*BEWARE* OF Internet HAIR Pirators!

Kimberly

I guess I'm in the minority...I would take it as a compliment. Somehow it seems that all of this was blown out of proportion here and over there. But, then again, no one's borrowing my pics and praising my hair/growth/progress...so... :ohwell:

Amber_moon

I guess I'm in the minority...I would take it as a compliment. Somehow it seems that all of this was blown out of proportion here and over there. But, then again, no one's borrowing my pics and praising my hair/growth/progress...so... :ohwell:

I agree with you. I think this has been blown WAY out of proportion.

napgurl

Wow . . . she had bad judgement. I think a PM message to the OP and a post correcting your regimen would have been sufficient. I think her intent was innocent even though her actions were very short-sighted. You've made great progress I hope this doesn't hinder you sharing with us.

Last edited:

caribeandiva

Human being
She actually didn't state the pics were hers. She posted chavas pics but wasn't 100% on info she gave. She should have gotten permission,no doubt.

IMO, I think she was just tryna help her hair sisters out!She went about it the wrong way though...
ITA. i read the first 3 pages and nowhere did she say those were her pics. She should've asked for permission before she posted them but she was excited about your progress.

locabouthair

From reading your original post, it would sound like the young lady used your pics to pretend as if they were her own.

Now I see that she was just making a thread to encourage others and give you compliments. Should she have gotten her facts straight? YES! Is it that serious to where you have to threaten to to involve legal actions? NO.

The "Hair Care Tips and Product Review Discussion" is accessible to all, so that's the risk that one takes when posting pictures on a very public message board.

Take care, and yes, in the end, everyone should still be aware of what could happen to pictures.

ITA!!!!!!!

wannabelong

She actually didn't state the pics were hers. She posted chavas pics but wasn't 100% on info she gave. She should have gotten permission,no doubt.

IMO, I think she was just tryna help her hair sisters out!She went about it the wrong way though...

Well, where I come from, taking anything without permission is stealing.

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
I really don't think the lady who posted your pics was trying to steal them or intentionally give false info about your regimen. She sounded really excited about the technique you used to get such good growth. She was really paying you a compliment but yes she could have run it by you first. But hey, we all learnt A LOT from this one!

sunshinelady

I don't think she meant any harm. Nonetheless, the problem is that you weren't given a choice about the posting of your information. I'm sure that if you wanted that information put on BHM, then you would have posted it over there yourself.

Nonetheless, this is an inherent risk to internet use. Now, if this was on the Lace Front board at BHM, the ladies would have jumped all over her for posting your pics.

shynessqueen

I'm with you on this.

gorgeoushair

From reading your original post, it would sound like the young lady used your pics to pretend as if they were her own.

Now I see that she was just making a thread to encourage others and give you compliments. Should she have gotten her facts straight? YES! Is it that serious to where you have to threaten to to involve legal actions? NO.

The "Hair Care Tips and Product Review Discussion" is accessible to all, so that's the risk that one takes when posting pictures on a very public message board.

Take care, and yes, in the end, everyone should still be aware of what could happen to pictures.

I agree..... I thought someone stole pics and was saying it was theirs.

justNikki

I also agree. The woman did this as a compliment. Not everyone uses the same protocol for this type of thing. You see people post links for hair albums that they love all over various hairboards. If it bothers you, why not ask her to remove it and call it a day?

It is the internet and these are hairboards so being offended that someone had the nerve to compliment you on a different hairboard is a bit odd. :perplexed

Healthb4Length

W:blush:w! Situation blown way out of control on both sides. It did not need to get that UGLY! A simple yet direct PM telling her to get rid of the pics would have worked...that's just me though. Threatening legal actions...Um no:perplexed.

SouthernJewel

exceeding expectations...
Well, where I come from, taking anything without permission is stealing.

We shall disagree.:yep: I think ole girl was just excited about MN and posted ms.chava pics without
thinking it would be no biggie... :ohwell:

ITA TSU,it's not that serious.But it's not our pic,chava feels she was out of line then she has all rights to think so... :yep:

brittanynic16

W:blush:w! Situation blown way out of control on both sides. It did not need to get that UGLY! A simple yet direct PM telling her to get rid of the pics would have worked...that's just me though. Threatening legal actions...Um no:perplexed.

I agree! No need to get the MAN involved!

bluediamond0829

Seriously i was the one to contact Chavas because i admired her growth when i saw her post in another thread.. my way of gaining information about a members regimen is by reading thru her hair post and checking her regimen and fotki--but i guess everyone doesnt follow the same steps...and this is the practice i have used with anyone since ive joined the LHCF or any other hair forum.

When i went over to BHM lurking i saw the hair photos and noticed how familiar the pics looked...i also stated on page 2 that it wasnt true about her growth being all credited towards MN...and thought that it was only right that Chavas come and state what her regimen was to the ladies...but didnt mean to discredit the young lady on BHM but to let her know that it was misleading information that she gave about this particular member using MN. i thought that this was misleading to anyone..case in point what if i only used one thread--of course my first thought wouldve been like why would she have posted someone elses success and not her owns....and found it weird. But still every product doesnt work for everyone...

I remember this issued arised before and turned into a big turmoil...

i didnt mean to instigate anything and i made it clear to BHM members and to Chavas that i wasnt trying to instigate anything. Old saying 'its best to hear it from the horses mouth'

Bint Yusef

I think so, especially the whole threatening of legal action. Sorry, but its not that serious. The girl was not posing with the photos as hers, she was using them for demonstrative purposes. Should she have gotten permission, yes? But she didnt have any ill intent. Ive also seen people do that here, random hair girls in your avatar and sigs and such, even posting links to people's albums. That is just internet culture and a risk you take when you put your pics up.

DivaRox

Maybe she posted that *cough* legal threat in the heat of the moment. I also think everybody can decide for themselves how serious something is to them, especially if they feel a sense of violation. How you handle it though is key. It's making a bigger stink going back and forth instead of just saying thank you ladies, but here is my actual regimen. *Shrugs* Anyway, I want to join the hair to my assie club-anybody else?:giggle:

lilamae

:lachen::lachen:It's Kwanza folks, today is the first day I believe it UJOMA (sp)...Unity. Let's have unity in the hair care community!:lachen:

:lachen::lachen::lachen: Really!!! people have been on some real unnecsessary stuff on the hair boards lately..lets leave all of this nonsense in 2007 please ladies. Geez.

Appreciate the fact that she complimented your growth, but ask her if she can please remove the photos. It's that simple.:yep:

Nita81

ITA. This was really blown out of proportion. The OP on BHM didn't mean any harm. Yes she should have asked for permission first before posting. But threatening legal action over hair pics was a bit extra IMO.

Last edited:

shocol

Maybe she posted that *cough* legal threat in the heat of the moment. I also think everybody can decide for themselves how serious something is to them, especially if they feel a sense of violation. How you handle it though is key. It's making a bigger stink going back and forth instead of just saying thank you ladies, but here is my actual regimen. *Shrugs* Anyway, I want to join the hair to my assie club-anybody else?:giggle:

I'm in and make that hair grow to my assie real quick ,since I BC a few months ago. :yep:

Priss Pot

Makeup + Bench Pressing
I agree! No need to get the MAN involved!

I agree! If the MAN gets involved, he might shut down all hairboards because we've posed a threat to the community...or he may make us pay taxes :shocked: :nono: :spinning:

Let's get it together, people!

Rule of thumb: If you're unsure about whether to post someone's pics or not, just don't do it.

Solved that problem

Barbara

Princess
I am sure it was just a misunderstanding. I am sure she was excited by your growth and what she thought was your regimen and wanted to share with others. This is the internet and unfortunately things like this happen when you decide to share. If it was face pics I would be more upset but these are backshots of growth.

ETA: I didn't really read all the stuff so if i'm wrong then i'm wrong

I agree because she wanted the same or similar results, but she should have asked if it was okay for her to post your pictures on another hair board. I think she was just excited; not meaning any harm. :blush:

song_of_serenity

Yes, I believe a lesson was indeed learned here. I think heat of the moment/excitement tangled the lines of communication on both ends. Let's just not feed more into the negative aspect of things and learn from it.

Even though yes, the net is public domain, it's still common courtesy to ask permission before posting a person's picture elsewhere, and double check information before posting "for" the person. And while we may be angry, sometimes acting in the heat of (justified) anger often blows things out of proportion. :) Let's move forth. Great hair progress, though!
~*Janelle~*