Natural Hair Can't Grow Long...

LadyKaypnyc

without braids or Locs?

According to Naturallycurly.com:

Many women with Type 4 hair rely on chemical relaxers to make hair easier to control. In its natural states, sometimes Type 4 hair doesn't grow very long because every time you comb it, it breaks. (Of course, if you have dreadlocks and never comb them or keep them braided, your hair can and does grow quite long.)

Then, they add an addendum, with a more accurate description, but it seems as if a lot of naturals actually believe the above description to be very accurate:nono:

Here is an personal message I received on youtube after I commented on the offensive portrayl of natural hair:

Um. sorry, God knows, I love ya',but as 'limited', and jarring as the 1st description was, in a way, it's kinda accurate! Hair in it's natural state is the most delicate, and fragile, and more proned to damage, and breakage than other types. In fact breakage is the #1 cause of concern among natural-wearers. Yes, Of Course curly hair can, and does grow to be long, but it goes w/o saying that hair that is less manipulated ie: (braided, locked), will acheive longer lengths!!

What is your opinion?

I agree that our hair is extremely fragile, but with the proper care, it can, and does, grow long without the need for the prolonged wear of braids/Locs.

I rarely wear my hair in protective styles and it's growing just fine. If we care for our hair properly, breakage wouldn't be an issue.

JustKiya

:rolleyes: WTFever, yo. Seriously.

Breakage (and I waver on this, but more and more I'm believing it) is NOT a 'natural' state for anyone's hair. If it's breaking, it's either lacking something, or you aren't manipulating it correctly.

I could be wrong, seriously, but righthere, rightnow, I'm personally releasing my belief that natural hair and breakage are inescapable companions. I've seen the proof of it in my own hair, so I reject that mindset, totally.

Once again, it's all about KNOWING how to take proper care of your hair, and we've lost that knowledge. *sigh*

ajoyfuljoy

I think for a lot of people natural hair equals short hair. I think a lot of people settle with the fact that our hair is really dry and never try to boost the moisture content and really pamper it the way it likes to be pampered.

That could be why a lot of folks think natural hair don't grow long. They think just cuz they natural that they don't have to really take care of it.

But like ladylibra said, WE know the truth. And we know that natural hair can be long too :yep:

InnerSoul

I believe that our natural hair can and Will grow long because we have support from LHCF and we share advice on how to care for our hair!!

Here is to long growth on natural hair:grin:

InnerSoul

I think for a lot of people natural hair equals short hair. I think a lot of people settle with the fact that our hair is really dry and never try to boost the moisture content and really pamper it the way it likes to be pampered.

That could be why a lot of folks think natural hair don't grow long. They think just cuz they natural that they don't have to really take care of it.

But like ladylibra said, WE know the truth. And we know that natural hair can be long too :yep:

@the bolded... I can see how people think that... b/c shrinkage is no joke!:drunk:

JustKiya

:yep: You know, I really think you are right with that - so many people really go think they can just grow and go, ya know?

discobiscuits

all i have to say is:

http://www.myspace.com/ishemusic

Ishe's Photos

Last edited:

LadyKaypnyc

Breakage (and I waver on this, but more and more I'm believing it) is NOT a 'natural' state for anyone's hair. If it's breaking, it's either lacking something, or you aren't manipulating it correctly.

I could be wrong, seriously, but righthere, rightnow, I'm personally releasing my belief that natural hair and breakage are inescapable companions. I've seen the proof of it in my own hair, so I reject that mindset, totally.

Once again, it's all about KNOWING how to take proper care of your hair, and we've lost that knowledge. *sigh*

Wow! I completely agree!:yep:

LadyKaypnyc

@the bolded... I can see how people think that... b/c shrinkage is no joke!:drunk:

So true, I went to the hair salon with my cousin yesterday, who has shoulder length hair, and she was telling her stylist that I'm about to hit the 2 year mark, and my length has yet to surpass hers. Well, the stylist was no fool, she asked me can she touch my hair, (I said yeah), then she proceeded to stretch my shoulder length strands to my armpit. My cousin just sat there looking stupid:lachen:

JustKiya

So true, I went to the hair salon with my cousin yesterday, who has shoulder length hair, and she was telling her stylist that I'm about to hit the 2 year mark, and my length has yet to surpass hers. Well, the stylist was no fool, she asked me can she touch my hair, (I said yeah), then she proceeded to stretch my shoulder length strands to my armpit. My cousin just sat there looking stupid:lachen:

:lachen: That's what I'm talking about right there!!

And you know, shrinkage always makes me wonder - there is no WAY of telling how long our ancestors hair was - the old photos that are all in existence - the hair is usually braided up and covered with a scarf (protective styling, anyone???? :lol:) and for sure they never took pictures with their hair 'pulled' to it's full length. Having experienced the magic that is shrinkage, I look at some of those pictures and the HUGE buns and crown braids - greatgreatgreatgreatgreatgramma had some HAIR on her head, seriously.

:look: And I'm SORRY, but if a slave - a SLAVE - can grow long hair, I KNOW my free black behind can too.

LadyKaypnyc

:lachen: That's what I'm talking about right there!!

And you know, shrinkage always makes me wonder - there is no WAY of telling how long our ancestors hair was - the old photos that are all in existence - the hair is usually braided up and covered with a scarf (protective styling, anyone???? :lol:) and for sure they never took pictures with their hair 'pulled' to it's full length. Having experienced the magic that is shrinkage, I look at some of those pictures and the HUGE buns and crown braids - greatgreatgreatgreatgreatgramma had some HAIR on her head, seriously.

:look: And I'm SORRY, but if a slave - a SLAVE - can grow long hair, I KNOW my free black behind can too.

:lachen:That's what I'm saying!!

SignatureBeauty

They think just cuz they natural that they don't have to really take care of it.

I agree with both and I am guilty of the underlined, When I first went natural I done everything to it, I took care of it and it grew pretty fast, then had a relapse and relaxed, then had another relapse and cut it off to the newgrowth to go natural but that time I didn't take care of it, I just let it do whatever and my hair did not grow as fast at all, But this time around I am back to nurturing and nourshing my scalp and hair and I swear I have had some over night growth and I kid you not, I can tell because it is so short (if you can say that).

But we all know Natural hair can grow and that it ain't dirty and that people have Ig'nut comments, who gives a ish! why stand there and argue with an Ig'nut ***. You can show them better than you can tell them!:yep:

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I think people mistake the longness of natural hair because of shrinkage. I agree that with proper hair care, natural hair can be as long or longer than relaxed hair.

loulou82

Love it! :lachen:

anon123

But Kiya, you do wear your hair in protective styles almost all the time, don't you? Not braids exactly, but their close relative, twists.

Okay, so they said "braids" or "locs". Maybe a bit limited, but I think if it's expanded to "protective styles", it's not far from accurate. I do believe that either my hair will not grow very long or will take a very long time to grow very long without protective styles. When I wear it out, it tangles, which do not come out easily and often make me break or cut out knots. I wear my hair out lots anyway because the joy of the out style is generally more important to me than growing long hair quickly, but I know what this means for my hair.

LadyKaypnyc

But Kiya, you do wear your hair in protective styles almost all the time, don't you? Not braids exactly, but their close relative, twists.

Okay, so they said "braids" or "locs". Maybe a bit limited, but I think if it's expanded to "protective styles", it's not far from accurate. I do believe that either my hair will not grow very long or will take a very long time to grow very long without protective styles. When I wear it out, it tangles, which do not come out easily and often make me break or cut out knots. I wear my hair out lots anyway because the joy of the out style is generally more important to me than growing long hair quickly, but I know what this means for my hair.

Protective styling is not the only key to long hair. You still have to care for your hair properly for it to grow. If your hair is dry and brittle, no amount of protective styling is going to save it. As soon as the protective style is taken out, the broken hairs will follow.

anon123

Protective styling is not the only key to long hair. You still have to care for your hair properly for it to grow. If your hair is dry and brittle, no amount of protective styling is going to save it. As soon as the protective style is taken out, the broken hairs will follow.

I agree, but I thought what we were talking about was whether protective style was a necessary condition, not a sufficient one. So while protective styling is not all you have to do, it is one of the things you must do.

LadyKaypnyc

I agree, but I thought what we were talking about was whether protective style was a necessary condition, not a sufficient one. So while protective styling is not all you have to do, it is one of the things you must do.

I disagree, I don't think protective styling is a must...Then again, what do you consider protective?

I wear wash and gos most of the time, with a few puffs thrown into the mix. When I get tired of fussing with my hair, I put some twists in for a week...or so, I'm pretty sure that my hair doesn't only grow during that time.

And the congregation said, "Amen". Preach it sista preach it! :lachen:

anon123

I disagree, I don't think protective styling is a must...Then again, what do you consider protective?

I wear wash and gos most of the time, with a few puffs thrown into the mix. When I get tired of fussing with my hair, I put some twists in for a week...or so, I'm pretty sure that my hair doesn't only grow during that time.

Of those you mentioned, I'd only call the twists a protective style. Well, I'm definitely willing to believe that some type 4 hair will retain length well under those conditions. My type 4 would not. So yeah, maybe it was wrong of them to say that all type 4 hair couldn't thrive without protective styles. I guess I was just looking at it from the perspective of my hair.

cupcakes

i think that article is true to an extent.. our natural hair is very fragile and it is more likely to break especially if you dry comb it and dont keep it moisturized. but with proper hair can we can have long hair too:yep:

gradygirl

The thing is that natural hair is so diverse that you cannot say that all 4a/b naturals can't grow hair long without braiding or locking. Each head of natural hair is different so they should not make a "one size fits all" statement like that. Now for my hair I used protective styling to grow mine out and I don't think I would have had the length that I achieved doing this if I wore my hair loose alot because it tangles to badly.

Last edited:

JustKiya

Yes, yes I do. But - the reason for that is - well, there are two reasons.

1) I hate detangling.
2) I'm impatient.

:lachen:

Combine those two things, and NOT wearing my hair in twists right NOW, is a very bad idea. If I did wear it loose, I would have to detangle daily in order to avoid locking/knotting/snarling/breaking, and well - see point one.

I think that if someone was willing to do a full GENTLE detangle EVERY. SINGLE. DAY, that they could TOTALLY grow their hair out at almost the same speed that someone who does almost exclusively protective styles would - the frequency of detangling would conquer a good bit of the breakage that comes with detangling.

See point 2 for why that just wouldn't work for me - daily, I don't think I would be able to be patient enough to be gentle - and well, I would rip all my hair out - once again, defeating the purpose, here. ;)

Hrrm.

Interestingly enough, what I'm really trying to do with my 'protective' styles isn't to be 'protective', really. What I'm doing is trying to keep it from tangling - by keeping it stretched - which, I guess is protecting it from itself. :lachen:

Now - I actually plan on transitioning mostly out of protective styles. For me, they are a means to a goal - long hair, as fast as humanly possible. I'm impatient, ya see.

Once my hair is long enough to create a healthy ponytail, I plan on wearing mostly buns, and updos (which, I guess, are still 'technically' protective styles, aren't they?) created from a single huge twist - think Sera25's fabulous styles :drool: (I want her hair like, two weeks ago, PPllllleeeeaaaasssseeeee???)

So, I don't know. I - I can't really ever SEE myself wearing my hair out/loose/uncontained. It's - it's not really how my hair functions at it's best - it's too gravity defying. I'd be a black Marge Simpson. :lol:

And maybe I've 'settled', somehow, by saying that I'm willing to work within my hair's - boundaries - by saying, yeah, I'll only be able to wear my hair loose on rare occasions (and deal with the detangling afterwards) - but dammit, I'll be able to make some updos that will cause accidents from people whipping around to look at my hair.

I dunno. I think that growing long afro hair can be done, without protective styles. It'll take longer - you might have to start as a child, with a parent who knows how to take care of afro hair - but it can be done.

ETA: And GradyGirl has an EXCELLENT point. Just because some naturals can't (and me & Mdwezi might both be in that boat) - that really says nothing about the majority - look at LadyLibra, for example!

Last edited:

MonPetite

My hair was long a young girl (listen to me, barely old enough to drink and I sound so "grown"!) as a natural even with bad hair techniques.

My natural hair is so strong you can draw it back and forth over your finger nail and it won't break, in fact it makes high pitched metallic sounding notes! :blush: Like wire. I know because I did that today and couldn't break it, using both hands and it sang like lovesick robin. :grin:

I don't think all natural hair is fragile. What's the standrd of fragility here?

AfroKink

co-signing. I don't think I would retain a significant amount of length if I wore my hair in "out" styles for a significant amount of time. My reasons are the same as those above. Thankfully, I actually love twists, cornrows, bantu knots, etc. I love my big afro, but I hate having to braid it up at nite, so it's a once in a while style. I don't think the article was off base for saying that this hair type may need "protective styling" to retain length.

Lys