Best conditioner for cowashing?

OMG, word!!! When I first got on here, people swore by Suave coconut, V05 moisture milks, and white rain. ALL of these turned my hair into a DRY, frizzy mess. To me they even smell like alcohol. HE Hello Hydration is really the only store bought conditioner I will use.

I hate all three of those joints!

I'm 4a and almost 18 months post relaxer. My hair loves to be cowashed with Yes to Cucumbers. :love: :love2: :love3:

ETA: Nowadays I am loving Tresemme Naturals Aloe Vera and Avocado.

Last edited:
Okay here's what I am currently using:

Bear Fruit Hair Conditioning Cleansers
As I Am Naturally Coconut Cowash*have it, but haven't tried it yet*
Hairveda MoistPRO, Moist 24/7 and Acai Phyto Berry
Oyin Handmade Honey Hemp
Claudie Deep Conditioner

I'm mostly 4a and I'm 21 months into my transition. I have tried Aussie Moist (too much build up), V05 Moisture Milks (dry hair, no moisture), HH Hello Hydration( slip galore but too much build up), and Suave Humectant (this is my 2nd choice).

My favorite for the last 6 months has been TRESemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture. I have used it straight, watered down, as a DC with oils and honey, as a base for the Kimmaytube leave in, as a baggie condish. This conditioner has performed every which way. Oh and it smells awesome! And the price it right. At $4.99, when I ask hubs to pick some up on the way home, I get instant cooperation :).

OMG, word!!! When I first got on here, people swore by Suave coconut, V05 moisture milks, and white rain. ALL of these turned my hair into a DRY, frizzy mess.

Yep! The only Suave that works for me is the newer one (Shea Coconut, haven't tried Rosemary Mint). I like any Giovanni conditioner and Marshall's/TJ Maxx have been carrying the big bottles. Hair One works for me, too. Just FYI, I'm 4b/4a natural.

For cowashing I like conditioners that have tea tree, peppermint, and/or rosemary oils in them .. they keep my scalp feeling healthy.

My current faves are Suave Rosemary Mint and GVP Paul Mitchell Tea Tree. I want to try GVP Paul Mitchell Tea Tree & Lavendar next since it's supposed to be more moisturizing and detangling. If they become staples I'll suck it up and buy the real deal lol.

okay I thought it was just me vo5 and suave made my hair dry and crunchy?? Im on the fence about HEHH . SO far only tresemme seems to be doing the job at a good price and better when i mix in my oils.

okay I thought it was just me vo5 and suave made my hair dry and crunchy?? Im on the fence about HEHH . SO far only tresemme seems to be doing the job at a good price and better when i mix in my oils.

I've been putting off using my HEHH as a cowash cause I'm afraid it's gonna make my scalp itch..

None of my oldies are working. My hair is really acting funky lately. She is mad at me about something. I want to try Garnier and Tresemme. I am scared to try Aussie Moist again since my oldies aren't working anymore. I wish I could get my hands on some Skala locally. I think them Spanish conditioners provide lots of slip.

Currently (in no particular order):

Oyin Honey Hemp
Camille Rose Jansyn Moisture Max
Hairveda Moist 24/7, MoistPRO, Acai Phyto Berry
Curls Sublime
Jessicurl Too Shea!
Curl Junkie Argan & Olive

Last edited:
Suave Almond & Shea Butter, VO5 Strawberries and Milk, Pantene for Curly Hair, Aussie Moist.

For me, Tresseme Naturals Nourishing Moisture Conditioner. It is inexpensive (~$5 for 25 ounces), easily available (they sell it at drugstores and Target), and silicone free. It has some USDA certified organic ingredients. It smells amazing. And most importantly, it's very moisturizing. I looooove it!

I use it to cowash, I use it to make my DCs stretch further, and I use it as a leave-in (I slap it on wet or dry hair). It's great!

- Kenra MC diluted with water (this gives the softest, smoothest, yummiest, most moisturized feeling ever - I actually muttered, “What the...?” as I was rinsing my hair)

- As I Am Naturally Coconut CoWash (although it is great on its own, when I added castor and flaxseed oil to it, I was blown away)

I love HEHH. Its cheap enough and awesome for cowashing. And I don't mind cones. V05 didn't work for me at all.

Sent from my DROIDX using DROIDX

Bumping....

BTW Rite Aid has Tresseme Naturals for Buy 1 Get 1 this week. I'm still looking for a good cowash conditioner... Haven't tried Tresseme yet.. Does it leave any buildup over time?

When I was relaxed it was V05 Passionfruit Smoothie Conditioner. But now that I'm transitioning and I need more moisture, I use either Suave Almond & Shea Butter or Trader Joe's Nourish Spa Conditioner.

I love Trader Joe's Tingle Treat Conditioner for co-washing. It cleans my hair and makes my scalp tingle, and detangling is a breeze! I like that I can get 16oz for under $4, I can buy it on the ground, and the ingredients list is pretty good!

But the pj in me is really fien'in for As I Am Naturally Coconut CoWash! I walked by it in Walgreens yester and swore I heard it calling my name...

Back