Help with Braids!!

Boadicea

Ladies, I'm thinking about getting braids and doing the C&G technique to transition. I've already ordered 5 packs (didn't know how much I needed, probably bought too much) of Kanekalon hair (straight). Kanekalon is indeed synthetic hair, right? I'm still sort of new to braids. I've only had them done twice and both times I neither maintained them properly nor did I keep them in for long.

I'm now thinking of having the "wet and wave" style of braids, sort of like this:

I wanted to know, if I braid down a little past where my hair stops and leave the hair out:

1. Do I qualify for the C&G technique? and
2. Do I need a
(braid sealer) to do this?
3. if not, how do I keep the ends from unraveling?

Anyone who has had the wet and wavy style braids, is it harder or easier to maintain? How did you like your results?

I plan on having my mom do it first and if she can't, I will go to a braid salon. I don't want the braids too small. Pencil-width is fine.

Can you guys help me out, please? Thanks

Ennyaa

In the past when I've had braids both salon done and done myself I braid past where the hair is and use regular old crazy glue (thas right the kind you see in the drug store) to seal my braids. I find that is dries quickly, looks good and doesn't catch on my clothes (which is annoying.) So long as you have braided past your own hair it's no problem. BUT for the look in the picture you posted I would do the little knots to stop the braid since you don't want to put any gunk in your own hair. But I'd have to have that done in a salon.

Cleopatra_Jones

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Boadicea said:
2. Do I need a
(braid sealer) to do this?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have that sealer and you only need it when you are braiding synthetic hair to the ends. It burns and cuts the end of the braid, eliminating the need of a cigarette lighter, candle or matches (you don't burn your fingertips or set your fingernails on fire)

adrienne0914

boadicea,

first of all, i wanted to tell you how beautiful your avatar pic is!

second, i'm glad cleo mentioned that you can't use that braid sealer for the look you want. it's really only for when you braid to the end.

all of the braids that i had, i had the ends sealed except for the last ones. i had them braided almost to the end but not quite. they were dipped in hot water as usual, but she just let them hang loose. i was SO paranoid about the braids unraveling. it never happened. i washed and conditioned them weekly, and i never had a problem with one braid coming loose. i said all that to so that i i believe you can achieve this look with just dipping the braids. you might just want to braid more than just a little past where your hair ends.

adrienne

Boadicea

Thank you both for replying! I may just stick with regular individual braids after all. I think for the wet and wavy braids they have to be smaller than how I want them, anyway. Hopefully I'll have my braids in time for the NYC meet.