Bentonite Clay & Acv Mask Before Relaxer

Etherielle

Hello everyone,

I just want to share something I accidentally "discovered" that helped my hair sustain less damage during my relaxer process.

I had been natural for about 3 years before deciding to use a relaxer (could not cope with the shrinkage and tried a wig, which I did not like). Before resorting to the relaxer, I tried a lot of different methods to elongate curl pattern. My hair is mostly 4a type, high density and low porosity.

The last thing I tried before relaxing was the bentonite clay (Aztec clay brand) with apple cider vinegar mask. This elongated my curl pattern slightly, but not enough, and I noticed that it made my hair feel too hard after rinsing the clay out. As I understand it, bentonite clay elongates curl pattern by temporarily filling in "weak gaps" in the hair strands(?). Because my hair was already low porosity, and bentonite clay fills in the hair strands even more, I was not surprised that this resulted in stiff hair.

After deciding that bentonite clay was not a good relaxer alternative for me, I waited about 3 days before using a relaxer for the first time in 3 years. I did not wash my hair again for those 3 days, so remnants of the bentonite clay and ACV rinse were still in my hair. I used the Hawaiian Silky No Base Relaxer in Super, the 20 oz bottle, and it was enough to cover all of my bra strap length hair. I accidentally left it on for slightly more than the maximum recommended amount of time (25 minutes, but I think I left it on for 30-35 minutes). After neutralizing, I conditioned my hair.

When I was finished with everything, my hair was very straight but felt surprisingly strong, including the ends of my hair.

I believe the bentonite/ACV mask produced this result. If the weakest points of the hair are filled in, then it makes sense that the hair would have less damage. Also, the ph of apple cider vinegar provides a pre-neutralizing effect wherever it remains. So this combination basically prevented the relaxer from affecting the weakest parts of my hair shaft at all.

However, one drawback of the protection bentonite/acv offered my hair is underprocessing. My hair looked very straight immediately after the relaxer because it was weighed down with water, but after my hair dried, it became apparent that my hair was not straight. The curl pattern of my hair now blends exactly with a leftover weft of "body wave" hair I bought when I was experimenting with wigs, and I can now wear that as an extension if I want to. Considering that I left a lye-containing relaxer in "super" strength on my hair for too much time, I think its remarkable that the hair still came out underprocessed (and less damaged) because of the bentonite mask.

The bottom 1/3 of my hair retained most of the wavy, underprocessed pattern compared to the middle and root sections, which makes sense if the bentonite/acv mask fills in weak areas (ends are always the weakest part of a person's hair). No breakage.

If you want a completely straight result from a relaxer, then using a bentonite/acv mask beforehand will probably not give you that effect. However, if you want to have a loose "texlax" that produces a body wave or loose spanish wave effect, this may work for you. I was actually happier with the wavy result because the super flat, straight hair I saw before my hair dried was not very flattering for my face shape.

If you want to try this, I would advise waiting a few days between applying the bentonite/acv mask and doing a relaxer. If too much vinegar is left on the hair because it was just freshly applied, then you may neutralize the whole relaxer and barely get a result. Its best to wait a few days.

Hope this helps someone.

Aftercare note: I conditioned my hair twice after relaxer, once with a keratin based conditioner and then with a moisturizing conditioner. After that, I focused on using ingredients that would make my hair soft and malleable... water & glycerin spray, for example, but use whatever tends to work for you. If bentonite clay or protein treatments harden your hair, then you may want to soften it ASAP and not focus exclusively on protein treatments. Soft/malleable hair bends, hard/inflexible hair breaks.

Last edited:

Theresamonet

Hi, where did you get your information on Bentonite clay? Filling in weak gaps is not a characteristic of this clay that I’ve heard of. Bentonite has clarifying properties, and doesn’t deposit anything, to my knowledge. Will you please cite your source that says otherwise? Perhaps you are confusing this clay with henna?

Etherielle

Hi, where did you get your information on Bentonite clay? Filling in weak gaps is not a characteristic of this clay that I’ve heard of. Bentonite has clarifying properties, and doesn’t deposit anything, to my knowledge. Will you please cite your source that says otherwise? Perhaps you are confusing this clay with henna?

It is explained in this video:

It cleanses, but also fills.