Best way to style your hair in the dead of winter

melodee

Does anyone have any suggestions on a way to style with minimum heat in the wintertime. I miss my three times a week conditioner washes, but it's too darned cold to let my hair air dry. And the minute I start using curling/flat iron I get split ends and brittle hair. This weather is putting a hurting on my once very hydrated locks. Are there still any daily or frquent washers who live in the colder areas?

katie

I condition wash my hair twice a week in the winter.I wash it around 7pm at night,squeeze out excess water gently,add leave ins etc and put in a pony,cover with my silk scarf.
Next morning my hair is slightly damp.The squeezing of xs water is important since my hair would still be wet in the morning if I didn't do this.

Nyambura

surfer girl
Yeah, y'all back east have been enjoying a Minnesota winter!
Seriously, I hope everyone stays warm and survives the cold snap. Harsh winters are definitely a rude shock to the system if you're not used to them.

<ul type="square"> [*]I cornrow my hair which allows me to moisturize my hair without manipulating it and it also reduces the amount of time I have to spend on my hair. I find myself moisturizing my hair throughout the day because the air up here has so little moisture. [*]I always cover my head before going outside - first with a double-folded silk scarf, then with a thick woolen or acrylic hat that covers not only my hair but my ears as well (since wind chill is no joke!). The cornrows cover easily! [*]I rebraid my hair weekly, after a full shampoo and deep condition or warm oil treatment. [/list]

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
Its been hella cold up here where I live and I still condtioner wash every other day and shampoo/deep condition every Sat. I do my co washes at night, moisturize and air dry. When I get up in the morning if my hair is still damp I put a silk scarf over my hair and then put on a hat. On the days in between my co wash I mist my hair until damp with my own mix of distilled water and glycerin.

I quit using heat on my hair about six weeks ago and I can see a difference. I wasn't sure with this cold MA weather that I could wash every other day but I found a way. I alternate between braid outs, french rolls and buns depending on the look I want.

One last thing, if I wear a braid out to work I carry a small spray bottle of distilled water and glycerin to mist my hair for miosture (not to dampen).

The cold up here ain't no joke but I am serious about my hair goals so I have to find ways to work around the weather. So far so good! Hope this helps.

chocochiquita86

im in pa...its been icy 4 a good while here and i wash once per week...i dont use n e heat w/the exception of when im doin a deep conditioning treatment, which is a everytime i wash...i usually just wash my hair, condition and do a hot oil treatment @ the same time (i get under 1 of those cap dryers w/a shower cap over my hair), and then i just comb, bun it, and let it air dry. the easiest way is 2 let it dry while u sleep, then comb in the morning, and putting it back into a bun. i just make sure that any wet parts are down inside of my hair so it doesnt get cold. this is easy 4 me b/c i wash my hair on a night when i know i wont b busy and when dont have n e special plans beside school the next day.

melodee

For those who co wash nightly, is it easy to sleep with damp hair? How long is your hair? And in the am, is it dry? Or do you go out with slightly damp hair. My hair is an inch from bra strap and it is like a sponge( it takes forever to dry). I'd like to co wash more often, cause this dry weather is messing up my hair. How do you style it?

Nyambura, I think rows are a great option for the colder months, even though everyone equates them with summertime.

Isis

[ QUOTE ]
simplycee said:
One last thing, if I wear a braid out to work I carry a small spray bottle of distilled water and glycerin to mist my hair for miosture (not to dampen).

[/ QUOTE ]

Simplycee- does misting your your braidout with the glycerin/distilled water mixture make your hair frizz up at all? I use this spray to wet my ends and put them back up in a bun but not to spray all over. Can you share your hair type also? Thanks.

Nyambura

surfer girl
Yeah, I used to think cornrows were for summertime too but I get fickle about hairstyles and wanted something even easier than daily rinsing/CO washing and then making a wet bun. What's the saying? "Laziness is the Mother of Invention?" Oh wait - I think it's Necessity is the Mother of Invention.

Back to the topic:
For those who co wash nightly, is it easy to sleep with damp hair?
<font color="brown"> I found it extremely easy to sleep with damp hair while wearing a silk/satin scarf.</font>

How long is your hair?
<font color="brown">I haven't gotten a touchup in about 4 months so I don't know my true length, but with shrinkage, my hair falls between my shoulder blades. </font>

And in the am, is it dry? Or do you go out with slightly damp hair?
<font color="brown">When I used to daily rinse or CO wash, by the time I woke up the outside of my hair would be totally dry, except for the bun part which I would cover with a baggie. Then again, the air up here has very little moisture/humidity and we don't have a humidifier indoors either ... so maybe my drying time is faster than it otherwise would be. Regardless, I keep my hair covered whenever I head outside which:
1. Protects my hair from the super-dry air and
2. Keeps me warm since we lose most of our body heat through our heads.</font>

How do you style it?
<font color="brown">I usually put a phonytail over the bun. I don't just stop at the dark stocking to cover the baggie but do the full phonytail. I want as many layers of protection between me and the harsh weather as possible!</font> HTH!

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
Isis
Misting my hair doesn't make it frizz because during the day I am misting for moisture not to make it damp. I struggle with what exactly my hair type is.....its thick, thick and medium/coarse. I'm a little under 3 inches from bra strap.