what does your winter reggie consist of....

br0wney3z

This is my first winter of practicing good hair care and I am not sure how its gonna go as the weather starts to turn colder. First off, I am getting a bit paranoid b/c I feel as though my protective style is starting to fail me. I ususally wear my hair in a bun, but recently I have been noticing that I am getting a lot of broken hairs when I do this; also, b/c I have started wearing sweaters that are made of synthetic, harsh fibers, I am scared that my nape hair which is too short to fit the bun are constantly rubbing against it.

So what do you ladies do to protect the health of your hair when the weather starts to turn cold?!?!

Royal Glory

• I deep condition often, practically with every shampoo.
  • Moisturize and seal the ends nightly.
  • When it it extremely cold and/or windy, I cover my head with a pretty scarf when I am outside. Some ladies, wear loose fitting hats with satin linings.
  • You're right. The ends of longer hair don't endure as much friction as shoulder length. And if you are concerned about the nape of your neck, you can try using silk scarves around the collars of your wool or cotton sweaters, blazers, and coats to keep the rough fibers from rubbing. They make nice accessories too.
  • Wear smoother fabrics when you want to wear your hair down.
  • Some "protective styles" don't actually require that you tuck in the ends of your hair, as long as you wear your hair up to keep the vulnerable shoulder-length ends from rubbing your clothes. Also when you do wear your hair down, try wearing your hair flipped up so the ends don't brush up against the clothes.
  • Try wearing your hair in a french roll or french twist or use some bear claws or pretty clips. That way, you are not using a pony tail holder too often.
Most of my hair was right at shoulder length last winter so I had to be particularly careful, last year. I will still need to this year because some of the layers are just reaching shoulder. Maybe by next year, it won't be as critical. Hope those ideas help. HHG!

almondjoi85

This is the first winter that I am trying to have healthier hair but I am just planning on paying attention to my hair and tweaking my normal routine if need be. I imagine it will need more moisture so I'm expecting and anticipating that. But otherwise, I'm not planning on changing anything.