Best of Both Worlds *singing*

[ QUOTE ]
RushGirl said:
[Question: If you go to Curve to have it done at first..won't you always have to go back there for the touchups?

[/ QUOTE ]

Possibly. But at least they could give me an idea of how long to process the different textures on my head if I ever decide to do it myself or allow someone else to do it. I don't like the idea of experimenting on my own head.
nono.gif
Last year I bought a relaxer for strand tests and I chickened out.
crazy.gif
But I wouldn't mind a trip to NYC a few times a year. I could go to all the cool bss and stock up on my favorite Dominican hair products.
lick.gif

Isis had her hair done at Curve, moved away and does it herself now. There may be someone else, too...

Yah, you could do that..go there a few times...gather all of the info and just do it yourself like Isis does.. I really want one now.. I hope I can deal with not relaxing my hair for months and months so that I can get one.. so far it's been 8 weeks.. which is the longest I've ever gone because I wasn't taking good care of my hair before.. and it's really no big deal..so far..lol So, do you think you'll get one Sassygirl??

[ QUOTE ]
RushGirl said:
So, do you think you'll get one Sassygirl??

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt it, but I'm not ruling it out completely.

Brit's gonna die over here....don't die yet I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet. I'll go into more detail about the "ramifications" of me getting a texturizer later.

[ QUOTE ]
Karonica said:
[ QUOTE ]
CaramelHonee said:
I never really thought about having different hair textures throughout my hair or even overlapping for that matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can vouch for the multiple textures. You don't want it, trust me.
sekret.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I can imagine if i texturized i would be looking like a hot mess because of the multiple textures on my head. Some parts would get curlier and some would get straighter.

People should realize that a texturizer only gives you a looser version of what you already have. if your hair is mostly 4b kinky frizz with no curl definition a silkener will just give you a straightish blowout look. Not everyone is going to come out with perfect 3b/c curls like the ones on the site, that is unless you had existing curl definition to begin with.

Im sure Curve does hundreds of silkeners a month and of course as with all advertising they're only going to show the best looking ones on their website.

just something to think about

According to Andre's book, texturizers don't work on 4b hair.
have 3 different textures and remember my hair looking a mess after a texturizer MIND YOU it was done by a stylist who knew, in my opnion and based on the results, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about my hair and its type. My 3c sections were ultra straight; my 4a sections were wavy/curly; 4b sections fuzzy
if you can find someone who can see your different textures and time each texture differently it may turn out prety good, IMO.
So, it may work out for you.

Ms. Kenesha I am sooooooooooooooooooo in the same boat you are!!! I've cut my hair down to only 1/2 an inch of relaxed on top for spike effect. The other 2 inches are my natural hair. And now I'm feeling bad too for wanting the texturizer when I was "all set to go 100% Natural" and all. :-( Geesh! What's a girl to do???? I also cut off about 11 inches of very healthy relaxed, 3 inches from bra strap hair!! (I'm not worried about that so much though because luckily my hair has always grown pretty fast.) Though I am still adjusting to my new short do! But I wonder like you, will it look as nice on short hair?? Will I like it?? Like you, I don't want to have to walk around for several months looking like a hot mess!! That was funny!!

Well I already "sold-out". Model Chick got to me when I first joined! I couldn't take another snapped, dry end and another summer of running from water. What's the point of having all this danggit hair and being held prisoner?! I LOVE that I can wash my hair every day and know that it's not going to take me an hour to detangle, another 40 mins to blow dry and another 35 mins to flat iron. I suffered no ill effects from texturizing. No dryness or breakage has occurred. If I may say so myself, texturizing is the ish!!!!!!!!!!!
smile.gif
And the best thing is I'm losing way less hair on wash day b/c I'm not tangling!!

Life is good over here y'all!
laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Ipanema said:
I thought of getting a texturizer, too, but I don't think my hair can take chemicals. The only time it looked okay & felt strong with a chemical is when I had a Wave Nouveau. It grew to mid-back, but my "trusted" stylist of 2 years didn't neutralize properly & it started coming out in clumps. I don't trust stylists anymore & I'd be too afraid to do it myself (afraid it might get in my eyes or something).

[/ QUOTE ]
Tell us more about the "Wave Nouveau".

I'm about to get a texturizer... My hair is about 3-4 inches long and I just want to see more of the length, define my curls... My hair is growing like crazy since going natural, wearing my hair back in cornrows and wearing a cap weave. I'm a little apprehensive because I went natural for the purpose of my hair tolerating blonde coloring. I too have different textures on my head - 3c/4a around the edges and bottom - kinkier 4a (not b) elsewhere - my mom is a 3b or C - she just texturized her new growth by accident using the mild Clairol Textures and Tones Relaxer - I think this may be good.

[ QUOTE ]
LisaG said:
Tell us more about the "Wave Nouveau".

[/ QUOTE ]

It's like a curly perm or jheri curl. You use glycerin-based products on it, but it's supposed to be drier & less greasy. Also, you're supposed to be able to wear it either curly or straight. I wore mine in a curly ponytail most of the time, and used Carefree Curl Gold. It was pretty low-maintenace. I'd wear a scarf to bed (not a plastic cap), apply the lotion in the morning, slap it into a ponytail, and go. It does have it's cons, though.

I have considered texturizing too, but I'm trying to resist the urge. My relaxed hair was texturized basically, I used to wear it curly all the time. But it seemed thinner compared to now, I am doing so much better with my hair. What really gets to me is the shrinkage, it takes so much growth for it to make a noticeable difference. Not to mention the detangling, which seems to take forever and my hair is only 7-9 inches long. But I am going to try to stick it out, because I don't wanna ruin the progress I've made. I think my hairtype is 4a, maybe a little 3c in the back.

When I get the urge, I just put my hair in braids. I think I'll be happier with my natural hair once it gets a little longer.

I agree..I went natural for almost two years but couldnt handle my 'kinky' hair (I think Im a 4b but I have very little definition in many areas of my hair)...anwyays the texturizer was not cute I was very disappointed and it cost a lot of money, I ended up relaxing it for about 6 mths and then started regrowing it natutal..I still want to try the texturizer because Im impatient with hair (hence the constant braid regimen) BUT Im also scared Ill end up with straight frizzy hair like I did the last time however the stylist who did it had never done a texturizer although she was the best stylist Ive had till date. Maybe if I go to curve? the hair rules girl did look 4b and in the book he never discussed curl pattern so???

I wont get one because my hair already look "texturized" which Im tired of people asking that question (people who know me in person not from the board). I thnik if I texturized my curls will turn into waves which is something I dont want. Some times I wish I had a more coily affect, because when I do a wash n go it looks like a jheri curl
laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
CaramelHonee said:
Your hair is PERFECT Ayeshia... DO NOT CHANGE IT!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks CH
laugh.gif
but I dont think its perfect I have a looooooong way to go
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Natural_Girl said:
According to Andre's book, texturizers don't work on 4b hair.
have 3 different textures and remember my hair looking a mess after a texturizer MIND YOU it was done by a stylist who knew, in my opnion and based on the results, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about my hair and its type. My 3c sections were ultra straight; my 4a sections were wavy/curly; 4b sections fuzzy
if you can find someone who can see your different textures and time each texture differently it may turn out prety good, IMO.
So, it may work out for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think if you have multiple textures and you really want to do a texturizer you would have to really analyze the hair to determine your loosely curled areas and avoid getting the relaxer on them or lessening the time the chemical sits on those areas. Basically "spot" texturizing. But that seems time consuming and even then there is still a risk of over processing those areas. especially when you wash the chemical out. And of course with every touch up when your rinsing it out it may eventually get straighter cause u cant prevent it from coming in contact with the previously texturized hair. i hope that made sense
look.gif

[ QUOTE ]
kerplunky said:
[ QUOTE ]
brittanynic16 said:
Everyone's hair is perfect.
ohwell.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree
look.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Triple Ditto

[ QUOTE ]
naughteegirl said:
I agree..I went natural for almost two years but couldnt handle my 'kinky' hair (I think Im a 4b but I have very little definition in many areas of my hair)...anwyays the texturizer was not cute I was very disappointed and it cost a lot of money, I ended up relaxing it for about 6 mths and then started regrowing it natutal..I still want to try the texturizer because Im impatient with hair (hence the constant braid regimen) BUT Im also scared Ill end up with straight frizzy hair like I did the last time however the stylist who did it had never done a texturizer although she was the best stylist Ive had till date. Maybe if I go to curve? the hair rules girl did look 4b and in the book he never discussed curl pattern so???

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly how my mom is, and the rest of my family in Nigeria. My mom in particular says she can't 'manage' her natural hair. She's also rough with her hair and doesn't take her time with it. Given, she did try when she shaved off her head of looong relaxed hair (for ceremonial purposes), but once her fro grew out 2" she was back on the chem's. She wears a texturizer now and, as usual, it looks very nice on her. Her hair hasn't stopped growing either. She's always been able to grow out her hair just before bra strap--she should be there again in a few years. It's very low maintenance for her. All she does is spritz her Sta Sof Fro and her hair is in shiny curls again. But ofcourse she has to go to the salon every month to get it re-done, and yell at the stylist when she does stupid things like using a different brand without telling her.

No matter what you decide to do, weight the pros and cons
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Bublnbrnsuga said:
[ QUOTE ]
kerplunky said:
[ QUOTE ]
brittanynic16 said:
Everyone's hair is perfect.
ohwell.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree
look.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Triple Ditto

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen, y'all

Okay everyone thanks for listening and giving me the real "low down" on texturizers. I think my issue is this...shrinkage and length. I think that once my hair is longer I will be ever so happy with it. I am not a fan of shrinkage, just am not.
nono.gif
But I know that shrinkage goes with the territory of being natural. I think I'm gonna get some twists or braids and call it a day (or a month to be exact) and re-evaluate later. I don't believe that I will put any chemical straightener/texturizer in my hair until I've had natural hair for at least a year. I don't want to tex. because I've "given" up on my natural hair; I was considering it as puff would say as a "style option".
smile.gif

Back