Best Braids to Maintain New Length

moneychaser

Hello,
I plan on getting braids in a few weeks. I have read several horror stories on this board and I am really scared
. Can you please recommend a style of braid you had that didn't result in the following:
<ul type="square">
[*] Didn't break your edges off!
[*]Was easy to take out.
[*]Didn't tangle your hair once out.
[*]Was able to maintain your new growth.
[/list]

miss_brown

I tried cornrows for the first time last fall, and they are definitely a keeper.
1. They were cheaper than other, more elaborate braid styles.

2. They were quick to put in AND take out (including the detangling time).

3. They left my edges in tact (which is more than I can say for those micros I used to wear).

I had two rows, the one on top was slanted. I thought they were very cute, but they may not be the most professional for your work environment (I'm a grad student, so that wasn't a factor for me). HTH

Nonie

I am still a huge fan of micros coz you can style them in various ways. (I bore easily.) And because I do them myself and ensure I use as little hair per braid as I can get away with, there's less strain exerted per square millimeter on my scalp =&gt; no breakage. But I also found a way to reduce strain further along my edges... even though I didn't have breakage. (Better safe than sorry.) Just as Miss Brown stated: cornrows. So now I do mini-cornrows going back along my hairline then micros everywhere else. I just blend the ends of my mini cornrows in with the braids. This is how it looks:

I have been wearing this look since October and have gotten compliments on the "new" do. I think SweetNic is doing something similar.

miss_brown

I wore individuals for a while too, but I didn't like them because the braider would part too small and then attach like an ounce of synthetic hair to 5 strands of my own, which ultimately equalled breakage.

Maybe you can avoid that by doing what nonie said: either make sure the braider attaches as little hair as possible to your own hair OR just cornrow the front back and then proceed as usual.

Nonie

Denalia, if you're not sure your braider will use little hair extension hair per section, and if you don't like the idea of cornrows, how about just doing singles using your own hair for the front. You can aim for a look of bangs or just do a very narrow section so that you can flip the micros immediately behind forward and over your hair so it's hard to see the short singles - kinda mix them in (if that's possible). Or you could do twists instead of single braids...assuming your hair is long enough to fall forward like bangs...and alternate the bangs using twists with bangs made of twist-outs.
If your hair isn't long enough to fall forward like bangs, how about flat twists going back the way my mini-micros do?

J

JenniferMD

Hi Denalia, I don't know if you'll like this style....but this is what I'm currently sporting http://public.fotki.com/JenniferMD/braids_jan_-_may04/

I got them two weeks ago yesterday and although these are my first braids ever I like them. I researched the best braids for about 6 months before I called a salon. The salon that did my braids only use silk fibers (there less harsh on your hair and allows your hair to breath and grow easily). I washed my hair this weekend and had no problems, I now moisturize the braids everyday and I feel really comfortable with my real hair under there. LOL Anyways I don't know if you'll like them, they're a bit "big" (at least I think so). The stylist who did my hair did not pull at lot, I was very pleased with that. A lot of people say they're braids are tight a week before they can relax, well, I went home feeling fine. The braids were secure, and not pulling my brains out. I don't know how easy my hair will be to take out nor do I know what condition my hair will be in afterwards, but I'm taking good care of my hair while in the braids would should help with the results. I hope this helps

Country gal

Jennifer- your hair looks good. I am considering wearing braids to give my hair a break. Do you have kinky twists? Also I was considering getting indiviuals.

cybra

Dena, I have been keeping my hair primarily in cornrows, off and on since 2002. However, I have been keeping them in more steadily since Aug, 2003. I take them out every 2 weeks and give my head a break for a week, then I put them back in. I do my own hair so this is why it's possible without being pricey. I'm not too fancy with the styles, but I am always complimented on the ones I do. You can check out my albums and see some of the styles I've worn. I have NEVER had any of the problems you've mentioned. Also, if you keep them moisturized with a braid spray (I added EVOO to mine), when you take them out your hair will be really soft and easy to manage. I get fast growth when my hair is in braids, maybe because I don't bother it for 2 week stretches. HTH

moneychaser

Jennifer~Your hair looks great! I like that style could you PM the information for the salon that you went to. I had something similar to that last year, and I had no problem taking them out.

Sbaker~ I really want individuals also, but I am kinda weary.

J

JenniferMD

Thanks ladies, Denali03 I PMed you the salon information. Sbaker and zanzibardotcom the braids I have are a form of kinky twist but much softer, they're called Nubian twist.

melodee

Dena,
In reference to the horror stories, the first thing you need to keep in mind is that everyon is different, and that although some people have problems with braids, most who care for them properly and don't leave them in too long do well with braids.

The other important thing to remember(I think this is the MOST important) is that you WILL LOSE a good bit of hair when taking out the braids. It is normal shedding. Most people freak when they see the amount of hair being shed when they unbraid, but when it's all said and done(dry detangling, shampoo, deep conditioning, and styling),they see that their hair is still of normal thickness and is the same length. Also factor in the shrinkage factor. When you have an inch or so of new growth that is kinkycurly, your hair will appear shorter than it actually is. Don't panic.

I've had large cornrows( seven/eight going back), medium sized rows, small double decker rows, individuals the size ofs fat magic markers, and most recently, the size of bic pens. My hair looked nice in every style and was healthy when I removed them. Good luck to you.

Country gal

Melodee- I like the braids you sported last summer at the D.C. LHCF meeting? Also, we are going to do a girls night out. Are you game? No details have be planned yet.

J

JenniferMD

Denali, I wouldn't use surge on briads, I did for about a week and it caused a lot of irritation. I poured out the rest of my surge and won't be using it while my hair is in braids. I only use the african royal spray, s-curl (on the braids, not scalp) shampoo and leave-in conditioner

Mamacita

I wear individual braids and I have never had a problem with breakage or thinning edges. I actually grew my perm out this way. My hair is very thick and healthy when I remove my braids. I ALWAYS wear my individuals medium sized much like the lady on groafrolong website. I will NOT let my braider do them smaller. My hair can not withstand smaller braids, it breaks my hair off and thins my hair out on the ends. I had micros ONE time appr. 10 years ago. I never got them again, it's way too much tension on a small area of hair. I also can not wear cornrows which I love by the way. It's too much tension on my hair line which is really fine. I have what you all call "baby hair" , lol, but it's really fine and lays flat but the braiders will always try and braid it which is a big no-no. I learned through trial and error what works for my hair and my hair thrives off of medium sized individuals. Oh yeah, I don't use human hair, I don't like it much. HTH

sweetpea5000

Denali, my hair has been in individual braids, medium sized, for about three weeks, and I've been using Surge on my scalp only, with no problems so far. I think the key to having healthy hair with braids is to:

1) make sure they aren't too tight or small (especially around the hairline)
2) make sure you keep them properly moisturized daily ( to avoid breakage when you take them out- extensions can be drying)
3) wash at least once a week

Styles and products you use will vary for everyone depending on what your hair likes, but I think that these are the most important guidelines for having healthy hair while in braids.

shoelover1972

Hi Denali

I agree with all the ladies here. I had cornrows for approx 4weeks. LOL - I actually printed off pictures of Cyra to show my hairdresser what I wanted so thanks Cyra!!. My hairdresser's junior did not do them too tight so I did not have a headache when I left the salon. I was also very paranoid about moisturising as I used synthetic hair so I used African Pride braid spray x2 daily and rinsed them every other day and washed about x2 week. I think rinsing them alleviated the itchyness. The last 2 weeks I used Surge on the scalp and sealed with S-curl.

ms_kenesha

pradalover, I took Cybra's pic in with me when I got cornrows as well! Thanks Cybra for the pics!
I, too want to get braids soon I think I will get braids about the size of a Bic pen (like Melodee) said, I want them to be long enough that I can be versatile with them, but big enough that my hair doesn't break off!

LisaG

Hi, these are some of the things that I have given great results:

Do not get micro braids. They are the sexiest but will pull your hair out. The bigger braid the better. There is a method called "Crown and Glory" where she says the pencil size braids are doable. I don't get the braids too long. If I'm going to get cornrows then maybe I'll let them be pass my shoulders. I don't let them stay in longer than a month and a half. In the summer I would rinse my braids everyday and use a little conditioner rinse too. I think that main thing was the S Curl spray that kept my hair from breaking off. I now am using Surge mixture on my scalp. If I can find the ends of my hair within the braid then put mango butter on them but will be switching that to Woojee Cream instead. Water Water Water inside and out.

AJamericanDiva

I use Surge on my scalp, S- curl along the shaft, followed with a coating of Isoplus oil sheen to seal in moisture. I haven't had a problem. These pencil sized braids were put in Dec 28 and I will be removing them this month. Photos are in my album...

melodee

For those getting braids soon, don't forget to request a part in the front. I didn't have one, and my braids kept falling in my face, it was crazy.

keke

love your braids, nonie. That is JUST what i want to do w/my hair next time i braid it. But i dont know how to cornrow. I can do twisties but i'm not that good at doing flat twists. I guess im gonna try to do the flat twists, im just thinking that doing that style will mean i have to redo the front about once a week or so, which doesnt sound too bad exaclty cause its not like im doing all of the hair, but i hope i can style it right. I really love that style u have its very cute.