Natural Hair Can't Grow Long...

LadyKaypnyc

co-signing. I don't think I would retain a significant amount of length if I wore my hair in "out" styles for a significant amount of time. My reasons are the same as those above. Thankfully, I actually love twists, cornrows, bantu knots, etc. I love my big afro, but I hate having to braid it up at nite, so it's a once in a while style. I don't think the article was off base for saying that this hair type may need "protective styling" to retain length.

Lys

I think everyone is forgetting the fact that it says THE ONLY way we can retain length is through protective styling. That's where I find fault with the description.

CenteredGirl

I am a 4ab and the only way I have been able to gain length is through no/low manipulation.

75% of the time, my hair is hidden under a wig. When I do get breakage I get so deppressed, but it does happen and my hair is in the best shape of it's life.

Now I really think that the way hair is categorized, my hair versus someone else's 4ab hair may be totally different.

Soo...bottom line, our hair can grow, ya just have to know how to work it.:spinning:

AfroKink

I think everyone is forgetting the fact that it says THE ONLY way we can retain length is through protective styling. That's where I find fault with the description.

The blurb doesn't say the only why for type 4 hair to grow long is through protective styling. It states that "sometimes Type 4 hair doesn't grow very long because every time you comb it, it breaks" this is a true statement. Sometimes drying combing with a thin toothed comb will cause breakage. Sometimes combing hair soaking wet covered in conditioner with a wide toothed comb will cause breakage. Combing can cause breakage leading to decrease length retention and hair that doesn't apepar to grow very long. Then it says, "...if you have dreadlocks and never comb them or keep them braided, your hair can and does grow quite long.". This is also true. Locs and other protective styles can help you grow your hair long by helping to retain length. While it doesn't say protective styling is the only way, it doesn't mention other ways that it can be done.

Lys

moonglowdiva

In some ways I can see how that's true. I comb my daughter's hair one time per week on shampoo daze and her hair is growing just fine. She has no breakage and it is thick as can be. The key to keeping her hair on her head is moisture, moisture, moisture.
BTW: I keep her in cornrows and seldom do I let her wear puffs.

isobell

I think for a lot of people natural hair equals short hair. I think a lot of people settle with the fact that our hair is really dry and never try to boost the moisture content and really pamper it the way it likes to be pampered.

That could be why a lot of folks think natural hair don't grow long. They think just cuz they natural that they don't have to really take care of it.

But like ladylibra said, WE know the truth. And we know that natural hair can be long too :yep:

Totally in agreement. I can't tell you how many people I know who abandoned all the basics of haircare as soon as they went natural. They stopped maintaining their protein-moisture balance, stopped dc and stopped using high quality products. when treated well our hair is not really all that fragile imo.

Lucky's Mom

without braids or Locs?

According to Naturallycurly.com:

Many women with Type 4 hair rely on chemical relaxers to make hair easier to control. In its natural states, sometimes Type 4 hair doesn't grow very long because every time you comb it, it breaks. (Of course, if you have dreadlocks and never comb them or keep them braided, your hair can and does grow quite long.)

Then, they add an addendum, with a more accurate description, but it seems as if a lot of naturals actually believe the above description to be very accurate:nono:

Here is an personal message I received on youtube after I commented on the offensive portrayl of natural hair:

Um. sorry, God knows, I love ya',but as 'limited', and jarring as the 1st description was, in a way, it's kinda accurate! Hair in it's natural state is the most delicate, and fragile, and more proned to damage, and breakage than other types. In fact breakage is the #1 cause of concern among natural-wearers. Yes, Of Course curly hair can, and does grow to be long, but it goes w/o saying that hair that is less manipulated ie: (braided, locked), will acheive longer lengths!!

What is your opinion?

I agree that our hair is extremely fragile, but with the proper care, it can, and does, grow long without the need for the prolonged wear of braids/Locs.

I rarely wear my hair in protective styles and it's growing just fine. If we care for our hair properly, breakage wouldn't be an issue.

Bolded above - That is my opinion. My hair has grown tremendously in the last 2 yrs. Without long stints in braids - as much as I wanted them.

I have turned away from commerical products and use lots of food in my hair:lachen: - And have had EXCELLENT results. I figure one day - there will be a world wide shortage on Hair - so I better take care of my own!:lachen:

kelkel

Many women with Type 4 hair rely on chemical relaxers to make hair easier to control. In its natural states, sometimes Type 4 hair doesn't grow very long because every time you comb it, it breaks. (Of course, if you have dreadlocks and never comb them or keep them braided, your hair can and does grow quite long.)

what was the point of their comment??? If anything the only point they proved was that most ppl with natural 4 type hair aren't educated on how to care for their type of hair......

the reason why most non-AA ppl hair is longer then ours is because they actually got the memo on how to care for their hair properly..... If they were instructed to not wash their hair for weeks on end and to add products with mineral oil to their hair on top of heat.... I bet you would see a whole bunch of bald headed white girls running around.

I am sure if the majority of black women knew how to properly take care of their hair in a natural state-- there would be more of us with WL hair. But the majority of us aren't educated on proper moisture, not adding an extensive amount of heat, not combing dry hair and etc.....

as far as braids and locs???

what about all the natural long haired women out there who wear their hair in a bun ???? or the ones that rollerset ???? braid outs??? puffs ?? or the ones that flat iron their natural hair all while achieving their long lengths ???

the #1 cause of concern isn't really breakage, the problem is the mis-education of hair care which results in breakage.....unfortunately most women don't even recognize the real problem.

I hope Naturallycurly.com isn't just filled with limited information and short sighted solutions.... I hope they actually include some advice that has some value.

Ivie184

what was the point of their comment??? If anything the only point they proved was that most ppl with natural 4 type hair aren't educated on how to care for their type of hair......

the reason why most non-AA ppl hair is longer then ours is because they actually got the memo on how to care for their hair properly..... If they were instructed to not wash their hair for weeks on end and to add products with mineral oil to their hair on top of heat.... I bet you would see a whole bunch of bald headed white girls running around.

I am sure if the majority of black women knew how to properly take care of their hair in a natural state-- there would be more of us with WL hair. But the majority of us aren't educated on proper moisture, not adding an extensive amount of heat, not combing dry hair and etc.....

what about all the natural long haired women out there who wear their hair in a bun ???? or the ones that rollerset ???? braid outs??? puffs ?? or the ones that flat iron their natural hair all while achieving their long lengths ???

the #1 cause of concern isn't really breakage, the problem is the mis-education of hair care which results in breakage.....unfortunately most women don't even recognize the real problem.

I hope Naturallycurly.com isn't just filled with limited information and short sighted solutions.... I hope they actually include some advice that has some value.

Thank you!!! ITA. That was the main problem I had in terms of dealing with my hair: I did not know how to care for my hair properly. Proper hair care and maintenance yields good results. I am a strict protective styler; I don't like messing with my hair much. However, I don't doubt for a second that there are many naturals who have grown their hair to amazing lengths without protective styling all the time. When it comes to dealing with our hair, education is the key and it's up to us to spread the knowledge on proper hair care.

Last edited:

ladylibra

SAY THAT!!!!!

JustKiya

Thank you!!! That's what I was trying to say, but got distracted and rambly on instead - speak it!

anon123

Okay, this is something that I am willing and hope to believe. It's just that I haven't seen it for my hair texture yet. If you all know of someone with hair texture like mine who has grown their hair long while wearing it out and not doing much in the way of protective styles, please let me know! You all know my struggles with my hair, so I won't go into it, but basically I've tried lots of people's suggestions and my hair tangles when loose and those tangles don't just fall out because I put a product on it. So if you know someone with hair like mine that has grown it long without heat (not *is* growing it long, my hair was a bit less trouble to wear loose when it was shorter, too), please let me know. I do want to know because I like to wear my hair out.

JustKiya

Okay, this is something that I am willing and hope to believe. It's just that I haven't seen it for my hair texture yet. If you all know of someone with hair texture like mine who has grown their hair long while wearing it out and not doing much in the way of protective styles, please let me know! You all know my struggles with my hair, so I won't go into it, but basically I've tried lots of people's suggestions and my hair tangles when loose and those tangles don't just fall out because I put a product on it. So if you know someone with hair like mine that has grown it long without heat (not *is* growing it long, my hair was a bit less trouble to wear loose when it was shorter, too), please let me know. I do want to know because I like to wear my hair out.

:bighug: I swear, I so want to swing by your house and have a hair day. :yep: I LOVE your hair - I think it's a lot like mine, just maybe 4 times thicker? And I want to believe with you that your hair CAN do it - it's just a matter of finding the right tools and methods......

ladylibra

okay you know what would really clear things up? if they explained what they mean by DOESN'T GROW VERY LONG. i know plenty type 4s that could grow their hair to a certain length without using protective styles... let's say, around SL.

if you're relaxed with SL hair and your ends are rubbing up against your clothes, you might have some trouble growing your hair longer (especially if you're hot curling those ends every day like i used to do :blush: ). if you're natural and SL your hair will probably LOOK a lot shorter, and it was around SL when my hair got harder to do because i wasn't used to dealing with that length of hair yet. if i wasn't up on my natural hair knowledge i could've done a lot of damage to my hair and there again, have trouble growing it out.

okay, i know SL isn't really LONG but you see what i'm saying... i'm all about specifics... :yep:

ladylibra

i wanna know what products y'all are using to make your tangles fall out too. i'm back to detangling every 2 weeks cuz it just takes so much time...

i'm sure you alread addressed this but are you saying you want hair completely free of tangles? or are you saying the tangles are bad enough that when you detangle you cause damage to your hair?

anon123

okay you know what would really clear things up? if they explained what they mean by DOESN'T GROW VERY LONG. i know plenty type 4s that could grow their hair to a certain length without using protective styles... let's say, around SL.

i see exactly what you're saying, that would clear things up. i grew my natural hair to somewhat longer than it is now (so longer than apl) w/o protective styling. it took forever, though, but then again, i wasn't consciously trying to grow my hair, so i think if i hadn't have been so rough with my hair and at least detangled with conditioner (i detangled with water only), it might grown longer.

i wanna know what products y'all are using to make your tangles fall out too. i'm back to detangling every 2 weeks cuz it just takes so much time...

i'm sure you alread addressed this but are you saying you want hair completely free of tangles? or are you saying the tangles are bad enough that when you detangle you cause damage to your hair?

the latter. once those tangles and knots get in there, i can't seem to make them come out w/o some damage, even though i try to be gentle and spend 1-2 hours slowly detangling.

Kiya, thanks for the hug. I want you to swing by, too! Lord knows I got NO hair skills. :lachen:

Okay, okay, so I take it back, I'm willing to admit that blurb may have been overgeneralizing a bit. :yep:

kelkel

mwedzi....btw your hair is absolutely beautiful:love5:.....I love your texture.

I don't know your daily style but when I wear buns I usually dampen my hair at night with my glycerin, water, and castor oil mix.... I part my hair in four sections combing each section out gently...then I braid in plaits....

in the a.m. I re-dampen my hair.... add some leave in conditioner (concentrating on my ends) and I comb my hair back into a bun..... now it ain't the slickest bun around :lol:.... but darn it the older I get the more I don't give a damm....:grin:.

nijilah

If this is true then what about all those people in the 70s (I think that was the era) with the big huge afros. Their hair was long! Just because it didn't hang down straight, doesn't mean that it was not long.

My hair is bra strap length but hangs to my shoulders in waves/curls (depending on the weather). It doens't show its true length because of its texture. But it is still long!

mscocoface

You and I have the same type of hair and I have been looking for this person to.

Every single one of the folks I admire with hair like ours at some point and time do protective styling even if it is just a simple bun.

I am the member of other hair boards and I have not seen anyone with 4a mainly 4b hair grow their hair long without doing some type of protective styling especially those who have sworn off altering their texture even with heat.

If you find anyone please let me know. I have been searching for the last two years. I just cannot find them.

ebonylocs

I'm kind of with Mwedzi.

When I recently had my hair natural, I grew it out to APL from scratch in about 2.5 years. But I wore twists and braids quite often and didn't often wear it loose. If I had worn it loose, combing out those tangles would have stunted my length progression.

On the other hand, when I was a child (until 16 y-o) I also had a big head of natural hair that I combed through dry nearly every day. However, I often wore buns or two large cornrows (e.g. to school). I didn't know anything about protective styling, those were just the easiest quick daily styles for my natural hair. (Wearing natural hair loose definitely wasn't fashionable). It also took several years to get to the length that I later got to with just 3 years of protective styling.

However, I disagree with the reply the person on youtube gave to the OP that *natural* 4B hair is "the most fragile and brittle". I think type 4 hair is the most fragile of all hair types, full stop, whether natural or relaxed. I also know that my relaxed hair strands now feel weaker than my natural strands did. Relaxing doesn't make your hair stronger. What it might do lessen tangling so that you don't rip your hair out so much while combing, but then you might have to contend with other problems.

lala

My hair didn't get the memo because it is longer now as a natural than when I was relaxed. Boop Boop

Mine didn't either :rolleyes:. When I was natural my hair was long and it's long now that it's relaxed. I've never posted pics of my natural hair, but I'm going to have to dig them up. I have type 4 hair that did not break nor tangle as much as my relaxed hair.

Riverwalk

You and I have the same type of hair and I have been looking for this person to.

Every single one of the folks I admire with hair like ours at some point and time do protective styling even if it is just a simple bun.

I am the member of other hair boards and I have not seen anyone with 4a mainly 4b hair grow their hair long without doing some type of protective styling especially those who have sworn off altering their texture even with heat.

If you find anyone please let me know. I have been searching for the last two years. I just cannot find them.

Me three! If I could just find someone with this type of hair that doesn't have to deal with tangles, I would love to meet them.