Being Cheap

amy1234

The other day I realized that I have spent waayy to much money on hair products (I do not even want to think about the figures-it's too depressing
mad.gif
). I've wasted a lot of money on products that I really don't need. It's time for a change.

I want to be the type of girl that can manage to have beautiful healthy hair and be able to maintain it with say.. drugstore type of conditioners or maybe domincan hair products bought in bulk. I would use no more than 4 producst: a shampoo, conditioner, leave-in, and heat protectant.
What products would you use if you wanted to keep it simple and save $$$ ??

Okay here is how I would do it:
Poo: Softsheen Carson Breakthru
Conditioner: Nacidit Olive
Leave-In: Razaac Leave In
Heat Protectant: Elasta QP Silk
Others: Jojoba Oil, Dudley's Hair Sheen

One product that just really can't be beat in the shampoo department imho is Creme of Nature Detangling Shampoo for Dry/Damaged hair. I absolutely love that stuff. Plus, it is pretty cheap, as far as shampoos are concerned.

[ QUOTE ]
curlybun said:
The other day I realized that I have spent waayy to much money on hair products (I do not even want to think about the figures-it's too depressing
mad.gif
). I've wasted a lot of money on products that I really don't need. It's time for a change.

I want to be the type of girl that can manage to have beautiful healthy hair and be able to maintain it with say.. drugstore type of conditioners or maybe domincan hair products bought in bulk. I would use no more than 4 producst: a shampoo, conditioner, leave-in, and heat protectant.
What products would you use if you wanted to keep it simple and save $$$ ??

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd LOOOOOOVE to do that as well
love.gif
Right now I'm using Verifen Complex line...it's a little pricey, but once you buy it, it does last...and it ends up being cheaper than me buying every new product on the market. I still have some work to do on not buying other products though
ohwell.gif

I'm not too familiar with complete drugstore lines, BUT I do think KeraCare, Mizani, Aveda, and Design Essentials have are good professional lines. Even though they are a little pricier than drugstore brands, I realized most of my money is wasted not buying an expensive line, but buying ALL expensive lines and multiple products that I don't end up using

I strongly believe in salon products. They are better quality and much higher concentrated, so you don't need to supplement with other products. I use Kerastase shampoo, conditioner and occasionally a leave-in and I am past bra-strap and very healthy. I think in the long run, you end up spending more when you buy cheap produtcs because you have to buy more things to achieve the same results of just 1 or 2 salon products.

I have way to much products to I use to spend a lot of money on products but not this year.
I got a lot of products on sale 60% off and drug store conditioners I bought at close out price for less than a buck 50.
I also bought a lot of salon products on sale too like
Tigi Bed Head for 2 bucks etc
I have a friend that works at a salon so I never pay full price for my salon products jus half price with her discount.
I need to stick to my staples and curve this PJism.

My hair thrives off of cheap products...I havent noticed a difference in my hair between the Redken and Biolage that I have compared to the .99 Lustrasilk cholesterol. My hair feels exactly the same. To each its own
smile.gif

I think that naturals have a better experience with cheaper products compared to those with chemically treated hair. Because when I was relaxed Suave and Vo5 were terrible on my hair. Now that Im natural its the exact oppsotie. But of course this isnt true for everyone
smile.gif

just wanted to add- the main reason why I thought of this is because I have a friend , who has beautiful bra-strap length relaxed hair and I found out that she only uses a no name brand shampoo and conditioner. It was hard for me to believe this but it was true and her hair looks amazing
smile.gif
-and got me thinking
confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]
ayeshia said:
My hair thrives off of cheap products...I havent noticed a difference in my hair between the Redken and Biolage that I have compared to the .99 Lustrasilk cholesterol. My hair feels exactly the same. To each its own
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never used Biolage, so I can't comment on that. But IMO, Redken is on the very low-end of salon products anyway, so it's not surprising that you didn't see a difference. Because it's only half a step above drugstore products anyhow.

ETA: One more thing I wanted to say is when I was natural the cheaper products were a little more acceptable. But once I started perming again, they just didn't cut it anymore and I'll never go back!
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
MizAvalon said:
[ QUOTE ]
ayeshia said:
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never used Biolage, so I can't comment on that. But IMO, Redken is on the very low-end of salon products anyway, so it's not surprising that you didn't see a difference. Because it's only half a step above drugstore products anyhow.

ETA: One more thing I wanted to say is when I was natural the cheaper products were a little more acceptable. But once I started perming again, they just didn't cut it anymore and I'll never go back!
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

see I didnt know that. well they charge like they're high end
laugh.gif
But I guess since my hair is really healthy off of cheap prodcuts, I dont feel the need to shell out for more
smile.gif
Plus Im broke anyway so I cant try them out even if I wanted to (BTW that Biolage and Redken was Free thanks to a memeber from this forum
smile.gif
)

I can't afford to buy salon products to I have to buy products from the drugstore/BSS. I only use about three or four products as well. Motions lavish conditiong shampoo (leaves hair really soft), Suave milk and honey conditioner, Motions cpr, and then my leave-in (NTM) and some wonder 8 oil. Very simple and all my products are $4 and under. Oh and my hair is a couple of inches above brastrap. I'm trying to get my album started so hopefully you guys can have a looksee pretty soon.

I've been keeping things pretty simple (and cheap):

Poo: Head & Shoulders
Con: Suave 2-minute Recovery
Leave-in: Razac Leave-in conditioner
Moisturizers: Sta Sof Fro or Better Braids braid spray

I can use a cheap shampoo. But, a cheap conditioner just laughs at my hair. Here are my shampoo suggestions:

Cream of Nature (green bottle)
Elasta QP Creme Conditioning Shampoo
Elasta QP Shampoo for Relaxed Hair
Breakthru Shampoo

The products I use on my natural hair are:

Olive oil (pre-treatment) $1.00

Daily Defense or Suave milk and honey conditioner washes .88 up to a $1.00

Suave Humactant conditioner (after the co wash)at most $2.00

Elasta QP Mango Butter (lasts about a month, on my hair only)$5.30

So it is about under $10.00 for my hair products, it took me at least two years to get this routine. Because of the conditioner washes my scalp is not dry anymmore My hair is very healthy now.
smile.gif

Shampoo: Cream of Nature Ultra Moisturizing Formula

Conditioners: Nexxus Humectress, Suave Awapuhi or Humectant, Queen Helene's Carrot Cholesterol

Leave-In: Either of the Suave conditioners plus Sta-Sof-Fro

Heat protectant: Breakthru Antibreakage

The only hair product I tend to splurge on is conditioner, and I will always stick by my Nexxus Humectress. The Suave products are good as leave ins because I use a lot of conditioner and even if a little goes a long way, I would be running through any kind of conditioner like water.

I definitely think it's possible to achieve long and healthy hair using only drugstore and/or the less expensive products.
smile.gif
As soon as you get a good regimen going, the products don't make THAT much of a difference...

It's just too daggone fun trying out new & different products!! THAT'S the problem!! It just seems so boring to me, to only use one brand of shampoo or conditioner ALL the time. I love variety!!
grin.gif
It makes doing my hair so much more fun; it's like a game to me, picking out which products to use on "hair day".
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Lindy said:
I definitely think it's possible to achieve long and healthy hair using only drugstore and/or the less expensive products.
smile.gif
As soon as you get a good regimen going, the products don't make THAT much of a difference...

It's just too daggone fun trying out new & different products!! THAT'S the problem!! It just seems so boring to me, to only use one brand of shampoo or conditioner ALL the time. I love variety!!
grin.gif
It makes doing my hair so much more fun; it's like a game to me, picking out which products to use on "hair day".
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

ITA!!!
smile.gif

I am wondering if it really makes a difference what kind of products verses technique we chose to use in taking care of our hair.

[ QUOTE ]
LABETT said:
I am wondering if it really makes a difference what kind of products verses technique we chose to use in taking care of our hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely more the technique...

[ QUOTE ]
so1913 said:
[ QUOTE ]
LABETT said:

[/ QUOTE ]\

[/ QUOTE ]

yup
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Lindy said:
grin.gif
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
I definitely agree.
smile.gif

I agree techniques are critcal, but I could not live and my hair can not live, without my salon products. I too am on a pretty strict budget, so I purchase mine from Ebay auctions when they are cheap!

As for only a few products, it would be:
Mizani Moisturefuse conditioner, Mizani botanifying shampoo,
Mizani Thermaelastic leave in conditioner, Mizani Kerafuse protein conditioner, and things like shea butter, coconut oil, and castor oil.

[ QUOTE ]
Lindy said:
smile.gif

grin.gif
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

yes..I have much fun trying out new products!
trampoline.gif

I think that Suave Naturals shampoos and conditioners are good. I could not go without Rysell coconut conditioner which is inexpensive. I like Fantasia IC leave-in conditioner.
smile.gif

I'm not sure what shampoo I would use yet but I would definantley keep using miss keys 10 en 1 and buy it in bulk (the costco way!) for a leave-in in would be NTM silk touch leave-in but I still think the price is kind of high though.
Heat protectant: dudleys creme press
-for now I am not going to buy another hair product (as tempting as it might be) instead, I'm going to use up everything that I have btw should prob. last me for a full year and a half, maybe more.
If I wanted to be really thrifty, I think I could survive off of the Dove line and purchase the shampoo, conditioner in bulk of course @ costco and I would be set!!

The only category I have a problem with is conditioners. That is my achilles heel. Sometimes I feel the urge to go on a bender and just buy tons of conditioner - the bigger the bottle the better. The smell of 10 en 1, just makes me soo happy!
clap.gif
So the ones that I think I will keep in stock are Keracare Humecto, Miss Key 10 en 1, and Miss Charlot Seven Wonders Cream.

Everything else is always:
Shampoo: Nexxus Botanoil Shampoo followed by Keracare Moisturizing/Detangling
Leave-in: Razac diluted with water
Serum: Loreal Anti-Frizz or Biosilk
Oil: Coconut Oil

[ QUOTE ]
so1913 said:
[ QUOTE ]
LABETT said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree

ITA w/ Lindy,
just look at Eclipse, she had a 360 degree turnaround with her hair and she used a handful of products, cant remember exactly what but I know her deep conditioner was queen helen cholesterol which is about 2 bucks and some change for a big jar! I completely believe this works.
I prefer more higher end products but I buy them on sale, for example my nexxus humectress and therappe were 25 bucks for the liter sizes together. thats 12 bucks and something each and at 32 oz thats about 3 bottles at 4 bucks each! not bad at all!

Back