway, it seems like everyone has and EXCUSE, I say that because that's what they are, for why our methods won't work on their hair and so why they don't need to work. I think that if everyone spent as much time listening and learning new things as they do propagating olf wives tales we'd all have hair at BSL. ;)

CurliDiva said:
My sister told me that "we" don't have the hair gene!:eek: Not sure if she meant "we" as in all black people or my family only!

Black people and this constant self deprecation... sigh...:ohwell:

sorry if i sound like i was generalising i dont think all guys from africa are dumb i just felt so intimidated by his comment i went off in a huff but he is only 21 so i guess his lack of knowledge will also have to do with it:(

aliciaq said:
In work today a co worker of mine who is from zimbabwe saw me with my hair down for the first time today and commented that my hair was long and if it was real. So shocked i replied yes and i said i didint think it was long to which he replied that my hair wont grow longer and i should be lucky how long it is already ( which is shoulder lenght) and it will start breaking off eventually beacuse black hair dont grow:eek: anyone else experienced these problems from dumb african guys like him?

:eek: Oh lawd:lol: I don't want to write a book but there is a girl at my school who have like 2a hair (she's AA) and her hair is bs, so anywho one day we was talking and I was telling her the different styles, I'm going to wear my hair in once it reach her length. My boss was listening and she said out of nowhere, your hair is never going to be that long because you dont have her hair type. I was like:eek: oh, no she didn't and I wanted to snap out but I politely told her that my hair does not have to be 2a to be long like my co-worker;) (my boss has never seen the length of my hair b4) so I guess she thinks I'm bald:lachen: anyways...don't pay that fool no neva mind;)

aliciaq said:

Don't worry about it, girl. Just take care of your hair, and leave him to his lack of knowledge.

aliciaq said:

dumb african, asian, white, spanish. shoot! wtf?! why long hair on a black woman has to be fake.
shake it off, their ignorance cannot impact you unless you let it.

Whimsy said:
dumb african, asian, white, spanish. shoot! wtf?! why long hair on a black woman has to be fake.
shake it off, their ignorance cannot impact you unless you let it.
Exactly. Black people in general don't believe their hair can grow past their shoulders, they lack the proper knowledge to take care of their hair, that's one of the reasons.

SleekandBouncy said:
Be happy. As your hair grows you're a walking inspiration to other black women and girls who've been feed the image that we can't grow healthy or long hair when in reality it's just a lack of hair education. And for Mr. Hair expert, his jaw will drop when you walk past with your healthy thick hair swinging hair (straight, texlaxed, natural or whatever).

I'd love to convert some non believers, but I feel like I don't dispel myths or inspire other black women IRL because of my complexion. It sounds silly, I know, but I feel like other black ppl see my complexion and assume I don't have "authentic" black hair. The assumption is made that I'm some light skinned chick with good hair. I've even had stylist who have seen my kinky arse roots argue with me about my hair type. I'm like, dude are you looking at the same got darn roots or are you blind? It's like, well she's light and has long hair, it can't be kinky even though I'm ripping through knots trying to do this touchup! I've never had anyone tell me I can't grow long hair or ask me if I'm wearing a weave, I want to be a myth buster too! :(

Anyway, ignore Mr. Junk in the head. He doesn't know anything about hair.

I have a friend with waiste length hair who goes through to same thing. I have heard girls tell her that she doesn't know what it's really like. No one believes her when she tells them her hair type. She's always having to almost defend her hair. :perplexed

ShaniKeys said:
Exactly. Black people in general don't believe their hair can grow past their shoulders, they lack the proper knowledge to take care of their hair, that's one of the reasons.
My ex-stylist seemed to think this.

A few men have asked me if my hair was real. 2 were complete strangers. 1 was a guy I had just met. When I told him it's real he said "Are you mixed?". It's sad that these men even thought to ask these questions. :nono:

tsmith said:
:eek: Oh lawd:lol: I don't want to write a book but there is a girl at my school who have like 2a hair (she's AA) and her hair is bs, so anywho one day we was talking and I was telling her the different styles, I'm going to wear my hair in once it reach her length. My boss was listening and she said out of nowhere, your hair is never going to be that long because you dont have her hair type. I was like:eek: oh, no she didn't and I wanted to snap out but I politely told her that my hair does not have to be 2a to be long like my co-worker;) (my boss has never seen the length of my hair b4) so I guess she thinks I'm bald:lachen: anyways...don't pay that fool no neva mind;)

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Its sad to say but of course She Didn't know any better! I was talking to a co worker of mine and she used to have nice BSL flowing hair. She had it in a tight pony tail last week and I asked her about her ends. They used to be so healthy looking and thick. She responded by saying "My hair always breaks off really bad during the summer because thats just what it does>":ohwell: My lip dropped! I started to tell her about some of the things I'm doing and how to add a bit of mositure to her hair at times if she thinks it too dry. She laughed when I told her about the baggy! From that point, I quit!

She was laughing at the info I told her and looked at me like I was the most ridiculous brain washed idiot to walk on earth. Some folks don't want to take a helping hand.

aliciaq said:

Seriously this guy is double dumb. Not only was his statement ignorant and untrue but he totally contradicted himself. Black hair doesn't grow but he just said that yours was long? WHATEVA. DUMBO.:perplexed

heck, I am a white girl and the dermatologist told me I couldn't grow my hair long..I am stubborn. Not giving up.

nenebird said:
heck, I am a white girl and the dermatologist told me I couldn't grow my hair long..I am stubborn. Not giving up.

and you should not!! Someone telling you that you can't should be an encouragement!

SvelteVelvet said:
Just tell him, "You don't know what you're talking about" Then prove it to him, and in a couple of months when your hair has grown more inches, keep reminded him he said that. "Remember when you told me my hair wouldn't grow any longer, I told you you didn't know what you were talking about"

That's my favorite phrase. Stops ignorance in its tracks. :yep:

aliciaq said:

Ughhh! I'm so tired of hearing that. I was at work yesterday and this woman proceeds to tell me that I'm washing my hair too often. (Now, I tried to explain that I am condition washing and that it's actually giving moisture to my hair)...but she says that I am breaking my hair from washing it too much. Grrr, I tried to explain it to her...but then I just gave up. I figure, she's made up her mind. Besides, next year this time, she'll see who was right and who still has CRAZY breakage from using the flat iron EVERYDAY...(I know, I was as shocked as you are that she of all people was trying to give ME advice about breaking hair)...when her hair is shedding all over her back! Everyday I see tons of little broken hairs all over her back. Everyday. Anyway, you're not alone. I have to deal with people who just....don't....know....better.
Begins to sing Michael Jackson's "You are not alone..."...:lol:

Back