Best cut for the illusion of thicker hair? BLUNT or LAYERED?

Which cut for the illusion of thicker hair??

• Blunt!

Votes: 71 54.6%
  • Layered!

Votes: 59 45.4%

• Total voters

Dommo

Mainly blunt with long layers(half inch difference from the ends) for body and i agree with some layers at the crown if your hair is really thin.

LaFemmeNaturelle

I think layered gives the ILLUSION of thick hair if your hair is naturally thin because most times you curl or feather the hair which further enhances the illusion. Blunt cuts look thickER on hair that is already thick to me. Ive never seen someone with thin hair with a blunt cut and thought their hair looked thicker. It just looked thin with a blunt cut to me.

Aggie

Definitely blunt because of the ends. Layered will make them look a little anorexic:look:.

DearJohn

It depends if you have thin to normal hair you want layers. They add depth and thickness. if you have very thick hair then layers will reduce the thickness.

So it works opposite for the two types of hair. Blunt cut on thin hair to me makes it look thin because of the lack of body t shows.

topnotch1010

Real Housewife of Houston
Depends on what you're truly going for.

Blunt ends give the hair weight. It makes your hair look heavy, dense, and appear longer than a layered cut at the same length.

Layers give you volume. You get more movement than a blunt cut. I lean towards this one because I like "big hair".

HTH

Sent from TopNotch1010's iPhone using LHCF

Aggie

^^^That's strange how different we are, my hair is bigger when it is bluntly cut, I mean it is gorgeous and looks amazing in a wrap style.

Last edited:

topnotch1010

^^^That's strange how different we are, my hair is bigger when it is bluntly cut, I mean it is gorgeous and looks amazing in a wrap style.

Do you mean denser?

Just think about a stacked haircut vs. a blunt haircut. The stack is meant to give more volume. A blunt cut has almost no volume but it has weight.

IMO, the only time a wrap looks good on a layered cut is when it's a roller wrap and vice versa. Roller wraps look better and hold the curls better than a blunt cut because there's too much weight. That's why you get those pretty wraps. My straight wraps look thin and like crap because my hair is layered and has no weight. It has movement and doesn't look it's best with bone straight styles.

iri9109

i'll probably always keep layers in my hair, because i like volume...even though my hair is already super dense. i think layers are a must for hair APL and shorter if you want to highlight thickness and/or volume...i think blunt cuts look best on BSL and longer hair (except Rocky91 ...her blunt cut was poppin lol) that already has a good amount of density to it...but you also run the risk of your hair looking boring if its super long and blunt cut.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
layered if you wear the hair curly and/or with high volume
blunt if it straight and/or with low volume

i prefer my hair to be blunt cut and lightly layered

tbaby_8

Layered gives you the illussion of having thicker hair. I have fine hair and I keep layers in my hair to give the appearance of thicker hair. If I had a blunt cut, my hair would be all one length and weighed down and thin looking.

Seraphina

I think layered gives the ILLUSION of thick hair if your hair is naturally thin because most times you curl or feather the hair which further enhances the illusion. Blunt cuts look thickER on hair that is already thick to me. Ive never seen someone with thin hair with a blunt cut and thought their hair looked thicker. It just looked thin with a blunt cut to me.

Ya know, I said blunt but after reading this, I think you're right. I already have thick hair so blunt has been my experience. And one of my BFFs has really thick hair as well and got her hair thinned...which involved layers. But, yeah, if you're hair is thin, layers may be the way to go. But I think you have to style it for it to work.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
i'll probably always keep layers in my hair, because i like volume...even though my hair is already super dense. i think layers are a must for hair APL and shorter if you want to highlight thickness and/or volume...i think blunt cuts look best on BSL and longer hair (except @Rocky91 ...her blunt cut was poppin lol) that already has a good amount of density to it...but you also run the risk of your hair looking boring if its super long and blunt cut.
hehe thanks!

I don't know about anyone else, for MY fine hair, it looks better when it's almost all one length. It has more weight.
On natural/curly styles I don't have to worry about the lack of layers, because the varying degrees of shrinkage will create the illusion of natural layers.
and on straight hair, you can always create mock layers with feathered curls-it's not hard at all.

topnotch1010

^^^ feathered curls are for layered hair. There's no such thing as feathered curls for blunt hair. It`s all one length and too heavy. It`ll look like flips.

Sent from Topnotch1010's Samsung Galaxy Tablet using LHCF

Aggie

Do you mean denser?

Just think about a stacked haircut vs. a blunt haircut. The stack is meant to give more volume. A blunt cut has almost no volume but it has weight.

IMO, the only time a wrap looks good on a layered cut is when it's a roller wrap and vice versa. Roller wraps look better and hold the curls better than a blunt cut because there's too much weight. That's why you get those pretty wraps. My straight wraps look thin and like crap because my hair is layered and has no weight. It has movement and doesn't look it's best with bone straight styles.

I totally understand your logic but I can only speak for my own hair's texture. All around my hair just looks better with a blunt cut. I used to have it layered and because it was so fine, it always looked anorexic (thin through and through) until I started to have it bluntly cut.

Even when I have my hair in those big roller-sets, my hair looks a lot better/fuller having a blunt cut. This way I have more strands covering all the fine areas of my head, so my hair looks thicker all over.

I think layers are wonderful for thick haired ladies who want a less than full look - it gives them an illusion of a little thinness yet it keeps the whole head looking full and thick at the same time but not overly so.

pisceschica

Blunt! Layered will take thickness awya from your ends.
But that depends on your hair density and the difference in length between the shortest layer and overall length.

Someone who had a thick head of hair and shortest layer being a drastic diff w/ overall length wouldn't have that problem.

But someone like me who is in the medium fine category too many layers (drastic diff btwn shortest layer/overall length) can make the hair look thinner..so I usually only do layers that are face framing in front with no more than 2 inch diff from overall length through the rest of my hair.

Last edited:

virtuenow

Layered. IF you go with a blunt cut and you have thin hair, this blunt style will just expose your thinness. A layered look, however, gives the illusion of thicker and FULLER hair. IF each layer is curled just right, it lays on top of the next layer giving the appearance of more hair.

topnotch1010

I totally understand your logic but I can only speak for my own hair's texture. All around my hair just looks better with a blunt cut. I used to have it layered and because it was so fine, it always looked anorexic (thin through and through) until I started to have it bluntly cut.

Even when I have my hair in those big roller-sets, my hair looks a lot better/fuller having a blunt cut. This way I have more strands covering all the fine areas of my head, so my hair looks thicker all over.

I think layers are wonderful for thick haired ladies who want a less than full look - it gives them an illusion of a little thinness yet it keeps the whole head looking full and thick at the same time but not overly so.

Oh I wasn't debating that. I'm sure you know the best way to wear your hair. I was saying the same thing you are, your wrap looks fuller because you have weight, whereas someone like me with layers wrap looks like crap because of the layers. Blunt=weight, layers=volume. That's why I said it depends on what look she's really going for to really say what cut would look best on her.

zzirvingj

Layered. IF you go with a blunt cut and you have thin hair, this blunt style will just expose your thinness. A layered look, however, gives the illusion of thicker and FULLER hair. IF each layer is curled just right, it lays on top of the next layer giving the appearance of more hair.

HHmmm this makes sense...

zzirvingj

My hair is just touching my bra strap at the moment. I want it to look thicker. I don't mind cutting it to APL is I have to do so....just was wondering if I should go with layers or go blunt...my hair was always super thick so I can't remember either style making my hair look any thicker...but now since it's thinner I'm trying to decide which cut would help me get a thicker look.

Aggie

Oh I wasn't debating that. I'm sure you know the best way to wear your hair. I was saying the same thing you are, your wrap looks fuller because you have weight, whereas someone like me with layers wrap looks like crap because of the layers. Blunt=weight, layers=volume. That's why I said it depends on what look she's really going for to really say what cut would look best on her.

Agreed, but I don't like my hair curled so I guess blunt is indeed best for me. I like it flowing and wrapped straight with a slight bump at the end. I feel I look ugly with my hair slightly curled throughout my whole head. I like it either very curly or very straight - no in between, strange huh?